Is Klein Bonaire worth it?

acruise4me

We are visiting Bonaire in April. Our time in port is short, less than 5 hours. The tours with Renee and Woodwind are full. We could travel to Klein ourselves using a water taxi. However, I would like to know if it is worth the trip. A family friend with experience in snorkeling said it was very dissappointing at Klein Bonaire. Others on CC were pleased with the snorkeling. Is it worth visiting Klein Bonaire or would a visit to Plaza Beach be just as good? Seems like a bit of a hassle getting to Klein on your own, so I would like to know if people really recommend the visit. Do you have other suggestions while in port?

Thanks!

I was just in Bonaire 10 days ago and experienced the best snorkeling of my life at Klein Bonaire. We booked with Princess for a $29 ride on the water taxi. It is a 20 minute ride. The reef is very close to the shore and in some shallow water in places. The water was very clear and it was quite easy to see. The shore can be rocky. The sealife was plentiful, including a number of large baracuda. In all, my group of 4 loved the experience and felt it was the highlight of our 10 day Southern Cruise.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your time in Bonaire. It is a beautiful island!

We were in Bonaire early March and really enjoyed the snorkeling on Klein Bonaire. We felt that the water taxi from the ship was well worth the 29.00, you board right next to the cruise ship, they have snorkel gear to rent for $5.00 right on board the first shuttle or on the beach at the island. It is very rustic, so if you are into being spoiled might not be the excursion for you. You arent in port long enough to do much else, but others on our cruise said the island was really nice, the town is clean, the shopping seemed nonexistent, but then we only had about an hour to wander about and might of missed it. But if like snorkeling and you are on a cruise do NOT pass up snorkeling in Bonaire, its the best of all the islands we went to (Aruba, Bonaire, Grenada, Dominica and St. Thomas and we snorkeled all but Dominica)

We are visiting Bonaire in April. Our time in port is short, less than 5 hours. The tours with Renee and Woodwind are full. We could travel to Klein ourselves using a water taxi. However, I would like to know if it is worth the trip. A family friend with experience in snorkeling said it was very dissappointing at Klein Bonaire. Others on CC were pleased with the snorkeling. Is it worth visiting Klein Bonaire or would a visit to Plaza Beach be just as good? Seems like a bit of a hassle getting to Klein on your own, so I would like to know if people really recommend the visit. Do you have other suggestions while in port?

Thanks!

Less than 5 hours- that really is a short time. If you're ever there longer, we rented a jeep from Hertz the first time we were there, and did our own island tour. The last time we were there we rented a minivan from Hertz again (They are in the Divi next to the port) and 6 of us did a self guided snorkel tour. At the end of the day we drove over near windsock and watched the sunset.

Both times were great. Hertz is reasonable, and easy. The roads are good, and they drive right like we do.

Have a great cruise!

the snorkeling was great but several people on our water taxi thought it was a waste. I dont think they walked around to the left and drift snorkeled back as you as supposed to do. the area where the water taxi brings you is not the area to snorkel in. the water was clear, the coral and the fish were terrific. it was definitely worth the trip.

just so I understand... did someone say the snorkeling is in shallow waters? My DH doesnt swim well and has a fear if the water is deep. However he snorkeled in aruba where he could put a fin down and felt fine. I would love to snorkel here but won't want to leave him behind.

thanks

LadyLynne, I was there a few weeks ago. It was fantastic. I went on my own, simply taking a 5 minute walk from the pier to the dock, purchasing my round trip ticket for $20 and then waiting about 20 minutes for the next taxi to arrive.

The water is very shallow when you first get in, and yes, you can snorkel there while you're literally standing up. But to see even more and to see the real good stuff (lots of bigger fish and coral), you need to then swim past the coral where it suddenly drops about 30 feet deep, I would say, and that's where the best snorkeling is. I just floated on my stomach and the water slowly carries you down for your own "tour" of the water below and the reef. A very easy excursion to do on your own with no prior planning (ie. booking through the cruise ship). It could be scary though for someone who doesn't like deep depths if you swim past the reef and suddenly there's nothing but a great amount of water below you.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it was really nice out there. We took the water taxi from Princess--however, if I did it again, I would try to get the taxi on my own. I think we could've and paid less.

I thought the snorkeling was very good. 2nd only to Hawaii. Since we also had such a short time there, I think it's worth it to go.

Archived