NYC Pier Drop off

beachbunni77

I am leaving on the Gem next Sunday and plan on having someone drive me from CT to NYC! Can someone let me know where we should go to have my family "drop" me off. They don't need to park, I just need to jump out grab my suitcase and go. Are they force to get into a parking lot where they have to pay. Or is there a loop around were I can just get out and they can get back on their way.....Also is it better to go the Lincoln tunnel or the Washington bridge coming from Ct....thanks

We just got back yesterday from the Gem out of NYC, you will stay on I95 all the way and exit just prior to going on to the GW bridge so stay in the far right lane! Pier dropoff is a breeze their is usually room to stop and drop off unless you are arriving at the same time the ship is disembarking then it gets a bit chaotic. It took us about 2.5 hours from the Norwich area to drive in.

I am leaving on the Gem next Sunday and plan on having someone drive me from CT to NYC! Can someone let me know where we should go to have my family "drop" me off. They don't need to park, I just need to jump out grab my suitcase and go. Are they force to get into a parking lot where they have to pay. Or is there a loop around were I can just get out and they can get back on their way.....Also is it better to go the Lincoln tunnel or the Washington bridge coming from Ct....thanks

First, isn't the Gem currently on a Saturday departure schedule? It was two weeks ago when we sailed.

No need to park. All they have to do is enter at 55th St. and 12th Ave, drive up the ramp to the second level and drop you off. Porters for your luggage will be right there and you just walk inside to check in.

You don't use either the GW Bridge or the Lincoln Tunnel.. You just follow I95 into the Bonx, exit for the West Side Highway Southbound just before the GW Bridge and take the West Side Highway South until it ends, which is very conveniently located at the 55th St and 12th Ave entrance to the pier.

Note...you should check on something like Mapquest or a GPS system about the exact exit to get on the West Side Highway southbound. it's been a few years since I've done it and with road construction exits and entrances can change.

Thanks everyone.....I had a typo, I meant to say Saturday!!!! Wouldn't be good if I showed up at the pier on Sunday....:eek: I guess I would figure something out if no one was there! Thanks for the great info. I will be leaving from the New Haven area so I am guess it will take me about 3 hours or so!!! Anyone who has recently sailed want to share some tips.......I am all ears!!! Thanks Again, Amanda

Coming south from I-95 into the Bronx, keep to the 2 right lanes after exits for the Throgs Neck Bridge & Whitestone Bridge to Queens, then Rt. 278 (Triborough Bridge) - continue onto the section known as the Cross Bronx Expressway (I-95 south) toward the GW Bridge. As you approach the GWB, keep to the center or right lane for the lower level bridge (upper level or left/center lane has no exit for the West Side Highway & you will end up in New Jersey) - underneath those huge apartments overhead immediately pass Rt. 87, exit right lane about 1/2 mile for the GW Bridge, going south bound - you will be driving along the scenic Hudson River on the WSH for about 3 or 4 miles, the last exit is 55/57th Street as the highway will end, keep in your right lane (signs for the Cruise/Piers) - and upon leaving the elevated highway as you end, keep right & you will see the Pier terminal/parking directly in front of you.

There is security checkpoint, be prepared to show them your cruise tickets & tell them you are parking at the pier, as when traffic is heavy and backup, they tried to divert cars away to go around (which you do NOT want). For the Dawn, plan to arrive around 11 a.m. and no later than 11:30 a.m. and you should find it easy, checkin usually start by noon and embarkation is quick & simple as NCL has been at this pier for years.

Archived