Best part of cruising is.....

scapilot

Knowing that I will have a great time, no matter what happens onboard. Oh and getting my picture taken when I am getting checked in, thats when the true vacation starts.
My vacation truly starts after lifeboat drill is over. That and unpacking. Then, it's ... let the fun begin!

Blue skies ...

--rita

No one can reach me and I do not have to be anywhere at any time, well except for the muster drill.

On the last cruise we had 1 excursion in 14 days and that was at 10 am and outside of that early seating at dinner was the only other thing we had a set time for and we skipped that twice. It was great and the most relaxing cruise we have ever had :D

My vacation truly starts after lifeboat drill is over. That and unpacking. Then, it's ... let the fun begin!

Blue skies ...

--rita

Yes! People always ask me if I'm excited, before I leave. I tell them, once the flight is over, I'm on the ship, unpacked, and the drill over, and we're on our balcony watching the shore slip away, then I'm excited!

Yes! People always ask me if I'm excited, before I leave. I tell them, once the flight is over, I'm on the ship, unpacked, and the drill over, and we're on our balcony watching the shore slip away, then I'm excited!

I agree totally! Today was my last day of work, and I have been asked that about 50 times this week, and my honest answer is "Once I'm there, I will be excited".

I stress so much during my last few days of work to make sure everything is tidied up and looked after before I leave, micromanaging every possible scenario. Then, once I start my trip, I realize that I really don't care what is going on at work! For me, that is the best part.

Same for me with the flight. I absolutely HATE to fly commercial (now, small planes, doing aerobatics ... yeah!) ... and always heave a sigh of relief when that flight is behind me. Then I hate the chore of unpacking ... especially since I generally take longer cruises and have more to unpack. Then lifeboat drill ... ahhhhh, how I hate putting that thing on and going out to stand on deck in it. It's always either too hot or too cold out there and I am very uncomfortable. I can't tell you how many times I've fantasized about skipping it ... but I always go. :)

But once all those things are over ... and it's time to either get a bit of shuteye before dinner (because maybe I flew to the pier that morning after working all night) ... or it's time to go get a nice sailaway cocktail ... that's when I know my cruise has truly begun ... and it's nothing but good times from here on out! No more worries until it's time to pack and take that dastardly flight home again.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I agree totally! Today was my last day of work, and I have been asked that about 50 times this week, and my honest answer is "Once I'm there, I will be excited".

I stress so much during my last few days of work to make sure everything is tidied up and looked after before I leave, micromanaging every possible scenario. Then, once I start my trip, I realize that I really don't care what is going on at work! For me, that is the best part.

ABSOLUTELY! I think people are beginning to think I'm weird because I am not jumping up and down with giddiness. Between now and tomorrow I have to pack, clean up the house to such a point I will want to return, and spend a lot of time hugging the girls (not a 'have to' a 'want to.') Tomorrow I am getting up at 3 am and I will not sleep well tonight for fear of over sleeping. But tomorrow afternoon, once onboard the ship with a drink in hand, I will be excited!

Same for me with the flight. I absolutely HATE to fly commercial (now, small planes, doing aerobatics ... yeah!) ... and always heave a sigh of relief when that flight is behind me. Then I hate the chore of unpacking ... especially since I generally take longer cruises and have more to unpack. Then lifeboat drill ... ahhhhh, how I hate putting that thing on and going out to stand on deck in it. It's always either too hot or too cold out there and I am very uncomfortable. I can't tell you how many times I've fantasized about skipping it ... but I always go. :)

But once all those things are over ... and it's time to either get a bit of shuteye before dinner (because maybe I flew to the pier that morning after working all night) ... or it's time to go get a nice sailaway cocktail ... that's when I know my cruise has truly begun ... and it's nothing but good times from here on out! No more worries until it's time to pack and take that dastardly flight home again.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I'm a worrier by nature I think. I have a terrible fear of flying, so I don't breathe easily till we land, and then, I'm still not completely at ease until we've gone through check in at the ship and are actually on board. Then I don't feel settled until we're unpacked etc. After that, I'm fine. Until I have to fly home again.

Remember when flying was an enjoyable precursor to the cruise? *sigh* Those days are long gone. I know exactly what you mean.

Ah for the days when the airplanes actually had leg room. Maybe that is why they are all losing money as the cruise passengers are driving to the prot whenever possible.

How do you pick out one favorite part of a cruise? For me it is probably wearing warm weather clothing for the first time in awhile, standing out on the deck without all the winter gear on (and not worrying about getting frostbite), listening to the HAL cats playing the steel drums at the sailaway.

Archived