Will an American feel welcome on the QM2

nitnyleo

I don't know whether the enquiry was serious, but you should be aware that the Royal Family have staff that do those sort of things for them so they are never put in a potentially embarassing situation or position. As a matter of interest I think the answer may be No, but this link FLYING COLOURS FLAGMAKERS LTD will take you to the Royal Flagmaker, which is close. :)

I don't think we've had a serious post since about number 5. :)

Apparently, no official New York State tartan. There is one for New York City, though. McLennium.

newyork_tartan2.jpg

Now I’ve been having a bit of a think about this, wait a minute, wait a minute, I know you’re all shouting ‘OH NO, not bloody Gari thinking again’, but bear with me. The OFFICIAL shellfish has been, to quote the Lord High Executioner, ‘a source of innocent merriment’ to me for the past couple of days.

However, I can think of it now with nothing but a little smirk and if I think long and hard about it a strange sense of logic begins to appear. If the Quahog or whatever it is happens to be the most plentiful in a certain region and if it is caught/ gathered/hunted and consumed by the bucketful as a delicacy then it is but a step away from the fisher folk of the area to think, ‘HEY HEY we could make a few more bucks if we say this is the OFFICIAL Quishquash; put it on our letterheads and publicity and promote the hell out of it. Then people will be doing their patriotic duty if they eat more of the damn things.’ That is a rationale of sorts I suppose. And the same goes for fish and edible mammals. (The Official muffin is a bit of a grey area though, it’s difficult to think of a muffin confined to a particular State [ Oh God, now the State muffin munchers all over the USA will be after me] ). Anyway, all that being said fair enough.

What I am now having trouble with now is the idea of the Official tartan of NYC and Connecticut.

Speaking as an ignorant Sassenach I have always been under the impression that a tartan was the badge/sign/distinguishing feature of a particular Scottish family/clan/Ilk or regiment (such as are left nowadays). No doubt someone will correct me and I will willingly stand corrected. I have limited means of search at my disposal but a trawl through the telephone directories of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Inverness failed to turn up a single McLellium. Therefore, the tartan was designed, as I said, specifically as a commercial venture and one that turned out to be a damp squib at that. So where does the heritage come in? The whole point of wearing this design would surely be just fashion. Even so, supposing there had been such a family what is the point of an American city and state saying they have an Official tartan? Is NYC Scottish? I think the other 999 ethnic groups in that fair city would beg to differ, especially the Irish. I just don’t see the point. And taking it to it’s logical conclusion, it would have to a damn big kilt to go round NYC and an even bigger one to go round Connecticut. Will someone enlighten me please?

Gari

And isn't that nice!!:)

Well, about a year ago this time, when regular posters began "disappearing" by the score, the rule was 10 posts, then drift. Amazing we all are being tolerated at half that rate (or would that be twice?:confused:)!:D

I don't know whether the enquiry was serious, but you should be aware that the Royal Family have staff that do those sort of things for them so they are never put in a potentially embarassing situation or position. As a matter of interest I think the answer may be No, but this link FLYING COLOURS FLAGMAKERS LTD will take you to the Royal Flagmaker, which is close. :)

I was sorta somewhat half-serious.

But, bygosh, your reply makes it even more interesting. So her staff decides what kind of tonic water she should drink? What is she to do if she really prefers Canada Dry tonic water? Is she allowed to change the warrant, or does it require an act of Parliament?

You may take it all for granted. But, I can only imagine what the fallout would be if President Obama started giving his "stamp of approval" for products in the US.

Now I’ve been having a bit of a think about this, wait a minute, wait a minute, I know you’re all shouting ‘OH NO, not bloody Gari thinking again’, but bear with me. The OFFICIAL shellfish has been, to quote the Lord High Executioner, ‘a source of innocent merriment’ to me for the past couple of days.

However, I can think of it now with nothing but a little smirk and if I think long and hard about it a strange sense of logic begins to appear. If the Quahog or whatever it is happens to be the most plentiful in a certain region and if it is caught/ gathered/hunted and consumed by the bucketful as a delicacy then it is but a step away from the fisher folk of the area to think, ‘HEY HEY we could make a few more bucks if we say this is the OFFICIAL Quishquash; put it on our letterheads and publicity and promote the hell out of it. Then people will be doing their patriotic duty if they eat more of the damn things.’ That is a rationale of sorts I suppose. And the same goes for fish and edible mammals. (The Official muffin is a bit of a grey area though, it’s difficult to think of a muffin confined to a particular State [ Oh God, now the State muffin munchers all over the USA will be after me] ). Anyway, all that being said fair enough.

What I am now having trouble with now is the idea of the Official tartan of NYC and Connecticut.

Speaking as an ignorant Sassenach I have always been under the impression that a tartan was the badge/sign/distinguishing feature of a particular Scottish family/clan/Ilk or regiment (such as are left nowadays). No doubt someone will correct me and I will willingly stand corrected. I have limited means of search at my disposal but a trawl through the telephone directories of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Inverness failed to turn up a single McLellium. Therefore, the tartan was designed, as I said, specifically as a commercial venture and one that turned out to be a damp squib at that. So where does the heritage come in? The whole point of wearing this design would surely be just fashion. Even so, supposing there had been such a family what is the point of an American city and state saying they have an Official tartan? Is NYC Scottish? I think the other 999 ethnic groups in that fair city would beg to differ, especially the Irish. I just don’t see the point. And taking it to it’s logical conclusion, it would have to a damn big kilt to go round NYC and an even bigger one to go round Connecticut. Will someone enlighten me please?

Gari

Nope! You are quite correct Gari. These days you can have your own tartan designed which has no affiliation to any clan or sept (sub-clan)and is merely a fashion statement. The only thing you got wrong was classing yourself as a sassenach! Contrary to popular belief a sassenach is a lowland scot (non-gaelic speaking) and not an Englishman. That definition came into use circa 1745. :)

Nope! You are quite correct Gari. These days you can have your own tartan designed which has no affiliation to any clan or sept (sub-clan)and is merely a fashion statement. The only thing you got wrong was classing yourself as a sassenach! Contrary to popular belief a sassenach is a lowland scot (non-gaelic speaking) and not an Englishman. That definition came into use circa 1745. :)

So that means that the good folk of Edinburgh and Glasgow are sassenachs. Excellent. Maybe that's why they won't pay to see Scotland play at Murrayfield lol

But, bygosh, your reply makes it even more interesting. So her staff decides what kind of tonic water she should drink? What is she to do if she really prefers Canada Dry tonic water? Is she allowed to change the warrant, or does it require an act of Parliament?

You may take it all for granted. But, I can only imagine what the fallout would be if President Obama started giving his "stamp of approval" for products in the US.

Technically they are not giving "approval" but are recognising "tradespeople" who supply the Royal household. Warrants are only given to those who supply The Queen, Duke of Edinburgh and The Prince of Wales. Currently there are about 800 warrant holders. There are also quite a few foreign warrant holders!

Well my answer obviously went straight over your head, you asked about condoms and I replied that the Royal Family have someone else who soes that sort of thing for them. Get it now???

You shouldn't have to explain jokes - I apologize

Well my answer obviously went straight over your head, you asked about condoms and I replied that the Royal Family have someone else who soes that sort of thing for them. Get it now???

Well, Cap'n, I am sorry, i don't get it.

Gari

This is just for your enjoyment Gari, and it probably proves your point,. Please don't laugh too hard, though!

In what must have been a record year in Connecticut for designating official whoozits, legislators designated a state tartan despite a glitch. State Representative Michael A. Caron, the bill's sponsor, was notified by a Scottish organization that the plaid was not actually a tartan.

What's the point of a state tartan?

"I have no idea," Mr. Caron said. "I just threw it in the hopper."

Nope! You are quite correct Gari. These days you can have your own tartan designed which has no affiliation to any clan or sept (sub-clan)and is merely a fashion statement.

Surely then that debases the entire currency of the kilt.

The only thing you got wrong was classing yourself as a sassenach! Contrary to popular belief a sassenach is a lowland scot (non-gaelic speaking) and not an Englishman. That definition came into use circa 1745. :)

Sorry, I only have the Concise OED and took it at face value, must renew my subscription to the OED Online.I used to get it free but it's been a victim of the recession. BOO HISS!

Gari

I just have to ask, WHY?

Gari

This is just for your enjoyment Gari, and it probably proves your point,. Please don't laugh too hard, though! This is why!!!:D

In what must have been a record year in Connecticut for designating official whoozits, legislators designated a state tartan despite a glitch. State Representative Michael A. Caron, the bill's sponsor, was notified by a Scottish organization that the plaid was not actually a tartan.

What's the point of a state tartan?

"I have no idea," Mr. Caron said. "I just threw it in the hopper."

The Royals have staff who do messy things like having Sex for them.

No damn wonder Prince Charles always looks so happy!! It does explain a lot about Di and Fergie.

So my people, the Currys, who William of Orange thought would be much happier in Northern Ireland were Sassenachs?

These State things are not to be taken lightly, there has been an ongoing battle in Hawaii about the State Fish, the Humuhumunukunukuapua'a (pig nosed fish) picked by the school children of Hawaii. It seems it's not indigenous to Hawaii but is all over the place. Some favor the Oopu in it's place. (You can't make up stuff like this!)

As regards our State dinosaur, I believe I've encountered one in our primal forests while looking for my golf ball, a couple of Sasquatch as well, or perhaps they were Sassenachs? I mean they are both equally hairy, and I wasn't looking for kilt at the time.

I'm sorry . . . I was thinking about mustard and pickles and tonic water . . . no need to apologize . . .

Therefore, the tartan was designed, as I said, specifically as a commercial venture and one that turned out to be a damp squib at that. So where does the heritage come in? The whole point of wearing this design would surely be just fashion. Even so, supposing there had been such a family what is the point of an American city and state saying they have an Official tartan?

But didn't you start this nonsense with the Black Watch?

Of course, with fine drives from St Andrews, no doubt.

Our panhandle is much like St. Andrews, cold, windy, more cattle than sheep, but you get the picture. I lived in Borger TX, we had one tree and it was a monument!! You could stand on a beer can and see Chicago.

I didn't start anything it's just that I have an curious mind. Comment as applicable.Gari

I have been a life long reader, I know, they probably have a 12 step program for that, usually fiction, and a lot historical, and based on the number of authors, a lot of it yours!! Let's see Hemingway, Zane Gray, CS Forester, Patrick O'Brian, and slumming with Benard Cornwell. I'm the only UTEP grad to have a year of Shakespeare. Call me a peasant, but I've always admired his treatment of the Royals!!

If I want to get depressed, I read Ian Rankin!!:)

This is all light hearted, as I love cruising and seeing the world, and the wife and I dance ballroom (that put a lot of Texas Stereotypes to rest)but you don't get to meet people like these everyday. So, if you plays the game, you wins a Cupie Doll.

Archived