US Direct Question

lovebug33

Well I know I'm certainly confused - it appears from the link info that Carnival DOES participate (as does my airline--Northwest/Delta) in the US Direct program so I contacted Carnival and they tell me they only do it from airport to pier, not both ways. I had my TA check into it and of course she probably just called Carnival and was told what I was told.

We have a 12:05 outbound flight from Vancouver. If US Direct is not an option should be self-disembark and take a taxi to the airport or should we book a Carnival transfer there?

K.

The key here is your flight out of YVR a Northwest flight or a Delta flight? With a Delta flight the answer is you can't use US Direct but if the flight is a Northwest flight than you will be able to use the program. If the answer comes up 'no' than you can make your flight by self-disembarking.

I contacted port of vancouver and asked:

"We will be disembarking a cruise on May 16, 2009 at Canada Place. Our cruise line and airline both participate in the US Direct program. Could you please tell if this program will be available to use on this date - cruise ship to airport - flying non-stop to Los Angeles. We are US citizens."

They replied:

"Thank you for your email. To find out if the cruise line is ready to run the US Direct Program on that day, it is best to contact the local (Vancouver) passenger agent for the cruise line, as some lines do not begin running US Direct until a bit later in the season.

You did indicated [sic] which cruise line you are travelling with and there are 2 ships in port that day."

They then suggested I contact my cruise line local office or passenger agent. When I do this next week I will post their response.

Putterdude - well, it started out as a Northwest flight and is still listed in my itineary as one but didn't Delta take Northwest over? That's why I thought by the 8th of July it might be a Delta flight?!?:confused:

darcy24 - thanks fo your post. I will watch for your update. Three different Carnival reps have now told me that US Direct won't be an option for us but I have found in the past that reps for cruiselines don't always have the right information!

K.

Putterdude - well, it started out as a Northwest flight and is still listed in my itineary as one but didn't Delta take Northwest over? That's why I thought by the 8th of July it might be a Delta flight?!?:confused:

darcy24 - thanks fo your post. I will watch for your update. Three different Carnival reps have now told me that US Direct won't be an option for us but I have found in the past that reps for cruiselines don't always have the right information!

K.

I believe they merged and that the Northwest will still be a Northwest flight in July. I am looking at flights for September and a code share Delta/Northwest combination. Double check with the airlines though.....

We will be sailing in to Vancouver about 7:30 am. We have flights to the US scheduled at 12 noon and 12:20 pm. I called the HAL customer service and was told that we would be fine with using US Direct. He said that the last passenger should be off the ship by 9:30 am. Hope that helps people decide about using this service.

I also contacted HAL 2 weeks ago & they said that they would be participating in US Direct (Veendam June 28). We have a return flight at 12:10 with Air Canada out of YVR. The HAL agent said we could take care of everything on board and didn't need to purchase anything at this time.....I certainly hope she is correct :)

Archived