Is formal completely out of place on Norwegian?

Truffle

We usually cruise on Celebrity, and have cruised on RC and have enjoyed the formal nights. I was checking the Norwegian site as I love the look of some of the new suites. I know they have Anytime Dining, but they mentioned there is a restaurant where one could appropriately wear formal. Not that we would do this more than once or twice, but has anyone seen ANYONE dressed formally on a Norwegian cruise recently? I guess we would change after dining if we were to dress up for dinner, but I wouldn't want to look like a "fish out of water" or a completely inexperienced cruiser who is totally overdressed on our way to and from dinner. :o

We have always cruised Celebrity and RCI but recently switched to NCL because of itinerary. I've packed away my long formals and did not take any on the last 2 NCL cruises.:(

I saw VERY few long dresses, I only took cocktail dresses. I really don't think I saw any tuxedos at all. There was one couple who dressed formally EVERY night but they seemed to be in their own little world.

NCL says you're free to do whatever.;) You can certainly dress formally but you may be in the minority and only you can decide if you will be uncomfortable or not.

A group of us met for dinner from a roll call and one lady said to me, "oh, you dressed up!" To me it was not dressed up but what I normally wear to dinner and what she had on was not something I would wear to dinner so you'll see everything.

Keep in mind this is just my observation two times on one of NCL's smallest ships.:)

Formal is truly optional on NCL and I think it attracts people who truly want to opt out ;)

We can only relate our own experiences. On my first NCL cruise, we opted out but took along clothing we felt was not going to stand out as too casual, I was in a red sheath dress (a cotton blend) DH wore dark slacks and a long sleeved, button down shirt. We didn't need to opt out, however we didn't bother with the dining room either, the line was enormous.

Fast forward a few years to our second NCL cruise and again we chose to opt out. I took along a pants outfit that I would consider to be something nice to be worn out to dinner, perhaps for a holiday office party, again husband in a nice shirt and slacks. Since we tend to eat later in the evening we could see what people were wearing. I saw one woman who would have been considered dressed formal, not one man with a jacket and tie. I did see women in long sundresses, a lot of what used to be called "Sunday Best", some in black pants with T-shirts that had sequins or glitter....it was all very weird. The better dressed men had combed their hair and changed out of their T-shirts and wore khaki's instead of jeans.

I didn't wear my intended pants outfit as that would have been too dressy for "formal" night. I did wear it the next evening, when most were back to their jeans and souvenir T-shirts.

By the way, don't take my post the wrong way! We had a great time on NCL, after all a cruise is what you make it out to be. The people were great, the crew was outstanding both times on the ship. The second time my husband and I had probably one of our favorite cruise experiences, we laughed the whole time.

My point is that the line is extremely casual, so no worries about selecting the formals :)

Just back from Norwegian Jewel. On formal night we saw many people dressed up,men in suit and some tuxes. Didn't see any formal gowns on ladies, but saw some nice lbd's.

What you see may depend on what restaurant you go to. One of the free restaurants is designated "dressy" and they state there are no jeans allowed there.

We went to the latitudes party which was at 5:15 pm on the "dress up or not" evening, and almost all the men were in at least a sports jacket. Women had also kicked it up a notch.

We took our first NCL cruise in January, and we opted out of formal wear. We still dressed nicely for dinner but did not feel over or under dressed and we ate in one of the main dining rooms. I saw women in both long and cocktail dresses, and I remember seeing men in suits, but I don't remember any tuxes (certainly doesn't mean there weren't any), but I'd say that only 30% dressed for formal nights. Even less than half the people at the captain's cocktail party were formally dressed.

We liked being able to choose if we wanted to lug the formal clothing or not, and we drove to that port. We've booked another for a year from now where we'll fly to that port, so no formal wear for that one either. But we really enjoyed NCL and freestyle, and we're looking forward to four ports we've never visited.

I should also add that we've always enjoyed formal nights on other lines, and we are more driven my itinerary and cruise cost than the line. So when we cruise the lines that do still have formal nights (where opting out isn't as easy or even suggested), we'll bring the appropriate clothing and do as the Romans.

Personnally, I would feel overdressed in an long gown on NCL but it's really up to you.

You will see plenty of cocktail dresses or simple long dresses (not "evening" dresses) though.

I have a fancy asymetrical (below the knee to mid-calf) dress and even with that, I felt a bit overdressed (but not enough to go change).

I have to say, it is true that many did not dress formal, but there was still a nice group that did, (I would say about a third) back in November on my cruise. Now I cruised Thanksgiving week and there were lots of families.

However, this is what I liked, over all people dressed "better" casual was nice casual, not bummy stuff that many consider casual. I saw very few people even in nice shorts after 6 pm. Maybe because they wanted to make nice family portraits that week?

We cruised NCL Star Jan. '08 out of L.A. with about 35 family members. I wore a formal gown the night of the captains coctail party. This was my first NCL cruise, and my 15th cruise overall. I was used to dressing up, so I did not know what to expect. I was the most dressed up person on board! We were taking a big family picture so my mother-in-law wanted us to be dresseed up, so our family looked a little out of place! We are going on the Spirit in a few days and I'm thinking we (me, husband and 2 sons) will probably skip the formal attire! If the folks out of L.A. are not dressed up, I doubt the ones out of New Orleans will be any different.

We cruised NCL Star Jan. '08 out of L.A. with about 35 family members. I wore a formal gown the night of the captains coctail party. This was my first NCL cruise, and my 15th cruise overall. I was used to dressing up, so I did not know what to expect. I was the most dressed up person on board! We were taking a big family picture so my mother-in-law wanted us to be dresseed up, so our family looked a little out of place! We are going on the Spirit in a few days and I'm thinking we (me, husband and 2 sons) will probably skip the formal attire! If the folks out of L.A. are not dressed up, I doubt the ones out of New Orleans will be any different.

My cruise out of NOLA was the cruise where the smallest percentage of people who chose to dress up (it might have been only this particular sailing, I don't know).

We usually cruise on Celebrity, and have cruised on RC and have enjoyed the formal nights. I was checking the Norwegian site as I love the look of some of the new suites. I know they have Anytime Dining, but they mentioned there is a restaurant where one could appropriately wear formal. Not that we would do this more than once or twice, but has anyone seen ANYONE dressed formally on a Norwegian cruise recently? I guess we would change after dining if we were to dress up for dinner, but I wouldn't want to look like a "fish out of water" or a completely inexperienced cruiser who is totally overdressed on our way to and from dinner. :o

NCL has the "Dress Up- Or Not" nights so it gives everyone the option to participate in this event or not.

I wore a little black dress and my boyfriend wore slacks and a button up shirt. Obviously this wasn't formalwear, but we did feel like we participated and were still really comfortable.

I think there's lots of places you go whether you're on a cruise or not where some are more dressed up than others. For instance, we could be in the same restaurant but you may be wearing a fancy dress because you're celebrating an event but I may be wearing black slacks & a nice top because I came right from work. I think both are appropriate, so it's up to you what you feel comfortable in.

Another note, when I was on NCL last April, the lines for the photographers on the "Dress Up" nights were very long with people who did dress up. Those wearing jeans probably wouldn't have been in the line for a picture & wouldn't have noticed all the groups that did dress up. Again, if you weren't participating in "Dress Up" night, you would have been dining in a different restaurant also, thus not seeing those who did come to dinner dressed.

If you enjoy formal nights and want to wear a gown, then go for it. But some people will still be wearing jeans that night and it's your call if that makes you feel out of place.

NCL has the "Dress Up- Or Not" nights so it gives everyone the option to participate in this event or not.

I wore a little black dress and my boyfriend wore slacks and a button up shirt. Obviously this wasn't formalwear, but we did feel like we participated and were still really comfortable.

I think there's lots of places you go whether you're on a cruise or not where some are more dressed up than others. For instance, we could be in the same restaurant but you may be wearing a fancy dress because you're celebrating an event but I may be wearing black slacks & a nice top because I came right from work. I think both are appropriate, so it's up to you what you feel comfortable in.

Another note, when I was on NCL last April, the lines for the photographers on the "Dress Up" nights were very long with people who did dress up. Those wearing jeans probably wouldn't have been in the line for a picture & wouldn't have noticed all the groups that did dress up. Again, if you weren't participating in "Dress Up" night, you would have been dining in a different restaurant also, thus not seeing those who did come to dinner dressed.

If you enjoy formal nights and want to wear a gown, then go for it. But some people will still be wearing jeans that night and it's your call if that makes you feel out of place.

Although both nights we ate in specialty restaurants, my daughter and I participated the first night and not the second. However, on the second night we still wore dress slacks and nice dressy tops, I wore a dressy silk blouse. She wore a sparkly cami and a little shrug over it with her dress slacks.

What I liked about NCL-of the 2 main no pay extra restaurants, one you dressed to eat there on formal night and the other you didn't and could wear jeans in that restuarant at dinner any night. I was told this was enforced too. If you went to the one restaurant not properly dressed, you were directed to the other where the dress was more causal. Both restaurants had identical menus and probably the same galley.

What does it matter? If you feel like dressing to the nines DO. We have been on many NCL cruise. Some times we take our formal wear other times not. It's nice just to look good for each other and it doesn't matter what everyone else is wearing!

Our next cruise will be with RCL in Nov. that will have 1200 bikers on it. Will I be formal, heck no, our formal night will be "dress in leather". For that cruise we will be the norm in leather, t-shirts & shorts.;)

Not that we would do this more than once or twice, but has anyone seen ANYONE dressed formally on a Norwegian cruise recently? I guess we would change after dining if we were to dress up for dinner, but I wouldn't want to look like a "fish out of water" or a completely inexperienced cruiser who is totally overdressed on our way to and from dinner. :o

I sail NCL all the time. Each sailing varies. The nice thing about NCL is that you really can wear whatever and not feel out of place. If you are talking tuxedos and gowns, then not much on my last few cruises with exception to NewYearsEve sailing. If you mean cocktail dresses and suits, then I would say about 30%. Resort casual would be another 50% and casual being 20%. It is only up to you if you feel out of place. I tend to wear dresses or dress pants/dress top. Frankly, it does not really matter to most NCL cruisers.

Have a great time no matter how formal you go. Even though they have optional dress up or not nights, you can go formal any night as they have photo-ops available every evening.

coka

Archived