Specifics on Split, Corfu, Piraeus, Mykonos, and Katakolon

Katakolon - think about taking the train to Olympia and back. 1€ each way.

Can you tell me more about the train to Olympia please - where is the station and how frequently does the service run? Is it a conventional train - or a local service just from Katakolon to Olympia? Any details you can provide would be very much appreciated.

Katakolon - think about taking the train to Olympia and back. 1€ each way.

Can you tell me more about the train to Olympia please - where is the station and how frequently does the service run? Is it a conventional train - or a local service just from Katakolon to Olympia? Any details you can provide would be very much appreciated.

Here is the information I found on the train between Katakolon and Olympia. It is a regional train and costs up to 3 Euros roundtrip. The major problem is the infrequency of the trains. The current schedule from the train/bus site below is the following:

Katakolon - Purgos - Olympia

Train line. Ε 1382 departure 08.25 arrive 09.06

Train line 1386 departure 10.55 arrive 11.41

Train line 1388 departure 12.52 arrive 13.44

Train line 1390 departure 14.51 arrive 15.38

Olympia - Purgos - Katakolon

Train line Ε 1387 departure 11.46 arrive 12.28

Train line 1389 departure 13.48 arrive 14.32

Train line 1391 departure 15.43 arrive 16.32

The ship I'm on is supposed to dock at 8:00, so it might be possible to get off quickly and get to the station in time to catch the 8:25 train to Olympia. It's supposed to be about a 10 to 15 minute walk. Since the ship leaves at 5:00 we would have to take the 1:48 return train, since I wouldn't be comfortable arriving at 4:30 and possibly missing the ship.

If I did catch the 10:55 train out, I would probably try to catch a one way taxi back to port from Olympia since Idon't know if 2 hours gives enough time to see the museum and ancient site.

Train/Bus Info:

http://www.olympia-greece.org/katakolon-train-bus.html

Actual location of train station:

http://wikimapia.org/5486113/Katakolo-railway-station.

Good overview Map of port, showing distance between ship dock and train station across from Marina.

http://marinas.com/view/marina/15479_Katakolon_Marina

Corfu is very easy as a DIY with a rental car--the island roads are well marked and driving is easy. We used Corfu Sunrise for the car and were very pleased--a rep was waiting at the port exit to pick us up, gave us a good road map and suggested an itinerary that worked out well (espeically Paleokastritsa beach). Corfu Town is a breeze on foot--no guide needed.

Les

Les can you give a few more particulars on that beach. We are considering an excursion there for part of our day. We are interested in how the beach was, (sand or pebbles) how far from port it was, if there was a charge for beach use, and what facilities were available (change rooms lunch options and a bar?)

We will be there in June 09.

Thanks

Here is the information I found on the train between Katakolon and Olympia. It is a regional train and costs up to 3 Euros roundtrip. The major problem is the infrequency of the trains. The current schedule from the train/bus site below is the following:

Katakolon - Purgos - Olympia

Train line. Ε 1382 departure 08.25 arrive 09.06

Train line 1386 departure 10.55 arrive 11.41

Train line 1388 departure 12.52 arrive 13.44

Train line 1390 departure 14.51 arrive 15.38

Olympia - Purgos - Katakolon

Train line Ε 1387 departure 11.46 arrive 12.28

Train line 1389 departure 13.48 arrive 14.32

Train line 1391 departure 15.43 arrive 16.32

The ship I'm on is supposed to dock at 8:00, so it might be possible to get off quickly and get to the station in time to catch the 8:25 train to Olympia. It's supposed to be about a 10 to 15 minute walk. Since the ship leaves at 5:00 we would have to take the 1:48 return train, since I wouldn't be comfortable arriving at 4:30 and possibly missing the ship.

If I did catch the 10:55 train out, I would probably try to catch a one way taxi back to port from Olympia since Idon't know if 2 hours gives enough time to see the museum and ancient site.

Train/Bus Info:

http://www.olympia-greece.org/katakolon-train-bus.html

Actual location of train station:

http://wikimapia.org/5486113/Katakolo-railway-station.

Good overview Map of port, showing distance between ship dock and train station across from Marina.

http://marinas.com/view/marina/15479_Katakolon_Marina

Thanks so much - that's brilliant. I see what you mean about timings though. As you say, it's really a case of how much time is enough to see the site and make sure you get back to port in good time. I'll print off the details and take it with me. I appreciate all the information you've taken the time to post - it's very informative. Thanks again. :)

We are planning to take the train to Olympia. I'm not sure if our ship will be docked or if it will be a tender port. We will be on the Ruby Princess, so it's a large ship. Any info that anybody would have about that would be helpful. And is the walk to the train station from either port short?

Also --if we take the train to Olympia, how far is the walk from the train station to the ruins?

I'm just trying to see how much time this self planned excursion will take.

And -- is there an admission fee to the ruins?

Thanks in advance for your info.:):confused:

Cruisintebo - We are on your cruise. We are scheduled to be docked in Katakolon. Only port we are scheduled to tender is Santorini. Also, if you would like me to update the roll call with your first names and where you are from, please post on the roll call thread. Thanks.

How close does the ship dock to everything in Split, Croatia? Is everything in walking distance?

Thanks -

Our ship Pacific Princess docked right in town - maybe 10 min slow walk to the center. From there you can walk the Promenade, sit in a cafe, tour Diocletian's palace. On our 1st stop there we took a ship's tour to Trogir in the morning and after lunch on the ship, we walked through Split on our own stopping for coffee and gelato.

My husband and I are planning to rent a car in Corfu. We want to do Kanoni – Gastouri [Achillion] - Paeleokastritsa [grotto boat trip] – Corfu town at our own pace. So far, the only thing stopping me is finding out the conditions of the roads. Would appreciate any input.

Carole

Carole,

Do you know the proximate distance/time from the port to Achillion palace and Paeleokastrisa beach? I've also heard about the monastery close to the beach.

I'm planning the relaxing day and want to have enouph time to wonder Corfu town as well.

Thank you.

• 3 years later...

Trailriders in Corfu gets great reviews in Tripadvisor. However when I click to email them, it says I don't have the right whatchamacallit set up...I don't use outlook express. Does anyone know the actual email address for this company so I can find out what the rates are etc? Anyone done this from the cruise port? Thank you for any help you can give me.

• 3 weeks later...
Carole,

Do you know the proximate distance/time from the port to Achillion palace and Paeleokastrisa beach? I've also heard about the monastery close to the beach.

I'm planning the relaxing day and want to have enouph time to wonder Corfu town as well.

Thank you.

We're renting a car from Sunrise, 42 Eu for an automatic that seats 4-5. Try these web-sites to help plan your day.

http://www.corfu-map.net/bigmap/corfu_map.jpg

Good map of Corfu, whole island is only 58 km long, 27 wide.

This site has suggested iteneraries.... http://www.allcorfu.com/out.html

The roads do have hairpins and are famous for potholes, but if you take your time it is supposed to be easy driving. Signs are in English, the locals are helpful with directions, they drive on the right and it is hard to get hopelessly lost as it is an island : )

We're renting a car from Sunrise, 42 Eu for an automatic that seats 4-5. Try these web-sites to help plan your day.

http://www.corfu-map.net/bigmap/corfu_map.jpg

Good map of Corfu, whole island is only 58 km long, 27 wide.

This site has suggested iteneraries.... http://www.allcorfu.com/out.html

The roads do have hairpins and are famous for potholes, but if you take your time it is supposed to be easy driving. Signs are in English, the locals are helpful with directions, they drive on the right and it is hard to get hopelessly lost as it is an island : )

TENNISBETS: This was so helpful. Do you know if you need an international driver's license to rent a car on Corfu? Thanks. Linda

• 1 month later...

Be aware that there is a scam with taxis in the port pick up area. They expect to give you a 50 euro tour and if you want a ride to the Parthenon will take you on a detour which will cost you the said 45 to 50 euros. Coming back at 10/12 euros on the meter we realised the rip off, so in Piraeus go outside the port, call a cab in the street and check the price to the Parthenon which should be around 12 euros (2011 charges).

Archived