Naples. Experience with Blue Grotto?????

Our family, with 2 teenage boys, will be in Naples on 7/11 and plan to take hydrofoil to Capri and do the Blue Grotto. A friend will meet us there.

Anyone with experience on this please fill me in......

How far is the hydrofoil ferry area from where the ship docks? Is sea sickness really that much of a problem. (one son is a bit senstive)

Recommendations on the best way to do the BLUE GROTTO with 5 people?

Other recommendations for CAPRI?

Beaches?

THE LEMON TREE restaurant was recommended.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will likely be very near to where the hydrofoils depart - when we were there (Celebrity) we disembarked and then to the left you could see the docking area for the ferries and hydrofoils. And since you asked, sea sickness can be a problem - I have read that if you take a ferry, it may be less of an issue but I think the ride is twice as long. On our hydrofoil the crew brought out barf bags to pass out. My daughter was feeling fine until the sounds of other ill passengers began to make her feel poorly. The ride did not seem too bad to me but on the hydrofoils you pretty much ride in an enclosed and somewhat stuufy area and I think that can aggrevate any queasyness from the water movement.

On Capri you can get a small boat from the port directly to the grotto - that will probably be fastest. There are group boats going out that circle the island and say they stop at the grotto but be aware, you may get there and then be told the line is too long so you must return to port and go out again. Another option is to go up to Anacapri and transfer to another bus down to where the grotto is.

My highlight of the day was to go to Anacapri and then take the chairlift up to a ruined Roamn villa - amazing veiws and the chairlift was alot of fun. Also the ride up to Anacapri on the local bus is quite a thrill in itself. Have a great day!

The blue grotto is amazing and well worth going to. We were there early October and the queue was not long at all - can't vouch for any other time of year! You can get there 2 ways, by boat or by taxi. If by taxi you get in their little boat once you are there.

Be careful though...ask when you buy your ferry tickets if the blue grotto is open that day. The entrance is so small that if it is windy or if the water is bumpy you can't go in. Also if you ask the person who rows the boat you can jump in and swim in the grotto. Another great idea is to take a boat tour completely around the island then you get the blue and the green grotto. Its worth it.

One thing to be prepared for--the Blue Grotto takes a long time to get into (two separate boats), especially on a crowded day, and the stay inside it is very short--but it's breathtakingly beautiful when you're inside. You have to decide if it's worth taking up a significant amount of your day to see it.

Les

You can only go in when the tide is right, and around noon is the most spectacular blues. You can ask at the docks right near where the hydrofoil docks if there are boats going into the blue grotto. We were told in the morning that there were not but he also said "Check back later!" Glad we did - we went out, did the transfer into a little boat, and it was spectacular. I may try to swim in by myself this time. It is a dream!

• 4 years later...

Hi We have two boys age 16 and 18 and we are planning to take boat to capri and the boys want to snorkel or dive the blue grotto or other grottos in the area on June 11 Are you on the Celebrity Silhouette? Also looking to snorkel or scuba out of Valletta. Found a private boat 1,000 euros included trans from ship to positano and 1/2 day cruise snorkel. they said we could add more people and it we could share cost maybe it would prabably 200 more for transportation and then extra for lunch may not be worth it

Since this thread has been resurrected we thought it might be helpful to post some more info. As has been said Naples Beverello Ferry port is located to the left (when looking inland) from the cruise docks takes about 10 min to walk (it varies a little depending on your actual docking postion). The last we heard, there are still 2 different companies operating the fast jetboats/hydrofoils. Some of the jetboats have an open upper deck which is perfect for those concerned about getting seasick...since you get lots of air. The cost is about 17 Euros (one way) and the tickets are NOT interchangeable between the two companies running the boats. So we usually recommend waiting until you get to Capri, checking the return schedule at the Capri ticket kiosk (located right at the end of the pier) and buying a return ticket as soon as you arrive. Make sure you buy a ticket on a boat going to "Molo Beverello" and NOT Molo Mergellina (another port in Naples about 2 miles from the cruise port).

As to the Blue Grotto, just be forewarned that it is one the greatest tourist traps in Italy, is quite expensive (from the Marina Grande port where you arrive on Capri) and it can also be lots of fun. There are boats doing this tour from the same pier that you arrive (they will have lots of signs in English) and they use a larger boat to take you around to the other side of Capri (this is actually a wonderful picturesque water tour) to the Blue Grotto. At that point you will be loaded in small groups onto the small row boats that can take you inside the Grotto. Even though you will have already paid a pretty steep price, be prepared for these boat rowers to "demand" more tips before they let you get back into your larger boat (to take you back to Marina Grande).

As to when to do the Blue Grotto, because of the time involved...it is something you should do as soon as you arrive on Capri (assuming the Grotto is open that day). For those who want to just swim into the Grotto (we have never seen anyone do it) you probably need to get ground transportation from Marina Grande (or Capri Town) to the Grotto (this is all on land). We have heard that the Grotto is normally closed to swimmers when the boats are running...which can be all day if the tides are favorable. I do not think you want to be swimming in that place and run the risk of being hit (and knocked out) by a tour boat.

Hank

Our family, with 2 teenage boys, will be in Naples on 7/11 and plan to take hydrofoil to Capri and do the Blue Grotto. A friend will meet us there.

Anyone with experience on this please fill me in......

How far is the hydrofoil ferry area from where the ship docks? Is sea sickness really that much of a problem. (one son is a bit senstive)

Recommendations on the best way to do the BLUE GROTTO with 5 people?

Other recommendations for CAPRI?

Beaches?

THE LEMON TREE restaurant was recommended.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The water from Naples to Capri is can be a little rough. 2 suggestions make sure he has something for sea sickness and maybe goes outside if he can.

Not sure what ports you are visiting but if you are going to Malta the blue Grotto there is much better than Capri. The water in Capri can be iffy and you may get to the grotto and may not be able to go in if the waves are too high.