What to do between disembarking and flight

caesar68

We will be getting off of the ship in Miami and flying home from Fort Lauderdale. We will have about 5-6 hours to "waste". Any suggestions about what we could do? Our big concern is that we are quite limited with the luggage. Last year the airlines wouldn't take our luggage until 2 hours before the flight.

I have read that some airports have companies that will come and take your luggage early but I am not sure about Ft. Lauderdale. Any advice will be helpful

Thanks

We have the same thing for our flight....docking in Miami, then flying out of FLL at 4:15. There are some excursions that you can do to in Miami for people with flights after 4pm. They are listed under the main excursions tab on the Carnival web page--look under caribbean section, Miami is listed. The art deco/south beach one is like 45 dollars and can only be purchased onboard. That is the only one that I saw for people flying out of FLL. They put your luggage under the bus, so you don't have to worry about it. I have also read something about a service called luggage express. They apparently take your luggage for about $20 and forward it to the airlines for you. Then you could just do something on your own. I understand that this is explained in the Capers somewhere. I am sure that you could also ask guest services about it as well.

Fort Lauderdale airport does have an area where you can leave your luggage before airline checkin. The best values I know of in the area are: 1st, take the Tri Rail frm Miami to Ft Lauderdale ($3 ea) check your luggage then taxi to a water taxi dock and enjoy the famouse water way at your leisure till time for your flight checkin.

Fort Lauderdale airport does have an area where you can leave your luggage before airline checkin. The best values I know of in the area are: 1st, take the Tri Rail frm Miami to Ft Lauderdale ($3 ea) check your luggage then taxi to a water taxi dock and enjoy the famouse water way at your leisure till time for your flight checkin.

First of all mfeenker...I love your picture. You look like you are having a blast somewhere.

Secondly, thanks for the information. Maybe I will try to call FLL airport to see what luggage services they have. Last year they did not offer anything to us :confused:

Luggage Express is offered on the Destiny out of Miami, so that would be a great option for you. We used it on our Valor cruise out of Miami last year, flying into and out of FLL.

It is $20 per person with a limit of 2 bags per person. You will get the info about it in your cabin mid-way through the cruise, or you can go to the Purser's desk before that and ask for the info and forms to fill out.

You get your airline boarding passes and luggage tags in your cabin the day before debarkation day. Then, put your luggage out in the hall by midnight, just like you normally do. You won't see the luggage again until you reach final destination. At the airport you can go straight to security. The airline will charge your credit card for any checked luggage fees.

I had also looked into the luggage storage place in the FLL airport, but they close at 5 pm and our flight was not until 8 pm, so we would have had to kill extra time at the airport with that option.

We had our driver take us from the ship to the Las Olas shopping center in Ft. Lauderdale. The shops don't open until 11 am, but it is a nice area with a walkway along the river. There are restaurants and a movie theater. We took a river boat cruise while waiting for things to open.

Good luck! :)

I will definitely look into the luggage express service...seems like it is exactly what I am looking for. Also seems like people have had positive experiences with it too.

I know I would get an answer here! ;) Thanks all.

We used luggage express and then took a taxi ($10 + tip) to the Bayside Market in Miami. It's an open air shopping mall and marina - some good shopping and eating options, and I could enjoy a beer an cigar while my DW shopped. Good luck!:)

We will be getting off of the ship in Miami and flying home from Fort Lauderdale. We will have about 5-6 hours to "waste". Any suggestions about what we could do? Our big concern is that we are quite limited with the luggage. Last year the airlines wouldn't take our luggage until 2 hours before the flight.

I have read that some airports have companies that will come and take your luggage early but I am not sure about Ft.Lauderdale. Any advice will be helpful

Thanks

Rent a car and drive up the coast - slowly. The rental car will hold your luggage and a slow drive up the coast is fun. That is what I did in August 2004 (except my flight didn't leave until the following morning).

Or, look into a shore excursion that drops you off at the airport. I did that in June 2007. These excursions are offered for both Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

Archived