What Excursion Should We Choose?

obnurse

Hello to all of you veteran cruisers out there! Planning a 1-28-05 cruise and Barbados will be a new port for us. We have so many choices we don't know where to start. Can anyone advise us? We're considering the Jolly Roger Sailing Party. Is this a trip where we'll be trapped with a lot of people who are way too drunK? That would not be our preference. Is there any difference between the Jolly Roger on Barbados and the Jolly Roger on Antigua? Any independant tours anyone can recommend? Anything not to be missed? All advise cheerfully accepted! Thanks everyone!

We went to Barbados last December on Sun Princess. We took the Sea Turtle and Shipwreck Snorkel offered by the ship. It was a great excursion! It wasn't a large group. We were in two small power catamaran kind of boats...they each seated about 12 people, but neither was quite full. There was a guide and a driver on each one. We went first to the sea turtle site....they were big and beautiful and we saw several. Then to the shipwrecks for more snorkeling. After that we went to the beach right by the shipwrecks and had rum punch and a little bit of beach/swim time and then back to the area we boarded the tour boats. We had a good time (although more time at the beach would have been nice too!) The turtles are awesome! Hope this helps! Enjoy your day in Barbados....it was a beautiful spot!

We just came back from Barbados on the Destiny and really loved our "Best of Barbados" excursion booked through recommendations on this board. You get the best of land and sea of the island.... Harrison's Cave, Wildlife Preserve to see/play with the monkeys, driving through Bathsheba, stopping for kodak moments, lunch with a local flavor, glass bottom boat ride, snorkling, and swimming with turtles... It's an all day event and was wonderful..... www.glorytours.org It's very reasonable in price as well. Please give Sarah a shout...

Yup, Jolly Roger is just another booze cruise. My wife and I spend the winters in Barbados on the east coast and I can tell you anything that you want to know, but you have to be more specific. Adventure tours, quiet beaches, busy beaches, shopping etc. If you really want to see the real Barbados and get off the tourist tracks send me an e-mail and I'll pick you up at the boat in my mini moke.

Ian

Thanks for the offer--and here's a challenge for you ! My husband and I like the things that make each Island different--not beachy people at all. I was sort of thinking a cricket match might be fun --or some of the old mansions ---or a high tea somewhere---or........?

Ian,

What would be a good beach to go to snorkel? Somewhere with calm waters where kids could snorkel as well (they are good swimmers, though...)

Also, any must-see spots to get a feel for Barbados? I've been wanting to visit there for a long time....wish we would be there longer than a day!

obnurse .... Responding because we have been on The Jolly Roger in both Barbados and Antigua several times. JR in Barbados always seems more ACTIVE than Antigua!

So hard to recommend to others because you and I might not enjoy the same things. :o We like our cruise ships on the quite side (Hell-O :p often sail on Celebrity and HAL ... or with children, Princess) BUT love "Just For The FUN Of It" shore excursions!

We've always had a FUN time on Jolly Roger! Yes, there have been times when a FEW (note: few) have been "over served" ... BUT it's a BIG ship and it's never been a problem for us. Mostly, you'll find everyone ... just singing, dancing, and having FUN!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

If you are looking for a boat that takes small groups check smallcats@sunbeach.net , they have options on cruises and times to meet cruise ship passengers need.

We did the tour last month and toatlly enjoyed snorkeling with the sea turtles and at the Marine Park and the Captain was a perfect coast guide. We only did the sunset tour, but I understand they do a lunch cruise and another type of cruise. Check them out, I was really inpressed.

• 3 weeks later...
I would not recomend the Green Monkey 4x4 tour unless you want to have your internal organs rearranged by the offroading part of the tour.

FUNNY! :D Mancuso .... That's exactly what others told us about the Green Monkey! :p

Glad you enjoyed The Jolly Roger! We use to take our children. It's NOT always the wild booze cruise that some make it out to be. It's a BIG boat so there's lots of room for ALL!

Okay.......we're all signed up for that 4X4 Green Monkey...Somehow my wife thought this would be really unique and cool...

I considered the booze crooze...Kind of wanted to go back in time and relive one of those drunken college frat party days...but the wife wasn't too thrilled...

Rule #1: Keep the wife happy...

Question: Should I just drink a lot before getting into that 4X4?

Our last Jolly Roger trip was overcrowded with bodies pressed against each other and no seats for all. It was rowdy and some woman with newly bought breasts decided to show their purchases.

I would guess that each day the group is totally different so it is just a matter of luck with how wild they get.

jku2

Hi lcds1,

Cool! Where are you from? We're from Washington. We're so excited about the cruise. Can't wait to walk out onto that balcony and feel the WARM air! I think in Barbados we're going to go to a rum factory and a beach. If you'd like to talk more you can e-mail me directly at: obnurse81@yahoo.com. Bon Voyage!

4 of us wanted to rent a taxi for a 1/2 tour. We thought we would go to Harrison caves, maybe one other stop and then a short beach stop. Can anyone suggest what that other stop(s) should be? Can all this be done in 4-5 hrs? Can anyone suggest a taxi service to use? Thanks, Stan Leaving Feb5 on the Connie.

Our last Jolly Roger trip was overcrowded with bodies pressed against each other and no seats for all. It was rowdy and some woman with newly bought breasts decided to show their purchases.

I would guess that each day the group is totally different so it is just a matter of luck with how wild they get. jku2

This must be true because we read about "wild & crazy" behavior and have just NEVER seen it on our many times on Jolly Roger. Our times on JR were with fellow PAX on Princess ships ... so, guess that's why! :confused:

Archived