Redoubt is Blowing it's top.

ARRTrain

warning_red.png 2009-03-22 22:56:25 - VAN/VONA

An eruption of Mt. Redoubt began at approximately 22:38 AKDT, March 22, 2009 (0638 UTC). AVO is raising the aviation color code to Red and the alert level to Warning. Initial height of the eruption cloud is estimated at less than 20,000 ft above sea level at present. Further reports will be issued as more information becomes available.

Complete report text

Akz145-231300-

susitna valley-

including...talkeetna...willow...cantwell

1135 pm akdt sun mar 22 2009

...ashfall advisory in effect until 4am akdt monday...

.tonight...volcanic ash from mt redoubt is falling and is expected to

reach the surface across the susitna valley. Preliminary indications

are that any ashfall will be very light at this time. Weather wise...

For the rest of tonight...

Every Home Depot in Anchorage and the Mat-Su will be open 24 hours a day until further notice. A representative with the company says it is well-stocked with emergency supplies. There were about 20 people in line at the Tudor Road store at 2:20 a.m.

This is from a CNN article:

"I understand a number of commercial flights have been canceled coming in and out of Anchorage International Airport," Power said. "We could see disruptions to air travel to south central Alaska, and Alaska as a whole, for a period of weeks to months."

Ash from the volcano is expected to blow north and pass west of Anchorage, said Dave Schneider, a geophysicist with the Alaska Volcano Observatory. He described the ash as a trace -- meaning if some landed on a windshield, the driver could still see through it.

Power said the ash will be about the thickness of a penny or a dime but warned residents to take precautions.

"It does pose significant problems for mechanical systems, people with respiratory illnesses, and aircraft,"

We are scheduled to fly into Anchorage on May 15.. in about 7 weeks...

Will certainly keep an eye on flight schedules!

B

Airlines cancel, reroute flights in wake of eruption

Updated: March 23, 2009 08:59 AM CDT

ANCHORAGE, Alaska -- So far airline passengers are experiencing the biggest troubles thanks to Mount Redoubt's eruption.

Although Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport remains open, Alaska Airlines had to re-route five flights inbound for Anchorage -- two coming from Seattle, two from Hawaii and one from Nome.

Later Alaska canceled 19 flights "destined to Anchorage and flights out of Anchorage to Bethel, Deadhorse, Kodiak, Nome,

Kotzebue, and Barrow."

Airport officials say U.S. Airways also had to reroute one plane coming into Anchorage back to Phoenix.

And a Continental fight scheduled to leave just after midnight Monday morning is delayed. Those travelers are still on the ground here in Anchorage after almost taking off.

Airline officials say they just aren't going to take any chances.

"We were actually on the plane and they made us get off," stranded traveler Jennifer Konicki said. "The pilot said, ‘I have to cancel this, I'm not comfortable flying.'"

Right now precaution is the name of the game.

"The last time Redoubt erupted we had a 747 come down through it here, and that was a near disaster," Alaska Airlines' Bill McKay said. "So we know that ash and jet engines just flat do not work together."

Airline officals say they will reassess the situation at 8 a.m. to see whether or not any additional changes to flight schedules need to be made.

Airlines make individual decisions whether or not to cancel all flights.

Last time Redoubt errupted, the erruption lasted for about 6 months. So while today's five erruptions won't affect May travel, the fact that it could continue to erupt for awhile could. That said, I bet by May they will have flight rerouting down to a science and the cruise lines will be prepared to deal with things.

thanks

the last time we planned a cruise/land vacation was back in November 2005...out of New Orleans. My daughter called me the day before Katrina hit and asked if I was worried about it affecting my trip. I told her our cruise was 3 months away...how could it affect our trip....well I didn't worry then, and look what happened.:eek:...this time I think I will worry and stress about it...so all will be ok;)

I worry about my trip in June. But I also worry about the residents in Alaska. I hope everyone stays save and there is no huge effect on them from the ash. I'll be thinking about you guys up there!

Right now it's drifting north/northeast. So it's not really coming to the well populated areas, well at least not now or not yet.

Actually in the vicinity of Redoubt there isn't too much except the Drift River Oil Terminal, so they've shut down production.

It's not like the lava will affect anyone it's just that dang ash, it's just makes everything gray, messy, slippery......

Susan in Anchorage :)

Last time Redoubt errupted, the erruption lasted for about 6 months. So while today's five erruptions won't affect May travel, the fact that it could continue to erupt for awhile could. That said, I bet by May they will have flight rerouting down to a science and the cruise lines will be prepared to deal with things.

When I was reading up on the volcano (prior to these series of eruptions), internet articles said that the 1989-1990 eruotion did last for 6 months. However, the worst of it seemed to be in the 1st week, with the ash fall. Subsequent eruptions during the 6-month time frame were more mudflows/lavars (whatever they are called).

The scientists have predicted that this eruption will be the same or less impactful as the 1989 eruption.

Of course, I defer to the Alaskan residents to correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I read on the history of the volcano.

When I was reading up on the volcano (prior to these series of eruptions), internet articles said that the 1989-1990 eruotion did last for 6 months. However, the worst of it seemed to be in the 1st week, with the ash fall. Subsequent eruptions during the 6-month time frame were more mudflows/lavars (whatever they are called).

The scientists have predicted that this eruption will be the same or less impactful as the 1989 eruption.

Of course, I defer to the Alaskan residents to correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I read on the history of the volcano.

That's what I've heard the volcanologist says on the news that this episode is acting a lot like the 1989-1990 one. Though last time I can't remember how long it rumbled before it blew.

Basically the 1989-90 one affected about a whole week of air travel up here because it was during winter where we're down to 5 1/2 hours of sunlight.

Good thing about this is that we're gaining minutes every day, bad thing is my next flight in April is out on a red eye :eek:

That's what I've heard the volcanologist says on the news that this episode is acting a lot like the 1989-1990 one. Though last time I can't remember how long it rumbled before it blew.

Basically the 1989-90 one affected about a whole week of air travel up here because it was during winter where we're down to 5 1/2 hours of sunlight.

Good thing about this is that we're gaining minutes every day, bad thing is my next flight in April is out on a red eye :eek:

Good to know :) I'll take your judgment over mine. I'm jut an east coaster strangely obsessed with this eruption. Everyone at work was laughing at me today and I searched for info.

Archived