Corkage Fee

mcwebber

No they will not charge a fee on wine received as a gift.

And the corkage fee is hit and miss anyways, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

:) Thanks for the info. I've seen the hit and miss in the past. It seems that if the Maitre d' spots you bringing in the bottle he makes sure the waiter charges the corkage. The waiter is usually apologetic about it.

The simple way around the corkage is to simply get wine glasses from your cabin steward and bring a glass of wine to dinner.

Because they know the labels that are carried on board. I have even taken the gift wine to the Supper Club and no corkage fee was charged. They are not going to charge you for something that was purchased from them.

Why in the world do they charge you to open a bottle? I've never understood that.

My thoughts as well, why we should be charged to open a drink for us!!

It's not for the labor involved. It's to make up for you not buying the wine from them.

Silly women.

We didn't have 'gift' wine, but the two 1.5 liter bottles that my friend and I brought to the dining room were both charged the $10 corkage fee.

$10 is nothing. The restaurant that I used to wait tables at on the Upper East Side of Manhattan charged $30 per bottle corkage fee and an additional fee if you wanted to have it in a decanter!

Why in the world do they charge you to open a bottle? I've never understood that.

RN & Tammy - Corkage is not charged for the physical act of opening a bottle. The fee is charged because they are allowing you to bring your own bottle into the dining room (not buying from them), thus losing revenue. Many high end restaurants also adhere to this policy. Makes sense, don't you think?

Vegas Man - I happen to be female.:)

How do they know the difference bewteen gift wine and wine brought on by myself?

They know the brands. In fact, if you can find out what brand of wine they are stocking the gift selection with, you could probably avoid corkage. I have been charged every time I have brought wine in except when it was a bottle of gift wine. Coincidentally, this has been on the same ship - the Miracle (in past, I never brought my own)

:)

The simple way around the corkage is to simply get wine glasses from your cabin steward and bring a glass of wine to dinner.

That glass would be gone halfway to the DR. I need a bottle per night, minimum. Wine package might be the way to go.

Vegas Man - I happen to be female.:)

I ain't buying it. I would have bet money you were a dude.;)

They know the brands. In fact, if you can find out what brand of wine they are stocking the gift selection with, you could probably avoid corkage.

This is exactly what I do - haven't been charged yet!

Just go to Bon Voyage and print up a list of the wines and take it with you when you buy your cruise wine.

Even thought it's your bottle, they need to get you clean wine glasses. They need to physically open the bottle for you. If they get clumsy and spill, you might demand compensation. They lose the revenue of selling wine to you. They have to pour the wine for you. They need to put/move dishes without hitting/spilling the bottle.

If you don't finish the wine, they can recork it for you. If you finish the wine and leave the bottle there, they need to clean up the table and take that bottle away.

There is a cost.

Just go to Bon Voyage and print up a list of the wines and take it with you when you buy your cruise wine.

By the way, for those staying in Miami overnight, just up Biscayne 11 miles from the cruise port there's a Total Wine store. Probably your best bet for selection. Either that, or some of the Walmart stores or Publix supermarkets will have your choice.

That is so sneaky - I like it!

Even thought it's your bottle, they need to get you clean wine glasses. They need to physically open the bottle for you. If they get clumsy and spill, you might demand compensation. They lose the revenue of selling wine to you. They have to pour the wine for you. They need to put/move dishes without hitting/spilling the bottle.

If you don't finish the wine, they can recork it for you. If you finish the wine and leave the bottle there, they need to clean up the table and take that bottle away.

There is a cost.

Which begs the question: Is there a re-corkage fee? :confused:

I'll be bringing my own wine on in part because Carnival hasn't got much to my liking! :p

That is so sneaky - I like it!

Which begs the question: Is there a re-corkage fee? :confused:

Nah. They only charge for the original bottle. The waiter marks your table number on the label and will keep it for you until the next evening.

They have Fetzer Cabernet on the list which I can buy in my grocery store for $5.00/bottle. I took my Fetzer on with me last time and was never charged.

Archived