US Direct Question

lovebug33

I think that is what people called it (I can't find the thread now). How do you know if they can take your luggage right off the boat onto the airplane? We are on HAL and we are leaving on Alaska. I would gladly pay not to have to deal with any luggage check in. TIA!

As long as you are a US resident going back to the US on the same day the ship docks are are on one of the qualifying airlines that allows for your boarding pass to be printed onboard, you qualify for the US direct program.

From what I saw, Continental doesn't participate for people going from the port to the airport. Is that correct? We were looking at Continental, but haven't purchased tickets yet. Also, we dock at 7:30. Would we be able to make an 11:30am flight from a Princess cruise?

From what I saw, Continental doesn't participate for people going from the port to the airport. Is that correct? We were looking at Continental, but haven't purchased tickets yet. Also, we dock at 7:30. Would we be able to make an 11:30am flight from a Princess cruise?

Correct, Continental only participates from airport to pier. I would only book an 11:30am flight if you can participate in US Direct so if it's on Continental I wouldn't risk it.

• 2 weeks later...
We have used this and it is really convenient when you are going into Vancouver. We have had long delays with customs and this way you are taken "express" as if you had never been in Canada.

Hi Mamadot. Question about your comment, "as if you had never been in Canada".

I'm thinking about using U.S. Direct. I'm flying into Vanvouver boarding northbound Alaska cruise.

If you used U.S. Direct yourself, then I have question for you. Are you saying that you didn't have to go through being "admitted" into Canada? I know this means you don't have to wait in the immigration/customs line, but what I'm wondering is if you are then not officially admitted into Canada?

They talk about a secure, sterile transfer from the airport to the ship. Does that mean that if one is not really "admitted" into Canada, they get around this by putting the passenger on a secure shuttle and driving to the ship (as if you never stepped foot in Canada)?

Just wondering what the implications are here by using this program, and thank you in advance for any reply you may have for me!

I'm thinking about using U.S. Direct. I'm flying into Vanvouver boarding northbound Alaska cruise.

If you used U.S. Direct yourself, then I have question for you. Are you saying that you didn't have to go through being "admitted" into Canada? I know this means you don't have to wait in the immigration/customs line, but what I'm wondering is if you are then not officially admitted into Canada?

They talk about a secure, sterile transfer from the airport to the ship. Does that mean that if one is not really "admitted" into Canada, they get around this by putting the passenger on a secure shuttle and driving to the ship (as if you never stepped foot in Canada)?

Just wondering what the implications are here by using this program, and thank you in advance for any reply you may have for me!

Yes, that is exactly what happens. When you get off the plane in Vancouver you follow the signs for US Direct. You will bypass Canadian customs and head straight to the cruiseline transfers. The transfer is sealed for your transport to the pier. At the pier you bypass US immigration and head straight to check-in. Your bags are taken directly from the plane to the pier for you - you never have to retrieve them.

You and your luggage move in what might be regarded as an "in bond" situation so effectively you do not set foot in Canada...well you do but but oh well who cares. It does however require a the purchase of a ship's transfer for both you and your luggage. It is a great program and works very well for those who are moving directly from plane to ship or visa versa.

Yes, that is exactly what happens. When you get off the plane in Vancouver you follow the signs for US Direct. You will bypass Canadian customs and head straight to the cruiseline transfers. The transfer is sealed for your transport to the pier. At the pier you bypass US immigration and head straight to check-in. Your bags are taken directly from the plane to the pier for you - you never have to retrieve them.

Thank you, and this is reassuring. One of the people on the trip has an old dui and a couple of other things (reckless driving for one). All 15 to 20 years ago. But even with your reply I can't help but worry about them pulling her aside and not letting her "in". But if you are correct, they really are not letting her "in" when she uses US Direct.

I've got a friend who is an immigration attorney in Canada and I spoke with him today. He knows the main person at the Vancouver Airport Authority and he's going to ask him about this for me. I hope you and I are both correct in that a person using US Direct is not being "admitted" to Canada so her old problems won't come into play.

One final worry. I called my cruise line today and I got through to a supervisor. She had heard of US Direct before, and she called me back saying it would not be in operation during the part of May that we are crusing. Man, this worry never ends!

Oh, the attorney in Canada said to be on the safe side get as many documents as possible to bring with, just in case.... court records, FBI check, State records check... I don't think we have time to get this done and I'm hoping US Direct is the answer.

With the DUI being that far out it is extremely unlikely that it will be an isuue when crossing the border. But per the lawyer's adivice, get all the doc's that you can...however I doubt it will even come up.

Here is an email address for the Port of Vancouver, perhaps it would be worthwhile contacting them re the date of commencement for the US Direct program:

customer_service@portmetrovancouver.com

Definately forget this timeframe if you can NOT get US Direct. You would not likely make it otherwise.

With the DUI being that far out it is extremely unlikely that it will be an isuue when crossing the border. But per the lawyer's adivice, get all the doc's that you can...however I doubt it will even come up.

Here is an email address for the Port of Vancouver, perhaps it would be worthwhile contacting them re the date of commencement for the US Direct program:

customer_service@portmetrovancouver.com

Thanks for the e-mail address Putterdude. Much appreciated. Now it is my turn to share a bit of information I found today.

Using the web address you gave (the e-mail) I found the website to the port and looked at their contact information directory. I called a couple of the numbers (customer service and another which I don’t recall) seeking someone who could tell me when U.S. Direct starts this season. One of the (very nice) people I spoke with told me that the “Local Passenger Agent” for Carnival is World Wide Shore Services (tel: 604-683-5776). I called and spoke with their representative, asking if she could tell me when the U.S. Direct Program stats this season. She said she would check and call me back. Sure enough, within the hour she called back saying that the program might start as early as 05/27/09 this season but that it also might start sometime in June. So no U.S. Direct for my particular cruise in mid May. Rats.

Now I don’t know if there is a different “Local Passenger Agent” used by different cruise lines, nor do I know if those other lines will start their U.S. Direct Program on the same day as Carnival’s agent.

Once home in the Vancouver area late next week I will make a few calls and see if I can't get and update on this...."might be May 27th" strikes me as being kind of late as the Alaska cruise season is well under way by then. However thanks for sharing the information you gleaned today.:)

Thanks for you help in this putterdude - I, too, called Carnival this week to inquire about US Direct as we are flying home from Vancouver after disembarking the Spirit on July 8th. I really hope it is available as we have a 12:05 p.m. flight booked. I appreciate any assistance you can give.

K.

Putterdude, you seem to know a lot about the immigration issues wondering if you or someone else can answer a few questions.

I had a DUI 26 years ago. I just heard about the whole DUI/Canadian Inadmissability issue 2 days ago and now I'm worried I won't be allowed into Canada (I've travelled internationally many times but never to Canada before).

I'm leaving on a NB Alaskan cruise in early June out of Vancouver. I will be flying into Vancouver from the US the day before so US Direct is not an option. In addition, I used frequent flyer miles so I also can't change my flights.

I have several questions.

Do you think my 26 year old DUI will be an issue? I've never had any type of legal problem before or since. I've had my travel agency (AAA) run my DMV report and nothing comes up. I also have access to the Criminal Background Check reporting for my state. It's the source that Canada says to use as documentation of a "clean slate". I ran that report and nothing (not even the DUI) comes up. I have checked with the court where I was convicted and they can find no record of the conviction. Do I disclose the DUI or do I wait to see if they have record and ask about it?

If I'm not allowed in Canada, my plan B would be to fly to Seattle (I have friends I could stay with). I could then fly to Ketchikan (first port) to board the ship (the itinerary is only American ports and I'm not doing any excursions that would take me into Canada). My flight home is direct from Anchorage to Chicago. Does that sound like a viable plan B?

I thought of contacting an immigration attorney but don't know of any and also didn't really want to incur the expense. I emailed the Detroit office of Canadian Immigration and the response was a "canned" email describing the process to apply for rehabilitation or temporary residence (which takes 6 months to a year). I also thought of requesting my FBI file (if there is one) but this takes up to 2 months and I leave in 7 weeks. Also don't want to raise any flags if indeed no one has record of the DUI.

Thanks in advance for any advice people can offer. I'm a total planner and list-maker and can't believe I wasn't aware of this issue before now.

With a single DUI 26 years ago you will not have a problem at all in entering Canada. Bring any paper work that you may have on the matter but do not offer it unless questioned about it by a Customs officer.:)

I went to the link shown above and read the info on US Direct. I am confused on whether Delta participates in both from the pier to the airport and airport to the pier. I can read it both ways but am unclear. We used US Direct several years ago from Princess to Delta so would like to think they are good both ways. Is that the way you read it?

Well I know I'm certainly confused - it appears from the link info that Carnival DOES participate (as does my airline--Northwest/Delta) in the US Direct program so I contacted Carnival and they tell me they only do it from airport to pier, not both ways. I had my TA check into it and of course she probably just called Carnival and was told what I was told.

We have a 12:05 outbound flight from Vancouver. If US Direct is not an option should be self-disembark and take a taxi to the airport or should we book a Carnival transfer there?

K.

Archived