cell phones

termoo

We're going on a 4-day Carnival Cruise in April. It stops first in Catalina and then goes to Ensenada and then back to Long Beach.

My question is: will there be extra charges if I use my cellphone on the ship while we're cruising to Catalina since we'll still technically be in the US????

What about texting? Do the same charges apply?

Thanks!

You might want to call your wireless carrier to find out.Because if it doesnt reach you won't have any service and if that is the case you might want to let your carrier know and maybe for a few extra $$$ you could extend your plan.

If your cell phone connects to an antenna on shore and said antenna either belongs to your carrier or to a carrier with which yours has a no-fee roaming agreement, there will be no additional charge. If you connect through the ship's system there will be (high) additional charges.

If your cell phone connects to an antenna on shore and said antenna either belongs to your carrier or to a carrier with which yours has a no-fee roaming agreement, there will be no additional charge. If you connect through the ship's system there will be (high) additional charges.

This is absolutely correct. I'd also add that if your cellphone plan, like mine, has no roaming charges for anywhere in the US, then there won't be additional charges no matter what carrier the antenna belongs to.

This is absolutely correct. I'd also add that if your cellphone plan, like mine, has no roaming charges for anywhere in the US, then there won't be additional charges no matter what carrier the antenna belongs to.

This is not always true. If you connect to the ship's cell tower, you will be charged regardless of what cell plan you have (i.e. the ship's cell tower does not care if you have a "no roaming charge" plan with your cell phone provider - they still bill). In general the charge is $2.49 per minute when going through the ship's cell tower. Text messages often cost significantly more than they do on land (and again, even if you have a free-text-messaging plan with your provider, you still will be charged if it goes through the ship's tower). The ship turns it's tower on when it is a certain distance from land (I am not sure of the exact distance).

I just checked my bill. I have my blackberry automatically to turn on and turn off. I forgot to turn this feature off when I got on the cruise ship. I got a $3 fee for roaming download of data (my email messages that were downloaded) for the first part of the cruise, the rest of the cruise is on the next billing cycle. I caught it a couple days in and turned off the phone, although, there were downloads on a couple other days which is in the next billing cycle.

I would recommend you contact your carrier so you don't end up like this guy!

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-10173009-71.html

Part of the reason for going on a cruise is to get away from the ordinary.

Ask yourself: do you really need to be connected to your shore-based life? Give yourself a break: drop off the planet, it will continue in its orbit without your help, and you will have given yourself a rest.

Part of the reason for going on a cruise is to get away from the ordinary.

Ask yourself: do you really need to be connected to your shore-based life? Give yourself a break: drop off the planet, it will continue in its orbit without your help, and you will have given yourself a rest.

This is what I'd LIKE to do!!! The cruise is just my daughter and I. My husband (who's not going to be with us) wants to know how to get hold of us. I told him we'd maybe call him from Catalina, but that's it.

My teenage daughter will be lost without her cellphone, but I think it'll be good for her.:D

I appreciate everyone's responses!!!

This is not always true. If you connect to the ship's cell tower, you will be charged regardless of what cell plan you have (i.e. the ship's cell tower does not care if you have a "no roaming charge" plan with your cell phone provider - they still bill). In general the charge is $2.49 per minute when going through the ship's cell tower. Text messages often cost significantly more than they do on land (and again, even if you have a free-text-messaging plan with your provider, you still will be charged if it goes through the ship's tower). The ship turns it's tower on when it is a certain distance from land (I am not sure of the exact distance).

You are absolutely correct, you signal will be picked up by Cellular at Sea in just a couple of mile after sail-a-way and at least for my AT&T plan the cost is $2.49/min and .50/txt.

Check with your cell phone company and then check your bill carefully after you return. We did this each time we cruised (4 times). Each time we went we had different reasons for calling people. The last time was the birth of my first granddaughter. But each time their were mistakes in the bill which I caught.

We have a prepaid cell.............and discovered it worked way out at sea on our TA...........pleasant surprise! We had service in Canada and in Mexico. We couldn't call OUT of Mexico but I went into a call center and for 45 or 5o cents called my Mom who then called me back and had our (grown)kids call us as well.

Since we are PREpaid there are never any roaming or ship charges. FUN!:o

Although you are going from a US port to a US port, the ship will head out into international waters for gambling/duty free shopping to occur. This will probably pull you far enough away from land to not be able to get a land signal. When you get to Catalina you should be fine, but when you are on the ship, it will be $4/minute.

Archived