Butler requests

av01bps

When is the butler expected to sleep or have time to himself?

What if every stateroom wants the same amount of service at dinnertime, at the same time?

I'm just curious what you expect to tip the butler for all this service, an extra $100?

I don't know about other lines, but on Celebrity, they have more butlers than they need. If your butler is sleeping or ashore, his phone is answered by one of the other butlers, who will fill your request. Whenever that happens, we usually tip that person a little extra, since he will not get any of our butler's tip at the end of the cruise.

Also, if one butler has too many things going on at once, other butlers will pick up some of the load or the stateroom attendant will help him. For example, if the butler is serving dinner in several suites at once, the stateroom attendant will probably deliver the food to the door, so the butler can continue serving, without having to make constant trips back to the kitchen.

I know that on Celebrity, your level of service will remain the same, 24 hours a day, regardless of any particular butler's work load.

That's the primary reason we booked a suite; we are used to open dining and no formal nights, and we have no intention of schlepping formal wear to Alaska, of all places. Our cruise has two ports in which the ship does not leave until evening and we definitely don't want to be tied to a dining schedule on those evenings. It's kind of sad, with open dining we look forward to meeting different folks at each meal; it adds a fascinating dimension to our cruising, but now we're going to be stuck in our cabin.

I have no problem with the normal course-by-course serving, and I believe it's probably easier for the butler to operate in his or her usual manner. We will be asking for a lot of service -- hot breakfasts many mornings, dinner most evenings, shrimp instead of canapes, cappuccinos for DW, etc., and will add to his gratuity at the end of the cruise.

If you are not going to be using the main dining room, it is a courtesy to let the maitre 'd know. It's also a good idea to let the butler know ahead of time, perhaps as much as the day before, when you will be dining in the room. Of course, if you decide to use a specialty dining area (if your ship has them) or the alternative casual dining, you have to make reservations. And, if you use the main dining room, you have to be there at the appointed time. I MUCH prefer open dining; I don't have to let anyone know in advance where and when I want to be.

Thanks!

What if every stateroom wants the same amount of service at dinnertime, at the same time?

I'm just curious what you expect to tip the butler for all this service, an extra $100?

Oh my. I feel like the wind has been blown out of my "looking forward to butler' sails.:confused:

DOnt let the wind be out of your sails!!

Butlers can perfrom a myriad of tasks- as much or as little as you may prefer-

Tip them fairly and treat them with respect. Its that easy! (And I am sure you had every intention of doing both)

Use the boards as a guide, and then get to know your butler when you arrive.. and you will work it out from there...

I love them, and book suites for the treat that they are.. Everyone wins.

Have a teriffic vacation!

DOnt let the wind be out of your sails!!

Butlers can perfrom a myriad of tasks- as much or as little as you may prefer-

Tip them fairly and treat them with respect. Its that easy! (And I am sure you had every intention of doing both)

Use the boards as a guide, and then get to know your butler when you arrive.. and you will work it out from there...

I love them, and book suites for the treat that they are.. Everyone wins.

Have a teriffic vacation!

Thank you, encouraging words!:)

Muushka

Truly- just enjoy it. The butler MADE our honeymoon (we were married on Summit) so special.

We are in an RS in a few weeks.

We will utlize the butler extensively.. alternatively, being a butler is an honor and a major promotion to my understanding.

Our butler has several small children back in Venzuela.. I cant comprehend how difficult it must be to leave a family behid to earn a living.. so we treated him as well as he treated us.. hence my feeling that everyone can benefit.

I bet you are the butler in your house.. so enjoy being pampered while it lasts!!

I like the idea of a small gift. Since we are leaving tomorrow, I can't pick up anything from home. Any suggestions of something to buy while on a Caribbean cruise?

your airport will have hometown trinkets- a snow globe or keychain or baseball cap?

This may sound harsh, but that's not my problem. These are the standard services a butler will provide, and if Celebrity has not foreseen this, it should not affect me.

I'm sure they have something worked out, or there may be a lot of unhappy people.

Celebrity already has set the standard -- the extra tip added to the suite that will be billed on one's account is $3 per day per person, or $6 per day per cabin double occupancy. We will be on a 7 day cruise; that is $42. Based on a report on another thread, each butler has 10 rooms, which would be $420 per week, plus whatever salary Celebrity pays, plus free room and board.

Each of the services I mentioned are offered as standard services for a butler, plus others I did not mention and will likely not use. If the butler does a decent, workaday job of performing the services, he has not earned a penny additional. If the services are extraordinary, doubling the amount he is already receiving -- or another $42 -- is certainly more than adequate.

I didn't book a suite because I was concerned about the butler's welfare. I don't go on cruises to make friends with the staff.

Now, believe it or not, I am NOT arrogant -- just practical.

I try to take small packages of cookies or candy that are made locally as gifts for the steward and butler. Since they have so little room in their cabins, this is something they can enjoy but not have to keep.

You can probably find something in the souvenir shop at the airport.

The butlers are all anxious to help you enjoy your vacation. So, I suggest, you relax and let them pamper you and have a trip you will not forget.

Please would someone be able to help with what l always find is a really difficult question to ask. Do we tip the butler each time they deliver us food, ie coffee, afternoon tea etc.

Many thanks

No, you would definitely not tip the butler each time they deliver anything.

There is a fixed daily rate per person for the butler included in your gratuities but many people will also want to tip additionally. It is a matter of some dispute on these boards whether you do that up-front and/or at the end of the cruise [or not at all]. That, I am afraid, has to be your own decision. To some extent, it will depend on how much you want him to do for you.

Personally, we would tip the butler additionally up-front approximately 50% of the tip included in the gratuities. At this stage we would explain our likes and dislikes and our requirements for the cruise. We have always found that our butler would go out of his way to exceed our expectations, usually in an imaginative way and well deserve a further 50% at the end of the cruise.

Sue

Muushka

Truly- just enjoy it. The butler MADE our honeymoon (we were married on Summit) so special.

We are in an RS in a few weeks.

We will utlize the butler extensively.. alternatively, being a butler is an honor and a major promotion to my understanding.

Our butler has several small children back in Venzuela.. I cant comprehend how difficult it must be to leave a family behid to earn a living.. so we treated him as well as he treated us.. hence my feeling that everyone can benefit.

I bet you are the butler in your house.. so enjoy being pampered while it lasts!!

Yup, I am the butler in our house!

We are in a RS in 4 weeks, can't wait. Your words helped me understand the butler's role. And we actually had a glimpse of the desire to serve of a truly good employee on our last cruise on Millie. We were in between suites in a CC. So our cabin steward was excellent. She learned our likes very quickly and went out of her way to see that we received what we wanted, even though it was not her job. She always addressed us by name and would open the door for us when we arrived. And she spent a good bit of time with us just talking, so I have a feeling she was comfortable with us, probably because we were so appreciative of her efforts. And yes, we did give her an extra tip!;)

Archived