Balcony Question

floridacruzin

Hi

Other than liking threads about Oranges, I am a paranoid mom. We have done 3 previous cruises, all oceanview.

I am considering upgrading to a balcony, but I am a little apprehensive as we will have my 7yo with us. He has quite the bunch of energy. We watch him well , but I have visons of him standing on one of the chairs and going over the railing.

Just want some feedback from other parents who have had balcony rooms with younger children.....

Happy Sunday

Hi

Other than liking threads about Oranges, I am a paranoid mom. We have done 3 previous cruises, all oceanview.

I am considering upgrading to a balcony, but I am a little apprehensive as we will have my 7yo with us. He has quite the bunch of energy. We watch him well , but I have visons of him standing on one of the chairs and going over the railing.

Just want some feedback from other parents who have had balcony rooms with younger children.....

Happy Sunday

Our son has been cruising with us since he was 10 months old. We have had a balcony on every one. We never let him go out on the balcony without us. We also keep the balcony door locked when we are inside the cabin. The last cruise, our son was almost 5. He knows not to climb up on the railing to "have a look". Also, Carnival's balcony panels are glass, which makes it easy for kids to see out without climbing up on the railing. At 7 years old, your child should be able to grasp the concept of " go over railing-- no come back". Make this very clear to him and you probably won't have a problem. Just in case, however, I would not let him on the balcony unattended. As long as you use common sense and keep a watchful eye, you'll have the same safe, wonderful cruise you always have.:) Happy cruising. Bill.

Hi

Happy Sunday

I have a place in Jupiter, fyi...and my brother lives in Old Marsh...

Anyway, I wouldn't get the balcony yet. I'm sure that it's safe, and I'm sure you can keep him locked out (or in)....maybe bring some barbed-wire to wrap around the railing if you choose to get it;)

Anyway, I wouldn't get the balcony yet. I'm sure that it's safe, and I'm sure you can keep him locked out (or in)....maybe bring some barbed-wire to wrap around the railing if you choose to get it;)[/quote

We live West in Wellington. Jupiter is VERY nice.....Weather is a little yucky today

I am thinking for peace of mind to leave my room as is.....maybe next year.....

Anyway, I wouldn't get the balcony yet. I'm sure that it's safe, and I'm sure you can keep him locked out (or in)....maybe bring some barbed-wire to wrap around the railing if you choose to get it;)[/quote

We live West in Wellington. Jupiter is VERY nice.....Weather is a little yucky today

I am thinking for peace of mind to leave my room as is.....maybe next year.....

Raining here in CT today as well....

I think that's a gouda moove....that whey ewe can just relax and enjoy your cruise. One less thing to worry about...orange you glad that you asked?

This would be very difficult to do. Not impossible but difficult.

There is also a lock going out to the balcony that is high up on the door.

This photo taken on Victory balcony 6431 may help you...

Balcony-074.jpg

I did a fair bit of deliberate leaning-over to get certain shots(not this one)

so I have a feeling for how high it is.

I just put my Lufkin tape up against my chest, to about where I remember the top-rail being..

and it would seem to be on the order of 46-48 inches from the deck

shots like this...

Balcony-092.jpg

Balcony-074.jpg

I just put my Lufkin tape up against my chest, to about where I remember the top-rail being..

shots like this...

Balcony-092.jpg

That is soo beautiful but I just got a panic attack. OP, get the OV!!

Cabins are such a small space i think its pretty safe cause its not like he could sneak out there. Unless you were in the bathroom and no one else was in the cabin.

I agree i think at that age he can look out and understand the concept if he get up there and falls over he is shark food and thats all she wrote.

I think as long as you have a good talk and make sure he is clear he isnt to open that door without you and he isnt to do anything more then stand or sit only with you on that balcony all would be fine.

Besides its never kids that fall overboard they know better, its always the drunks.

Cabins are such a small space i think its pretty safe cause its not like he could sneak out there. Unless you were in the bathroom and no one else was in the cabin.

I agree i think at that age he can look out and understand the concept if he get up there and falls over he is shark food and thats all she wrote.

I think as long as you have a good talk and make sure he is clear he isnt to open that door without you and he isnt to do anything more then stand or sit only with you on that balcony all would be fine.

Besides its never kids that fall overboard they know better, its always the drunks.

All would be fine? Unless she was in the bathroom and no one else was in the cabin?.....and if he became shark food and that's all she wrote?!

Too funny:D SUP

All would be fine? Unless she was in the bathroom and no one else was in the cabin?.....and if he became shark food and that's all she wrote?!

Too funny:D SUP

Shark food AHHH He already thinks that if he goes into any body of water he will be eaten by Alligators. I had to make sure he did not wander into a FL lake, canal,pool..etc

I am sure he would be fine..but...he is a curious boy..and I am an overprotective mom

Balcony-074.jpg

shots like this...

Balcony-092.jpg

Thank you for the pics..gives me a good idea..those chairs worry me :p

I really think it depends on the child - the first time we cruised our son was 6 (almost 6 1/2) and we had a balcony - I honestly did not even consider the fact that he would 'climb' up or fall over. The railing is pretty high for a small child - but we were very clear with him about no climbing or standing on ANYTHING outside - of course we never let him alone out there either - but he LOVED the balcony. Esp every morning when we would have breakfast out there. He is basically a very obedient child and I knew he was not the adventurous type who would try to get a 'better view'!

P.S. We also made him 'rest' during the day in the cabin so he could stay up later and enjoy the shows and entertainment or kid's club - and the balcony was great for the 'parent' who could sit outside and enjoy the view/good book/coffee etc while supervising the child!

Hi

Happy Sunday

This will be our first cruise with our 8 year old and I was a little nervous about the balcony as well, so we've told her she can't go out on the balcony without mom or dad.

i would not worry, the door has a pinlock which is hard to get undone. plus, you can buy one of those alarms that hand on the door nob. when someone touches it, it goes off. plus, the other posters mentioned that the bacony is a glass wall which means he does not have to look over to see the water. you should be fine.

I don't really think you can go by age, alot has to do with the child. Our son has been on the balcony each time since he was 6. The doors going out there are pretty heavy. There's a lock on the door which I'm sure is higher then he'll be able to reach. Most importantly just don't allow him out there by himself which I'm sure you already realize. THere's nothing like a balcony, we don't cruise without one :) But only YOU know your child and how well he listens/not listens, lol

Good luck

Archived