Join My letter writing campaign to RCI

Having had several days to reflect on the changes for Diamond members, my biggest concern is that if and when I reach Diamond Plus that the EXACT same austerity measures will once again rob from us what we had come to enjoy.

I have to say that the offer of a special party with ship's officers has absolutely no appeal to me. What I loved in the CL was the espresso/cappuccino machine and the ice show tickets, tender tickets when required and the morning snacks.

I would never sail exclusively on RCI just to have a party with the ship's officers.

Thanks to all who have written letters with me! Darrell -- loved yours to Mr. Fain.

I have had more time to reflect on this situation and frankly, I seem to be getter more mad -- not less. I wanted to comment on some things I have read on the many posts about this topic.

(1) "That RCI will not listen" -- this may be true, but who knows? I joined the letter writing campaign and reports to the Florida AG when RCI tried to retroactively charge fuel surcharges and we were successful - the surcharge was removed for those who had booked before the addition of the fuel supplement. Certainly if they are inundated with letters and cancellations, they have to rethink this.

(2) "That we are all whiners and act as though we were entitled to something." Yes, I do feel as though I was entitled to benefits - Why, because I spent 7 years of vacations on RCI because I was enticed by the great rewards - primarily the concierge. This is tens of thousands of dollars. I could have cruised with another line or shopped around, but didn't. You cannot offer a benefit, entice me to earn the benefit and then take it away. I have every right to complain

(3) "That it is only a few drinks - just go to the Schooner Bar and buy your drink." My last cruise was on the Radiance through the Panama Canal -- 14 nights. Hubbie and I had 2 to 3 drinks minimum each night at the concierge. At a minimum, those drinks over the course of a cruise would have cost me $400.00 -- and probably more. (Of course this is not the cost to RCI which is much less). Between taking this from me and not allowing me to combine my shareholder credit with my Diamond credit, RCI's new policies are costing me $600+ pre cruise. It is not just chump change. Plus, I really enjoyed the concierge - he made the trip special and I felt as though RCI was truly appreciative of long-term cruisers like me.

(4) "There is a Diamond Lounge on Freedom class, Oasis. So, cruise on those ships. Or book a suite if you want these perks." First, RCI "promised" Diamonds perks on all ships with a lounge. The big ships are too crowded for my taste and often focus on 7 day cruises - I like longer cruisers on smaller ships. And who can even afford a suite - especially since junior suites don't get the lounge use.

(5) "The new rules are necessary for overcrowding" Well, if that has become a problem it is not the fault of Diamond members - it is RCIs fault for not planning more appropriately - so, don't punish Diamonds. And as far as I can tell, everything was working well with the overflow Diamond Viking lounge. Also, on Radiance class (what I usually cruise), there are less than 40 suites that can use the lounge - and only a handful of D+ per cruise. Seems silly to have a lounge for less than 100 guests, many of which won't even use it. Why not allow the Diamonds to have this benefit. And frankly, RCI saying the level of service in the lounge is subpar and must be brought up to a better level for the sutie guests does not appear to be true based on my experience. Concierges are generally the most efficient, wonderful and pleasant crew onboard. The service I have received in the lounge has made my cruise for me.

(6) "We only whine and offer no solutions." I have solutions for RCI.

1. Grandfather in Diamonds to use the lounge who reach that level by 7/1/09

2. Offer less appetizers or just wine/beer if it is a cost problem

3. If overcrowding, offer a seperate locale to solve the problem

4. Don't alienate loyal customers by sending a canned response to a real problem and by saying Diamonds are getting some new rewards - we are not dumb - there is nothing new to make up for what you have taken.

I hope all of you will continue to express your concerns to RCI even though they are sending "canned' responses. They must have some realization of the import of Cruise Critic or they wouldn't sponsor onboard events for us.

KEEP THOSE LETTERS COMING!!!!

Lawgirl and others

I too (finally) received my "canned" response to the letter I sent to C&A, Richard Fain, and Adam Goldstein-- signed by Mr. Laufer @ C&A-- it only took 3 days;) I responded back with the following:

Mr. Laufer, Mr. Fain, & Mr. Goldstein,

With all respect, the form letter you are returning to all customers is, I believe, insulting.

You noted "You are a valued Diamond member". I, along with many other's as I'm sure you've received thousands of complaints, just don't feel that way right now. If we were valued, you would reconsider and halt this flawed position RCCL has taken.

I too work in the Customer Service industry for a major American company. I am shocked at how RCCL is treating their most loyal customers. To that extent, my company too has made some major changes due to the economy. Of those chages, one of the most significant was to change how we, as employees are rewarded with our Thrift Savings Plans (TSP). Our reward (company contribution) was based on stock performance until 2009. Effective this year, it is based solely on CUSTOMER LOYALTY INDEX. That's right, treatment and retention of our existing customers, as they are our best and most reliable customers, which manifests itself into our best advertisement-- word of mouth. I would think that a company like RCCL experiences similar results and knows the value of the happy (repeat) customer vs. the unhappy customer.

Respectfully,

Jay Lowery

Having had several days to reflect on the changes for Diamond members, my biggest concern is that if and when I reach Diamond Plus that the EXACT same austerity measures will once again rob from us what we had come to enjoy.

I've given it a lot of thought as to why the Diamond Plus members were allowed to stay in the Concierge Lounge and from a business perspective it makes perfect sense. By keeping the Diamond Plus in the lounge you give the Diamond members a reason to keep cruising with Royal. With the reward being eventual access to the Concierge Lounge. Had Diamond Plus members also been banned this would not be the case. In other words there would be nothing to shoot for and no reason to be a repeat cruiser. Therefore, I doubt Diamond Plus will be kicked out. What I do think is a strong possibility is that the amount of cruises needed to attain Diamond and Diamond Plus will be increased. I feel that will be part 2 of these major changes to Crown & Anchor.

I have read differing opinions on this site about RCI changes. Many feel as I do. I am a Diamond member who has spent thousands with RCI (literally only booking my vacations with them for years) to obtain Diamond status. I did it for the perk of the concierge lounge, which I have now only used once before it is taken away. I also bought stock (and have lost money like everyone else) for the benefit of an onboard credit. All of this is now taken away. I feel that RCI had a responsbility to allow VESTED Diamond members and shareholders to keep benefits. If the rules need to change, they should be limited to those who buy stock or become Diamond after the change date. (I understand that you may not agree, but if you do, please read on...)

I am writing to every person I can think of at RCI. I hope you will join me. RCI must have some regard for Cruise Critic members, as they have an onboard social event for us. Maybe this will do no good, but if enough of us complain, who knows. Here is who I am writing:

crownandanchor@rccl.com

Corporate Guest Relations

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

Vicki Freed

Senior VP Sales (who heads the C and A program)

RCI

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

Adam M. Goldstein

President and CEO

RCI

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

Richard D. Fain

Chairman and CEO

RCI

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

Lisa Bauer

Senior VP of Hotel Operations

RCI

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami, FL 33132

investorrelations@rccl.com

This may sound petty but I was saying to watch out for this kind of stuff. When? When they put the surcharge on Johnny Rockets. That was the beginning of things going the "other way".

Now.....when I hear the new Ad pitch that says' " the nation of Why Not?' You'll hear me say "I'll tell you why not.......... and I list all the little things that are now adding up to be a lot.

i used your's as a beginning and added a few comments of my own.. Hopefully a grandfather clause will be added for those already Diamond. If it can not be afforded then as you say, close em down. Put a setup in suites for those that book them like Other cruise lines. You know I feel cheated because some cruisers have gotten credits for 3/4 day cruises to get their status; i did all 7 nite or longer for each credit earned. 11 nites to Hawaii didn't get but one. I thought this was going to nites and not cruises to equalize. what happened? what a mess, glad i don't have to handle this public relations boondoggle.. LOLOLOLolllllllllllll......

I agree that "status" should be based on days sailed and not number of cruises. This is Celebrity policy and MSC and may be others as well. 50 3 day cruises should receive no more perks than 22 7 day cruises. As a stockholder it is reasonable to treat suite passengers better than inside cabin passingers reguardless of number of 3 day cruises sailed.

Buy your own glass of wine with the money saved on not booking a suite and you will still be way ahead in the pocketbook. If still too cheap sneak your own on board.:)

I agree that "status" should be based on days sailed and not number of cruises. This is Celebrity policy and MSC and may be others as well. 50 3 day cruises should receive no more perks than 22 7 day cruises. As a stockholder it is reasonable to treat suite passengers better than inside cabin passingers reguardless of number of 3 day cruises sailed.

Buy your own glass of wine with the money saved on not booking a suite and you will still be way ahead in the pocketbook. If still too cheap sneak your own on board.:)

ROYAL created the program and established the rules. If people took advantage of these rules by sailing on many 3 or 4 night cruises to attain their Diamond or Diamond Plus status, why should they be criticized? The blame squarely falls on Royal. Royal allowed this program to get out of hand by not having the courage to change it sooner. The longer they waited the worse it became as more and more frequent cruisers became affected by these drastic changes. While I agree something had to be done and Royal has every right to change the program as they see fit, I still feel Royal handled the entire situation poorly. Many other changes could have been made before the ultimate one. And we're Diamond Plus therefore not affected by the change.

Here is the loophole solution your problem. Since both you and DH are D+ switch the booking to put DH & DS in one cabin and you an DDIL in the other. Then all will have access to CL. All this is on paper and you can get seapass cards for the proper rooms without any problems. Unless of course cabinmates cannot use if they don't qualify on their own (haven't seen that yet).

We just did a B2B on Serenade and you will love the ship for Alaska (we did Alaska on Radiance. Ken should be the Conceirge and if he is he will take great care of you. The evening lounge was in Odyssey. If there are enough they will move it to the Vortex. The CL just isn't large enough to accomodate suite quest must less D+ so it only makes sense to move happy hour up to the lounge.

And this is one of the reasons that RCI made these changes; to stop these types of shenanigans:eek:

ROYAL created the program and established the rules. If people took advantage of these rules by sailing on many 3 or 4 night cruises to attain their Diamond or Diamond Plus status, why should they be criticized? The blame squarely falls on Royal. Royal allowed this program to get out of hand by not having the courage to change it sooner. The longer they waited the worse it became as more and more frequent cruisers became affected by these drastic changes. While I agree something had to be done and Royal has every right to change the program as they see fit, I still feel Royal handled the entire situation poorly. Many other changes could have been made before the ultimate one. And we're Diamond Plus therefore not affected by the change.

No matter what the change or when there would have been the same level of noise.:( After 35 cruises, I choose the line based on the ports and cost of a verandah or suite. The line with the best perk is Carnival with free laundry for highest level member. MSC just give discounts but once again this is not why I choose MSC.

I own RCCL and Carnival stock and I am betting one of the two will prosper in the future. :)

I've given it a lot of thought as to why the Diamond Plus members were allowed to stay in the Concierge Lounge and from a business perspective it makes perfect sense. By keeping the Diamond Plus in the lounge you give the Diamond members a reason to keep cruising with Royal. With the reward being eventual access to the Concierge Lounge. Had Diamond Plus members also been banned this would not be the case. In other words there would be nothing to shoot for and no reason to be a repeat cruiser. Therefore, I doubt Diamond Plus will be kicked out. What I do think is a strong possibility is that the amount of cruises needed to attain Diamond and Diamond Plus will be increased. I feel that will be part 2 of these major changes to Crown & Anchor.

I am a Diamond member, trying to reach Diamond + this year(I, too, had heard rumors of changes coming and decided to attain Diamond + status asap.) Hopefully, I am allowed enough time to do this before they increase the amount of cruises past 24. I'm at 18, and was planning six cruises by the end of July this year(just returned from b2b on Navigator). I also thought RCI would increase the amount before the end of the year. To me it was shocking to announce the changes to begin in the middle of the year. We have about the same amount of cruises on Celebrity(wish they would combine them!)

On the first cruise of our Navigator b2b cruises, we were given a CL key card for "THE CL". Then, for the second cruise, we were also give the key card, with an accompanied letter stating we were allowed into the CL for all times except 5 PM - 8:30 PM (due to the large amount of Diamond members on the second cruise). They set up a "special cl for Diamond members in the card playing room, which was so crowded the first night, we backed out right after entering. The following nights, they opened up the game room also. There were appetizers and drinks, but no one was checking to make sure only Diamond members were being served. The bartender in the CL said they open up other lounges if there were between 100-150 diamond members on a cruise.

As for keeping Diamond + passengers in the CL, maybe it's also to have them talk up the RCI cruiseline to the big money suite guests that may be first time cruisers. LOL

Here is the loophole solution your problem. Since both you and DH are D+ switch the booking to put DH & DS in one cabin and you an DDIL in the other. Then all will have access to CL. All this is on paper and you can get seapass cards for the proper rooms without any problems. Unless of course cabinmates cannot use if they don't qualify on their own (haven't seen that yet).

We just did a B2B on Serenade and you will love the ship for Alaska (we did Alaska on Radiance. Ken should be the Conceirge and if he is he will take great care of you. The evening lounge was in Odyssey. If there are enough they will move it to the Vortex. The CL just isn't large enough to accomodate suite quest must less D+ so it only makes sense to move happy hour up to the lounge.

Hi Mike...Thanks for the suggestion, we might try it.

Helen

Hi Anthony...Couldn't agree with you more! Royal made the mistake in using cruise credits instead of, say, days cruising, and opened a can of worms.. Those who did 3 and 4 day cruises abided by the rules, and were lucky to live within a home port area where one could take those short cruises--I envied them. I wish we had been one of them! Living in the Seattle area, it was a long flight to anywhere!

Helen

Hi Anthony...Couldn't agree with you more! Royal made the mistake in using cruise credits instead of, say, days cruising, and opened a can of worms.. Those who did 3 and 4 day cruises abided by the rules, and were lucky to live within a home port area where one could take those short cruises--I envied them. I wish we had been one of them! Living in the Seattle area, it was a long flight to anywhere!

Helen

Hi Helen. I know if I lived within driving distance of Miami or Port Canaveral I'd be cruising every other weekend. So who am I to criticize those who played by Royal's rules and attained their loyalty status with weekend cruises?

Hi Helen. I know if I lived within driving distance of Miami or Port Canaveral I'd be cruising every other weekend. So who am I to criticize those who played by Royal's rules and attained their loyalty status with weekend cruises?

We are fortunate to live within driving distance of all the Florida ports, PC is just 20 minutes away. We find the 3 day RCCL Bahama trips that leave on Friday and return early enough Monday morning (to get to work if need be) a great weekend getaway. A 2 night stay at any decent Disney hotel (even with the seasonal pass for gate entry) plus the food costs a lot more than an inside room for 2. Take what we did in Feb: 3 nights Bahamas on Monarch = $462 plus a $130 SeaPass bill for a total of $490/3 nights. 2 nights at the Swan (our fav. hotel on Disney property although owned by Starwood)=$470 room charge/tax plus $28 resort fee plus $18 parking fee (yes, they charge you to park on hotel property....) that's $516/2 nights no food...dinner was approx. $210, lunches approx $90 for a total of $816/2 nights. Needless to say this doesn't include drinking beer in the Rose and Crown at $8/pint.....This is why so many of us who live close to port do this for our "weekend getaways". The value is incredible, getting cruise credits is the last thing we think about.

Lynda

Mind if I jump on the bandwagon?? I'm only Platinum and needed 3 more cruises to obtain Diamond and get that coveted key to the lounge. I have the same amount of cruises on Carnival and need 3 more to achieve Platinum on that carrier. I had no intentions on booking with Carnival until I completed my quest to achieve Diamond on Royal...THEN I got the email....I'm jumpin ship!

I'll be 80 years old before I reach Diamond Plus on Royal...Think I'll plan 3 more on Carnival!! Free Drycleaning!! LOL!!

Got my "canned letter" in response to my e-mail to C and A -- here is my reply I sent back:

I realize that this is the same "canned" response you are giving to all Diamond members who are upset at your poor business decision. It is an insult to care so little about loyal customers so as to send a canned reply -- especially when we took the time to offer RCI suggestions. You could have taken the time to actually listen to and respond to my letter.

It is apparent that RCI is very misguided these days, working towards an inferior product. I am sorry that after all these years, my favorite cruise line is nickling and diming cruisers to death and losing so many clients to cheaper, better lines. I sincerely hope RCI considers a solution to all your disgruntled Diamond members, instead of insulting us by acting as though we are getting something from RCI in return for taking the Concierge from us. (As an example, we have always had a Diamond event with drinks and appetizers - you are not suddenly giving this to me!) I offer the following solutions:

Grandfathering in Diamonds who reach that level by July 1, 2009

Offering more limited bar service (such as just wine and beer)

Offering the option for Diamonds to purchase access to the club - such as a yearly fee or $5.00 pp per cruise day.

Expanding the club to a different locale onboard to address overcrowding

Better security to insure only members who have earned the privilege use the club.

I would love an actual response, not a canned letter. However, these days I and others don't expect much from RCI. Thank you.

I copied it to agoldstein@rccl.com

I still believe that if we continue our efforts RCI may listen. Thanks for joining in.

We have done short, long and b2b cruises.....much prefer longer ones. We live over 1000 miles from Ft. Lauderdale, Miami and/or Bayonne, but have driven several time to each of those ports and to Port Canaveral and Galveston. If we had been just trying to make Diamond +, we would have cruised much differently. We really enjoy the ports and all aspects of cruising, but we try to find the best deal for our time off going to ports we want to visit. The closest port for us is cruising the Mississippi River..........no thanks, yet!

I am cruising out of Bayonne April 5th this would be my 9th RCCL cruise and I was going to book on board so I could have 10 cruises and become a diamond member - but the prices are better on other cruise lines and I feel that there is no incentive for me to book on Royal anymore - so after this cruise it is bye bye RCCL.

I am not seeing any official report that stockholders no longer get their OBC. If you could included an official link would be appreciated.

I think facts need to be acurate before sending it in. Not saying it is not, just questioning the validity of the statement.

Technically the OBC has not been taken away. Prior to I believe December 1 of last year you could combine on board booking credit, stockholder credit, and platinum/diamond/diamond+ credit. My wife and I booked a cruise on Brialliance of the Seas for January 2009 while on a cruise on Radiance of the Seas in March of 2008. We got $200 booking credit + $100 shareholder credit. It was an inside room so no platinum credit. Now if we booked on board we would have to choose which ever was highest rather than be able to combine them all. This means that if we make a first cruise on any other cruise line, we will get about the same credit even though we are not repeat customers to them.

Lawgirl,

My DH received his email response last evening and of course,

it was the same "canned" response.

Yesterday morning I wrote all the letters and mailed them. Again

I'm not really expecting a response but it actually made me feel

better.

I would love to know how many cruises have been cancelled since

Friday evening. How many $$ lost to another cruise line.

I'm holding on to my 3-day Monarch because it was at such a

good rate ( a real fluke) that by keeping it I'm not doing RCCL

any favors.

Carol

I totally agree with lawgirl and all the other people who are upset about loss of RC Benefits. I have emailed RC but have not heard anything back yet. RC is losing the respect and will eventually lose the business of their faithful cruisers.

Whereas under the proposed system I could book a suite on Monarch for 3 days and get the benefits denied to someone who has sailed (and spent lots of $$$) for 70 days+

I don't have a problem rewarding somebody who sails in a suite, no matter the length of the cruise, for what they're doing for the bottom line on that cruise ("What Have You Done for Me Lately?" is passing through my head). A full suite on Monarch (when she was in LA, anyway) on a 3-nighter is usually more expensive than 7 nights in an inside cabin. Plus people party more on the long weekends, so I'll bet the onboard revenue is quite a bit higher.

Then again, on those ships without the CL, the suite benefits are confined to a bottle of wine and water in the cabin and priority boarding/tendering/disembarkation, plus some treats in the cabin along the way.

I think we'll be kicked out eventually, the next time overcrowding becomes severe. I think that RCCL (the parent company, not RCI, the line) wants the more experienced cruisers to move "up" to Celebrity or Azamara. Although WHY is a question, since whenever I've compared the prices on those lines to RCI's, they're less expensive. Maybe they're trying to suck me in....:eek:

Celebrity rewards you based on number of cruise credits, not days at sea. Sailing in CC or higher gets you another credit, and a 12-night or longer cruise or cruisetour gets you one more, for a maximum of 3 credits. Unless they changed it this year...

Archived