What Souvenir did you bring back from Samana?

PamIam

Always love to hear what fellow CC's bring back as souvenirs. I've heard people have purchased coffee and cigars...but is there any thing else that you found that was a good deal.... interesting... unique.....or just couldn't bear to pass up. Let us know :D

We went to the DR last year. We brought back MamaJuana, it is a drink made from rum, honey and spices. You can buy it already made and bottled, or you can buy the bottle with the spices and add your own rum and honey when you get back. If you or someone you know is a baker, their vanilla extract is fantastic.

I bought a beautiful painting, 2 masks (I collect them), a basket (collect those as well) and a little statue the 1 year we went. (found them in a store in Las Terrenas with local art on our tour of Samana)

Last year we just got some cigars for my FIL.

Larimar Jewellery

(google it) -beautiful. It is mined in the Dominican Republic

Wow that is really pretty...I like the variations in the stone. And it's only mined in DR...that makes it even more special. I always like to bring back something that is unique to a place. Might have to get me some of that ol' Larimar :D:D:D Thanks!

CRUISINGBOOBOO - be careful about vanilla bought on the islands. I was reading somewhere that it may contain coumarin (hope that's the right spelling), and it's not good. Google some info before you buy it. In Samana, they were selling it - it was quite inexpensive, but i didn't buy any. There were no ingredients listed on the label at all.

hmmm what is coumarine? never heard of it? Thanks for the tip

It is a "fake"vanilla flavoring and comes from a plant. It is a toxic substance that is banned in countries including the U.S. and is especially risky for people taking blood thinners because it increases the risk of bleeding.

Terry took us to a grocery store. Our friends got several packs of coffee at a great deal. I bought some cartons of fruit juice for consumption on the ship. I assume they sell Vanilla too or he will take you where they sell it.

Where did you buy the vanilla and coffee? can you " bargin" w/ them?

From the vendors on Cayo Levantado and yes they really lowered the price of the coffee. Two big bags for $10.00. We are fussy about coffee and we perk it every morning and this coffee was really good. It is medium roasted and very flavorful, in fact DH wishes that he had picked up more. I saw them selling the vanilla but I am glad now that I didn't buy any, my blood is thin enough!

Karysa

From the vendors on Cayo Levantado and yes they really lowered the price of the coffee. Two big bags for $10.00. We are fussy about coffee and we perk it every morning and this coffee was really good. It is medium roasted and very flavorful, in fact DH wishes that he had picked up more. I saw them selling the vanilla but I am glad now that I didn't buy any, my blood is thin enough!

Karysa

What is the brand name of the coffee?

Larimar Jewellery

(google it) -beautiful. It is mined in the Dominican Republic

Wow that is beautiful...was you able to buy it at the peir or did you go shopping else where...and was it better prices at certain place?

What did you get and what was going prices.

It is awesome to know that is the only place it comes from, I did google it told dh something has to come home with me!

Wow that is beautiful...was you able to buy it at the peir or did you go shopping else where...and was it better prices at certain place?

What did you get and what was going prices.

It is awesome to know that is the only place it comes from, I did google it told dh something has to come home with me!

I bought several pieces too and I found them a the port tents. Most are handmade by the vendors.

Archived