Preventing Digital SLR from Getting Wet?

mtnhappy

I have a small drybag that I put camera and lenses into when traveling on boats where it might fall into the water. On land - if it is raining, I keep it in my backpack and bring a small towel to wipe water off. If it is raining so hard that I am in fear of my camera being damaged, the shots I get are probably not going to be very good anyway, so I just don't use it.

Ritz sells a protective plastic bag that you can put your hand into to press buttons and change settings, and which covers the entire camera and lenses, and it is about $5.00.

I would be more concerned about the cold, and condensation from rewarming. I keep my D40 under my coat for body warmth and only take it out long enough to shoot (not long enough to get cold), then right back in.

On our cruise last year, we had one day of rain. It was the day we went to Mendenhall Glacier. I wore one of those plastic rain ponchos and kept the camera underneath that. When I went to take a picture, I kept the plastic around the camera. I may have looked pretty funny but it worked.

That's what I have. Couldn't remember the name, but that's it, and not overly expensive.

Along with the rain bag, also take a small roll of tape. If you find the draw string closer is not working, then tape it to the Sun Shade to hold it in place.

Yes I know, really high tech, training classes can be provided.:D

Bob

Could not find the original thread I read, but found two other one.

As I still have not figured out how to paste the thread links here, so please see below for the thread details. Both are from the Alaska Board.

1)

What type of protection from rain,etc. for digital slr?

newbie2468</SPAN>

Last post: May 10th, 2007 12:05 AM

2)

Can you "waterproof" a digital camera?

cruisecookie

Last post: July 20th, 2007 08:14 AM

Cheers.

Archived