Rum Point??

jacksmom09

Hi! We are planning on renting a car and driving to Rum Point! Just wondering if there is anything else on the way there, that is a must see?? Also, we would love some more info on Rum Point beach and if anyone could reccomend a restaurant for lunch? Thanks for any info!:D

On the way to Rum Point from Georgetown you will pass three other attractions.

Pedro St. James "castle" - http://www.pedrostjames.ky/ - great if you're into history

Pirate Caves - no website, but it's a couple of small caves you can tour as well as a small petting zoo - kinda cheesy but might be fun for younger kids - it's expensive for what you get, though

Botanical Gardens - http://www.botanic-park.ky/ - great if you're into plants and/or wildlife

As for a restaurant, your best bet is to eat at the Wreck Bar and Grill - http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/restaurants_detail.asp?restaurantID=181 - good food right on the beach at Rum Point - no shirt or shoes required :D

Jacksmom, we are thinking of also renting a car and driving to Rum Point when we are there in July. This is something that we've never done (car rental), and have a few questions. Who are you using for the car rental? Do you know the way to Rum Point? We've been there once and I think I might remember, but I'm not 100% sure. Any details that you may share would be appreciated!

A group of us hired a driver a few years ago. It was around $100.00 after negotiations. The driver took us to the hightlights around, and then brought us to Rum Point where we spent a good part of the day. The driver waited for us at Rum Point and took us back. If you have a group it could be a lot easier than renting your own car. No worries around getting to and from, and having the pleasure of being able to get around with an experienced driver.

Hi! We have rented a convertable PT Cruiser from Avis! It will be $101.49 including all insurance, etc! We do have to turn it in with a full tank! :D We have been looking at maps, etc to get an idea of where we are wanting to go (Rum Point)!;) We have also been to Grand Cayman before, so we are a little familiar!:D I will be glad to write a review after we get home! But, if you have any other Q's? let me know!

Jacksmom, thanks so much for the information, I'd really love to hear about your experience when you return! I don't think it would be difficult to find, but my DH is sometimes "directionally challenged"! :) Also, will not ask for directions! When I put those together, I'm wondering if we'd have enough time! :) I look forward to your review when you return.

The best trick for getting to Rum Point without mishap is to watch for the Lighthouse Restaurant at Breakers. Once you see that restaurant, the left turn is just around the bend. Other than that easily-missed turn, the rest of the route is pretty straightforward.

The best trick for getting to Rum Point without mishap is to watch for the Lighthouse Restaurant at Breakers. Once you see that restaurant, the left turn is just around the bend. Other than that easily-missed turn, the rest of the route is pretty straightforward.

Thank you very much! I appreciate your help :)

Rum Point is not a difficult place to find. Many car rental agencies obviously operate near the airport, and assuming the rental office is there...

1) Turn right out of rental agency parking lot and proceed to the roundabout. (AFAIK they are all on the same side of the road, so it should be a right turn... but head back in the direction the transfer van brought you from!) The airport Post Office is on your left at this intersection.

2) Turn left, and follow the road around past the Foster's Food Fair grocery (which will be on your right!)

3) Just past Foster's, turn left at the yield sign, and take this road around the end of the airport runway.

4) Turn left and settle in for a drive. During your drive, the road changes names several times, Crewe Road, Shamrock Drive, Bodden Town Rd, etc... It eventually passes through four round abouts (aka traffic circles) where each time you want to go straight through the round about toward Bodden Town. When you pass the second round about by Hurley's Supermarket at Grand Harbour, get in the left lane. Continue through Bodden Town, staying on the main road.

5) Look for the Lighthouse restaurant, a prominent landmark in the Breakers area. One mile (exactly, so pay attention!) pas the Lighthouse restaurant turn left onto Frank Sound Rd. This is a prominent intersection and has a sign for Rum Point.

6) Cross the island on Frank Sound Rd. Near the north shore the road has a couple sharp bends, so SLOW DOWN. Just past the Esso gas station the road curves around to the left and follows the north shore. Stay on this road, and Rum Point is prominent on your right about 7 miles past the Esso gas station.

When in doubt, refer to the map from your rental agency. Rum Point is at the northeast tip of the North Sound. If you think you are lost, stop and ask ANYONE local. Everybody knows where Rum Point is.

FYI, speed limits are posted in Miles Per Hour. If everyone is riding your bumper and passing you, check your spedometer. A few right hand drive rental cars register speed in Kilometers per hour!

Drew, thank you ever so much for your wonderful directions!! I just have one additional concern and that would be if there is anything that resembles a "rush hour" at any time on the route to Rum Point? Once again, thank you for your assistance.

• 2 months later...

Just saw the earlier inquiry about rush hour...

There is a rush hour but it runs opposite the cruise ship schedule for the trip to Rum Point. In the morning traffic is flowing from the residential areas of the Eastern Districts towards George Town. You might pass lines of cars heading the other way as you drive out to Bodden Town and then on to Frank Sound before turning to cross the island and head to Rum Point.

In the later afternoon traffic is heading out of George Town back to the residential areas. Only if you have a really late departure could this be an issue. Traffic in the George Town area starts really getting busy again after 4pm and making a late connection from the rental car drop off point to the tender could be fraught with traffic. Most ship depart before 4pm and you would be coming into town before traffic gets busy.

Archived