live from the Journey March 24th

bernardj

Live from the Journey, March 24th.

Since we greatly appreciated the various reviews and comments we have read over the last few months and since your reviews have guided our choice of cruise itinerary and cruiseship, I wanted to report on our few first days on the Journey en route to Barcelona.

First, I have to confess that although I am well traveled and stayed anywhere from ‘adventure’ accomodations to multi-star establishements on 4 continents, it is my first cruise. And what a cruise!

From the warm reception by RCI staff at the airport , to transfers and embarkation : flawless. I was warned by friends that the process of getting onboard can be tedious if not worse, well, it took less than 15 minutes before we were greeted with a smile and a glass of bubbly and directed toward the lunch buffet. We were still at the table enjoying our first meal when an announcement was made that the rooms were ready, luggage followed shortly after.

What struck me with the ship interior is the refined decor, pleasing, restful and its

understated chic. Art (vintage photography) on the wall and even over the urinals in the mensroom is really well chosen (sorry ladies for this level of detail but be reassured the there shots are vintage sport pictures ; ) ..., discrete and reminiscent of times gone by. Same can be said of the architecture of the ship’s main common rooms and circulation pathways.

Cabin, balcony is well appointed, spotless, and roomier than expected. I have to admit, that I am not sure we are cruising on the same ship described in certain threads of this forum. Our butler Mohammed has been present and easely reachable from the first hour, when he offered to help us unpack, to this afternoon when he delivered the ice bucket for cocktails after noticing, yesterday, that we loved to enjoy a drink on the terrace at 18h00. Room service is impeccable, phone call to warn -us breakfast is on the way… so no surprise, to cleanliness and attention to details.

We are very pleased to have bought the Thalassotherapy Acqua Spa Pooldeck Pass for the duration of this cruise which includes so many days at sea. The view is spectacular, the area is well maintained and frankly, we appreciate the level of privacy and the respite from the constant , sometimes, very loud conversations we have been exposed to in other areas of the ship.

Now the big question, if you are like me and love your food. How is it? We love it, truly… Breakfast is fine, not remarquable, this being said, choice is more than ok, more important, everything is warm and well prepared. One would appreciate a little variation in the offerings, particularly on a 16 days cruise, maybe my wish will be granted. We have had lunch, aft at the Windows cafe, food again is well prepared, somewhat repetive but it is lunch and I personally am happy with a great salad, vegetarian offering and their chicken salad mix is really, really good.

Dinner is an entire other experience. I am really impressed by the quality of the cuisine and the level of service offered in the main dining room, Discoveries. Again, am I cruising on the same ship than some who commented previously? Sure, some waiting time might have to be experienced, if dining at high time ( on this cruise anytime between 18h00 and 20h00…). But I have to say that our dining at the Aqualina specialty restaurant ( we have been lucky to dine there more than once already) have been more than satisfactory, the meals enjoyed were really, really enjoyable. From fresh seafood platter to light souffle, exceptional french cheeses and yellow fin tuna, all well prepared and the quality of the service is as high as what might be expected in a Michelin toasted restaurant. Truly… Our gratitude to Mr Terrassi Maitre d’ and to our sommelier, whose name unfortunately is evading me for ensuring our couple anniversary would be remembered so foundly.

One negative comment, why on earth stop in Labadee, exception made that it is owned by the cruiseline…. Water is murky, beaches are bearely safe, forget the fact we had unclement weather, there are so many idyllic spots in the Carribean, why impose on us this boring and unconfortable port of call.

So here it is, let’s hope the weather will hold and more important, that the level of prestation will be maintained during the remaining 12 days of this cruise. I will report to you later. Sorry, given the need to rest ( I am not retired yet…) , I will not answer directly all comments posted in response to this post (will try when back), please do not be offended.

Time to go, would not miss the sunset on the Atlantic for anything in the world,

Bernard

Thanks for your review...you took over the Journey just as we got off! This was our 2nd cruise with this ship and thought it was even better than before! The food, we thought, was excellent, the service the best, and Trivia fun (I know, not everyones cup of tea but we like it :o ) and the way they treat CC members (both Cruise Critic & Captains Club) I think is top notch! Please say hi to Liesl for us..the CC member rep on board...she is our favorite staff member ever! And please enjoy for us this great ship and crew! LuAnn & Kenneth

Bernard

We came off Journey on March 8 and were very sorry to leave. It was our third Azamara cruise, will certainly not be our last and look forward to the next time. We hope you continue to have a wonderful time. We also send our best wishes to Liesl and the outstanding officers and crew.

Rita and Brian

Bernard,

Thanks for the post. Except for the part about Labadee (since we sailed on Journey in the Mediterranean), all I have to say is: ditto!

We too enjoyed the ship, the ambiance and the dining in Discoveries. The specialty restaurants were very nice, but the main DR was also very nice. And like you, I wondered if we sailed on the same ship as other people who had nothing but complaints. Then again, some people are born to complain!:cool:

One thing we really enjoyed about the balcony was the fact that it has a real table which allows to have breakfast on the balcony. You must try that! Very enjoyable.

We liked it so much last fall that we made an impulse decision a few days ago and are now booked on a 14-day Best of Italy cruise leaving Rome on Aug. 9 -- on Quest. We are very excited.

Enjoy your cruise! Happy sailing and bon appétit!

Sylvain

Archived