Tulum Excursion

pbk917

Has anyone done the excursion to Tulum through the ship? Any thoughts/information would be helpful. It's a long day, is lunch served?

Thanks.

Song of Norway 4/88

Horizon 4/01

Millennium 4/03

Century 7/04

We did the Galaxy's Tulum excursion in November 2002. Tulum is absolutely spectacular with the Mayan ruins perched on a cliff above the Caribbean. Very enjoyable. We had a box lunch on the bus. We also had around an hour to spend in Playa del Carmen.

The boat ride over can be a little choppy, so if you or travel companion(s) are prone to sea sickness, you might want to take something before the trip over to Playa del Carmen and/or the way back.

Celebrity Galaxy Eastern Caribbean 3/25/2002 & 11/24/2003; Celebrity Galaxy Western Caribbean 11/22/2002 & 4/18/2003; Celebrity Millennium Mediterranean 9/8/2003

Ditto the last poster. It's a good excursion but that ferry ride can be bad. There have been several threads with people complaining they should have been warned in advance about the ferry ride. Personally, we didn't find it that choppy when we went but it's something to keep in mind if you have motion sickness. The ruins are very nice. If you are going in July it will be very hot so bring plenty of water and stay hydrated.

<applet code="countdown.class" CODEBASE="http://*************/java-sys" width="203" height="25">

<param name="font" value="lcdb0">

<param name="year" value=2004>

<param name="month" value=03>

<param name="day" value=19>

<param name="hour" value=17>

</applet>

Donuts, is there anything they can't do....

I did this tour while on Galaxy in August 2003. Seeing the Tulum Ruins is an incredibly moving experience, well worth the trip. Yes, the boat ride over was very choppy. Take some motion sickness meds if you can. It is an all day excursion, but can go by very quickly if you have a good guide.

Enjoy your cruise.

"Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking."

-Marcus Aurelius Antonius

1. June 2001 Celebrity ZENITH (Bermuda)

2. July 2002 Celebrity MILLENNIUM (Southern Caribbean)

3. January 2003 Carnival CONQUEST (Western Caribbean)

4. August 2003 Celebrity GALAXY (Western Caribbean)

5. January 2005 Carnival DESTINY (Southern Caribbean)

6. May 2005 Celebrity INFINITY (Hawaii)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;1;2;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

'til my DESTINY

Agree that Tulum is not to be missed. If you can get an outside seat on the ferry, I'd recommend that. I never get motion sickness but found the heat and diesel fumes inside to be very disturbing.

Skyward 1979

Horizon 1991

Mercury 1998

Sensation 1999

Summit 2001

Millenium 2002

Summit 2003

Voyager of the Seas 2003

Hi. We did the Tulum trip 2 years ago and the ferry over was terrible. some pax. turned green. we ordered room service the night before, kept sandwhiches cold and brought them with us. you are not supposed to bring meat or fruit or veggies into mexico. the sandwhiches were delicious. much better then the "boxed lunch". it was a great trip. deb

We did the Tulum tour a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely recommend it! The ferry ride on the other hand was a bit exciting. We "lost" one family off the tour because the husband was too sick to continue on the bus. Not sure how they got back but it must have taken some time to talk him back onto the ferry. There are some Tulum pictures on our homepage:

Tulum and Other Cruise Pictures

Until the Galaxy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;3;21;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Thank you all for the great information. The "Tips" will be very helpful. RandyK - nice photo's on your web site. We're getting excited as the trip gets closer.

Song of Norway 4/88

Horizon 4/01

Millennium 4/03

Century 7/04

Nannyny - No, we only did Tulum. Tour was scheduled to be 10 AM to 6 PM. As it turned out we got back to the ferry about 5 PM so stopped into the Senior Frog's for a drink...wow...what a drink! But that's another story. Caught the 6 PM ferry...I think the last as daylight savings time hadn't started or maybe that's just the last ferry regardless because it was almost totally dark when we got back. Anyhow, made it back by 6:45 PM but the ship didn't leave until 11 PM so we went to the Senior Frog's by the pier for dinner and another one or two or so of those drinks.

Chargerdad is absolutely right. Great beach but the site in general is very exposed and gets quite warm. Living in San Antonio we didn't notice it too much but some of the "Northerners" got somewhat uncomfortable. We brought water which was good but bottled water is available at the entrance to the site. That's assuming bottled water in Mexico is safe though I have no reason to think it isn't.

Until the Galaxy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;3;21;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

When we did the Western Caribbean on the Century, Tulum was our one must do excursion, and we did not regret it.

With the long day and ferry boat involved, this one seems to be worth doing as an official Celebrity tour.

Although there was conversation on the ferry boat about how rough it could be, there were not problems the day we went.

Art

Did the Tulum ruins on RCI in January and it was great, but everyone has that "ferry ride" down pat! It actually is like one of those fast boats like between Vancouver and Victoria but you are sitting down low and the fumes--wow. I am one of those "that never gets seasick" but totally lost it on this trip. Going back, we were in an open air boat that was much much better.

Anaother warning:

If you suffer from hay fever -- there are unusual plants around Tulum that may set off an attack!

When I was there several years ago, my eyes itched and burned and watered so badly you couldn't tell me from the ruins.

I don't know what it was, but it was a brutal attack.

love

joan

It is very hot there. Wear something light and comfortable with your bathing suit. Bring extra water not only to drink but to squirt on yourself while you are touring to cool down. Couldn't wait to get into the ocean there! Try to read up a bit about the ruins ahead of time so that you will get more out of them while there. We toured from a resort. We couldn't hear our guide and really couldn't concentrate much anyway due to the heat. They are fascinating though and the scenery is spectacular. Have fun.

BoysSkiMom

Homelines Atlantic 8/88

Norwegian Seaward 3/89

Celebrity Galaxy 4/00

RCI Enchantment 11/00

Celebrity Summit 4/04

Archived