Carnival called me regarding an upgrade!

trpschick

We are booked on the Destiny on April 16th, 2009 in an inside cabin on the Verandah deck (There are 5 of us....2 adults and 3 children). I got a message on my machine from Carnival today, stating that they would like to offer an upgrade. This has never happened to me before and I would like to know if anyone knows what this means? and if this would be worth pursuing. Of course the reason we booked an inside cabin for the 5 of us was the price and I feel that we got a pretty decent deal (1434.15 for all 5 of us)....it is the 4 day cruise that goes to Key West and Cozumel. If anyone can give me some good info I would greatly appreciate it!

Depends on exactly what they are offering. If it is a true "upgrade" and not an "upsell" ~ might be a great thing. Personally, I have never thought moving from a lower deck to a higher one in the same cabin category (in your case, inside cabin) was an upgrade. I like being down low on the ship.

Now, if they are offering to move you to an oceanview or balcony....then that is a different matter. If offering to switch you for free......go for it! If they are offering an upsell, where you have to pay to switch....it just depends on whether you think it would be worth that amount of money to have a different type of cabin. Good luck! :)

Carnival called our TA on one of our cruises and offered and upgrade. We had a balcony and we were offered a suite. I asked "what's the catch?", found out it was for real, they wanted our balcony cabin for a family of 4 and it had a pull down. We LOVED our upgraded Suite! Call and find out what they are offering, it miight be a good thing!

trpschick ~ before you call Carnival back, it would be a good idea to go to their website and check what the prices are for different cabins. Check the price of a couple of oceanview cabins...like a 6A and a 6B. Then check balcony cabins....8A and 8B. Then write down those prices and have it in front of you when you call them.

That way, if they are offering an upsell, where you have to pay more money to get a better cabin.....you will know how much those cabins are selling for on the ship. Then you can compare that to how much you already paid for the inside cabin and determine if it's a good deal or not. If you paid $500 pp and the OV is selling for $600 pp and they want to upgrade you for an additional $150 pp ~ then that is obviously not a very good deal as it is $50 more than what they are selling for online.

I forgot to mention that our cabin is on the Verandah deck (Cat. 4E I think) does that make a difference? What could they upgrade us to? I was checking on the website and it says that their Suites only sleep 4 but we have five. Any ideas?

We are booked on the Destiny on April 16th, 2009 in an inside cabin on the Verandah deck (There are 5 of us....2 adults and 3 children). I got a message on my machine from Carnival today, stating that they would like to offer an upgrade. This has never happened to me before and I would like to know if anyone knows what this means? and if this would be worth pursuing. Of course the reason we booked an inside cabin for the 5 of us was the price and I feel that we got a pretty decent deal (1434.15 for all 5 of us)....it is the 4 day cruise that goes to Key West and Cozumel. If anyone can give me some good info I would greatly appreciate it!

I forgot to mention that our cabin is on the Verandah deck (Cat. 4E I think) does that make a difference? What could they upgrade us to? I was checking on the website and it says that their Suites only sleep 4 but we have five. Any ideas?

Upgrade could be to any category. Carnival will answer that question if you call them.

Chances are they are trying to upsell you.

You will have to compare rates to decide if it's a good deal.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for an inside to suite move.

I wouldn't get your hopes up for an inside to suite move.

Well, it may be to a suite, but Id guess not a free move. OP doesnt sound like they want to pay extra to be upsold if she says they booked because of the price in the first place.

I checked their website and the only cabins they have left are a few inside cabins on the main deck that are a lower catagory then what we have now. One OV with a king, convertible sofa and one upper and 10 suites. So, I am going to call them tomorrow and see what they have to offer. Wouldn't an offer of an inside on the main deck be a downgrade from what I have now? Verandah deck, midship, close to elevators, king bed with 2 uppers.

I checked their website and the only cabins they have left are a few inside cabins on the main deck that are a lower catagory then what we have now. One OV with a king, convertible sofa and one upper and 10 suites. So, I am going to call them tomorrow and see what they have to offer. Wouldn't an offer of an inside on the main deck be a downgrade from what I have now? Verandah deck, midship, close to elevators, king bed with 2 uppers.

yes the move from a 4e to a 4b is a downgrade and considering your central location it'd have to be a nice OBC type deal for me to accept it! Having said that, with only one OV and a bunch of suites available I'd deffinately call and inquire what they have to offer.

I agree with the going online and checking prices of the cabins available before calling to make sure you have a good deal in front of you or not. I also write down some of the prices when I book of different categories. That way when they call and want to upsell me I can say "well if I had originally booked that cabin it would have been X dollars" and negotiate from there. Now personally with my current booking I have an extended aft balcony and the upgrade to a suite would be a hard decision for me. LOL you might see me here asking opinions if they were to offer it. Give up extra deep balcony for a bigger room and extra long balcony that's not as deep..... throw in VIP checkin and it get to be a tough decision.

Keep us posted as to what they offered as an upgrade if you will. Inquiring minds want to know...

Just curious....how can you tell by looking at the website what cabins are left? I thought you had to call to get that info?

Hurry & call them & let us know, before they offer it to someone else!!!!LOL

I got an upsell call last year. Went from a balcony on Panarama to a suite for 300.00 total not PP. We enjoyed the extra space since we had three in the cabin but the regular price wouldn't have been enough for me to justify.

Did you call yet? Offers only good for a short time so I hope if it was a cheap suite offer you get it. It may have been to a higher non suite category and someone else already took them up on it. That is why it's no longer showing another room online.

We got an up sell call last year so move from a Spa O/V cabin (which we had moved to from a main O/V cabin because the price had dropped) to one of the new suites they had just put in the Liberty - we would have only been the 2nd people in one but they wanted $300 each - 4 of us = $1200 would have been wonderful, but we had to say no, I could not justify paying that much extra when we already had a great cabin.

Just curious....how can you tell by looking at the website what cabins are left? I thought you had to call to get that info?

Do a "pretend booking"......go to your ship and date and act like you are going to book. It will take you to a page that shows the available cabins in each category. Just don't click on "book this"! :eek:

trpschick........please let us know what you find out. :)

Here is the deal (HA HA) on the upgrade (really not an upgrade like her message said......an upsell is more like it...and a crappy one at that). Anyway, she offered me the OV with the King Bed, convertible sofa and 1 upper for $100pp, that would be a total of $500. I politely informed her that at that price I will keep the cabin that I have since the savings for me would only total around $60 total had I originally booked an OV. I also let her know that my original cabin is on a higher deck and has 2 uppers. Since we have 5 people (3 children, the rollaway that they bring in at bedtime would suit my 8 year old just fine. For us to take the OV would mean that my 8 year old would have to share the King with us. I did let her know that if she would like to upgrade us to a Suite for that price that I would be willing to consider that. She did not answer me but she did not say no either. I told her that if she needed to check with someone for approval on that that she could call me back anytime. We will see what happens!

Archived