A question about extra tipping

Canusa02

When you have amazingly good service from a server, assistant server, or room steward, what do you consider a good tip above and beyond the pittance that is deducted from our account? Just curious.

When you have amazingly good service from a server, assistant server, or room steward, what do you consider a good tip above and beyond the pittance that is deducted from our account? Just curious.
It depends on the person and the length of the cruise. For a 10 - 12-day cruise, I might give the steward an extra $20; ditto for the waiter; $10 - $15 to the assistant server. Sometimes I tip just the assistant server. It all depends. FYI, that's for one person. :)

Absolutely, you should acknowledge good service above and beyond with any means available that they can retain. We do it all the time. Sometimes it's a dollar here, a couple there and at the end it might be a $20 dollar bill to someone that really made us feel special.

Also, remember if they give good service to fill out the comment cards that are at the Pursers Desk towards the end of the cruise. These are very beneficial to the crew member as they can make promotions more available to them. They can get extra leave, etc. These cards are passed to supervisors to review. Get the person name, duties and what they did for you.

Thanks for the replies. I had outstanding dining service on the Ruby recently (not to mention on other cruises), and I just wanted to make sure I was in the ballpark. I also filled out the outstanding service card, as did the other three couples with us.

Archived