Pre-cruise hotel in Miami - THANK YOU!!!

ken85121

I have been looking for a hotel in Miami to stay at the night before we take our first ever (I can't wait) cruise. However, the prices that I have found seem really high to me but I have kept trying. Several people on this board have been talking about the InterContinental Hotel. I keep checking and the minimum rate that I can find has always been at least $300+ with taxes.

With a little more research here, I found that many of those who have found good deals at this hotel seem to have booked through either Price*ine or through easyclick*ravel so I gave easyclick a try. (I don't know if I am supposed to write the website names out but you can figure out what I mean.)

I am happy to report that I just booked a room for $110.76 that includes taxes for 12/4/09. Although I am somewhat skeptical that this is a "too good to be true rate" I'm giving it a chance. It is cheaper than most 3-star hotels I found anywhere in Miami and supposedly the InterContinental is 4-star. What ever it is really doesn't matter because I'm very pleased with the price. It gives me a whole lot more to spend on board the Pearl.

Thanks to everyone who suggested it!

Now...to do more research to find stretch limo service from Ft Lauderdale Airport to the InterContinental...:)

I started checking on Hotel rooms about 90 days from our cruise date and as you found most of the places I wanted to stay had very high rates, even compared with Hotels of similar ratings. I definately wanted a Hotel with a free shuttle service to the airport and about 60 days prior to sailing one of those with the free shuttle really dropped its price and I finally booked it. I don't like leaving things to chance.

Big mistake. All of the hotels continued to drop in price, up until about 2 weeks before we were about to leave. As it turned out, I booked my 5th choice. If I had waited another month, I could have had one of my top two choices for the same amount if not less.

I believe that they really don't want to tie up all of their rooms on single night stays. However as you get closer to the date, they are forced to take what they can get. The Hotel industry has really been hit hard by the recession, however they can still demand a price from those of us that need a room on a specific day.

I believe that they really don't want to tie up all of their rooms on single night stays. However as you get closer to the date, they are forced to take what they can get. The Hotel industry has really been hit hard by the recession, however they can still demand a price from those of us that need a room on a specific day.

I'm 8 months out and got a great rate already. I can't imagine it would go down even more but time will tell. I was thinking the same thing that with the economy the rates would be lower too. Other than this hotel, that was not the case. I'll keep checking though. :)

I have been looking for a hotel in Miami to stay at the night before we take our first ever (I can't wait) cruise. However, the prices that I have found seem really high to me but I have kept trying. Several people on this board have been talking about the InterContinental Hotel. I keep checking and the minimum rate that I can find has always been at least $300+ with taxes.

With a little more research here, I found that many of those who have found good deals at this hotel seem to have booked through either Price*ine or through easyclick*ravel so I gave easyclick a try. (I don't know if I am supposed to write the website names out but you can figure out what I mean.)

I am happy to report that I just booked a room for $110.76 that includes taxes for 12/4/09. Although I am somewhat skeptical that this is a "too good to be true rate" I'm giving it a chance. It is cheaper than most 3-star hotels I found anywhere in Miami and supposedly the InterContinental is 4-star. What ever it is really doesn't matter because I'm very pleased with the price. It gives me a whole lot more to spend on board the Pearl.

Thanks to everyone who suggested it!

Now...to do more research to find stretch limo service from Ft Lauderdale Airport to the InterContinental...:)

Awesome!

For your trip from FLL to the hotel, I would highly recommend SAS transportation. Don't have the number but there are numerous posts on getting from FLL to Miami and many recommend this firm. Our driver closely monitored our flight and met us exactly on time. Quite cheap too!

In Miami, may I recommend Los Ranchos restaurant for your dinner - walking distance I think from the Intercontinental - in the waterfront mall area. Great local/hispanic feel.

I'm 8 months out and got a great rate already. I can't imagine it would go down even more but time will tell. I was thinking the same thing that with the economy the rates would be lower too. Other than this hotel, that was not the case. I'll keep checking though. :)

You did get a great rate. I would just call the hotel to confirm it (if you haven't already). I never heard of easyclick and I'll have to check it out. Does it work the same as Priceline?

Just a quick FYI; there are 2 Intercons in Miami; one is downtown (100 Chopin Plaza) and very close to the port. The other is a bit farther away, near the airport (NW 87th Ave.)

I don't know much about the airport location but the downtown Intercon is fabulous. You won't go wrong either way; Intercontinentals are all very nice properties. Congrats on a great find!

On February 7 my family stayed at the Hyatt Regency in downtown Miami a day before our cruise.

I was amazed at the prices of hotels in most parts of Miami. Over a year ago we stayed at a La Quinta near the airport, which was reasonably priced, plus they offered free shuttles from the airport and to to Port of Miami. The hotel was decent, but on the downside there was nothing near this hotel as far as attractions, restaurants, or things to do. Taxis are also expensive in Miami.

We were hoping to find something a little closer to the action this time around, but hotels downtown or something decent in South Beach were very expensive.

Thanks to Cruise Critic, I looked into Priceline and Hotwire for hotels about a week before our cruise. The prices offered seemed too good to be true (a $300.00 room for $108.00), but I took a chance and booked a hotel through Hotwire. I was unfamiliar with the process and was hesitant to give my credit card number before I knew exactly what I was getting. Then I figured it is only $100.00 if I get ripped off. No big deal.

It turned out that a room was booked for us at the Hyatt Regency. I called the Hyatt the next day, and they had our reservation, for a king sized bed. I asked them to change to two double beds (as our son was travelling with us) and I also asked for a smoking room, in which they did for us.

When we arrived in Miami our room was ready, but they didn't have a smoking room available for us. No big deal for me, really as I was the only one who smoked. However, the front desk offered to compensate by giving us a $75.00 voucher to eat at the Riverfront Restaurant (the hotel's restaurant) for dinner.

That sounded decent to me. The food was good there, and we had two of the chefs visit us at our table and made sure we were enjoying our dinner.

All in all, I was skepical about the Hotwire process (I believe Priceline is similar, but I can't really comment because I have not tried it), but it turned out that we scored a home run in this case.

I appreciate the advice that was provided by Cruise Critic members to enable use to start our cruise vacation off with a decent hotel in a decent location for a decent price.

There is a Holiday Inn very close to the cruise terminal, we booked a room through hotels.com and thery recomended the river park hotel it was $98.00 dollars but what a dive, holes in the walls and so dirty, just read the reviews and look at the pictures, just dont stay at that hotel.

Monika

What we love to do is to fly in a day or two early and stay in Ft. Lauderdale. We love the hotels there, the restaurants and the water taxi. For us, it is like having two fun vacations in on. A land trip and a cruise. I am sure Miami is great too, we are just partial to Ft. Lauderdale for some reason.. 8-)

You did get a great rate. I would just call the hotel to confirm it (if you haven't already). I never heard of easyclick and I'll have to check it out. Does it work the same as Priceline?

It is not a bidding site like Priceline. You just book directly at the rate quoted. It is like Expedia or Travelocity.

I just went to Easyclick website and it said it was closed, try another travel site. Is anyone else getting this message?

The one i used was easyclicktravel. just checked it and it worked fine for me. :)

Just a quick FYI; there are 2 Intercons in Miami; one is downtown (100 Chopin Plaza) and very close to the port. The other is a bit farther away, near the airport (NW 87th Ave.)

I don't know much about the airport location but the downtown Intercon is fabulous. You won't go wrong either way; Intercontinentals are all very nice properties. Congrats on a great find!

You are correct about there begin 2. I'm booked at the 100 Chopin Plaza location. :)

Awesome!

For your trip from FLL to the hotel, I would highly recommend SAS transportation. Don't have the number but there are numerous posts on getting from FLL to Miami and many recommend this firm. Our driver closely monitored our flight and met us exactly on time. Quite cheap too!

In Miami, may I recommend Los Ranchos restaurant for your dinner - walking distance I think from the Intercontinental - in the waterfront mall area. Great local/hispanic feel.

Go to Restaurant.com and get a discounted gift cert for Los Ranchos. Will eat there again this week-end. Right at Bayside.

We just won the Hyatt Regency in downtown Miami for $55.00 (not including taxes) for one night pre cruise on April 18 bidding on Priceline. We've stayed here twice before. It's nothing fancy but we just want a place to sleep. It suits our needs.

One more note to add: For those considering bidding on Priceline you should familiarize yourself with biddingfortravel.com as well as betterbidding.com. Both these web sites have invaluable information about bidding on both Priceline and Hotwire. No one should bid until they visit either or both of these sites.

• Administrators
One more note to add: For those considering bidding on Priceline you should familiarize yourself with biddingfortravel.com as well as betterbidding.com. Both these web sites have invaluable information about bidding on both Priceline and Hotwire. No one should bid until they visit either or both of these sites.

OR (personal view here) get their knickers in a twist if one somehow runs afoul of the expectations of the owners of those sites and incurs a "wrist slap" post. The useful info there far outweights the negatives -- just READ their FAQs and "how to post" stickies, and you will get a ton of useful information. Try to comply with them while gathering information. I've saved over $5,400 in the last six years using those sites. That is NOT chump change. It is more than the cruise we are taking in two weeks will cost when all's said and done.

There is a Holiday Inn very close to the cruise terminal, we booked a room through hotels.com and thery recomended the river park hotel it was $98.00 dollars but what a dive, holes in the walls and so dirty, just read the reviews and look at the pictures, just dont stay at that hotel.

Monika

The Holiday Inn Port of Miami on Biscayne Blvd is the one MANY cruisers choose.

Sounds like you got what you paid for in the Miami area. Always research if you aren't familiar with the hotel. tripadvisor.com will guide you. The River Park hotel got many poor reviews.

Big mistake. All of the hotels continued to drop in price, up until about 2 weeks before we were about to leave. As it turned out, I booked my 5th choice. If I had waited another month, I could have had one of my top two choices for the same amount if not less.

Hotels generally don't require minimum night stays unless it is a big citywide convention or over holidays. The majority of hotel rooms are booked by the business traveler not tourists and hotels drop room blocks 30-45 days out. That is why you see the best rates closest to your dates. Tourism rooms are just filler for hotels.

Archived