That Epic Packing Thread....

maxamuus

This is what I recommend.

Pack your Luggage and then remove 1/2 of it.

Weigh your Luggage, ensure its not over 50 LBS if you are taking a Flight.

Always buy your Shampoo and Conditioner products once you get to your destination to conserve on Weight and also wear and tear on yourself.

For those that are more organized read on:

Write down on a piece of paper the items you wore during the cruise so that on your next cruise you can take that same amount of clothing with you and nothing more.

You can get pretty fancy at this by using a spread sheet etc. Its up to you. The more items you don't wear the more you get to cross out from your list.

By the 3rd cruise all you will need is a pair of underware and you are set.

Fred

Fred

Exactly!!!! I over-packed my first 2 cruises and now due to the airlines charging for checked luggage, I'm intent on packing as little as I can. :D (except for the 7 pairs of shoes!)

Weigh your Luggage, ensure its not over 50 LBS if you are taking a Flight.

Always buy your Shampoo and Conditioner products once you get to your destination to conserve on Weight and also wear and tear on yourself.

For those that are more organized read on:

Write down on a piece of paper the items you wore during the cruise so that on your next cruise you can take that same amount of clothing with you and nothing more.

You can get pretty fancy at this by using a spread sheet etc. Its up to you. The more items you don't wear the more you get to cross out from your list.

By the 3rd cruise all you will need is a pair of underware and you are set.

Fred

Fred, thats a great idea. Thanks

Here is a list of items that I put together and packed on our first cruise. My husband made fun of me until he needed a button sewn back on his shirt. Believe it or not, I honestly found a use for just about everything on the list (I even had fellow cruisers borrow duct tape and super glue).

It may all look a little overwhelming but it's really not....I only took 2 suitcases and they were nowhere close to 50 lbs. I had plenty of room for our souveniers.

Good luck and I hope you have as much fun on your first cruise as we did.

Travel Documents, Purse/Wallet Items, and Paperwork

· cruise documents & passports or proof of citizenship (birth certificate-with raised seal and driver’s license)

· medical insurance cards

· ATM & Credit card - be sure to call credit card company before traveling to alert them you are traveling outside your normal area

· cash or traveler's checks (be sure to keep traveler's checks receipt in separate location)

· 3 copies of cruise tickets, passports, and itinerary - pack 1 copy in carry on, 1 copy in checked luggage, and leave one copy with someone at home.

· contact numbers to report lost/stolen credit card or traveler's checks

Reading Material and Necessities

· glasses, contacts, contact cleaner

· sunglasses

· guidebooks and other port of call information

· maps

· reading material – books and/or magazines to read while lounging by the pool/beach

Electronics and Camera Equipment

· cell phone and charger

· digital camera and memory card & batteries for digital camera

· disposable camera & underwater camera with flash - beach days & cave tubing

· extension cord/power strip with multiple plug-ins

· iPod for walking on deck track/treadmill or while relaxing at pool/beach

· small travel alarm clock - battery operated

· two-way walkie-talkies (took but we didn't use)

Medicine Kit

· prescription/medications/vitamins in carryon bag

· ear plugs

· small first aid kit (band aids, Vaseline, Dramamine, antibiotic cream, anti-diarrheal medication, cortisone cream, eye drops, aspirin/Tylenol/Advil)

· hand sanitizer & handi-wipes

· moisturizer (hand & body)

· bug spray (not for your cabin on the ship, but for those pesky mosquitoes ashore)

· tanning lotion, waterproof sun screen/sun block &/or sunburn cream

Other "Necessities"

· duct tape & super glue

· extra plastic cable-lock ties for securing luggage for return trip (better than locks, but one-time use only)

· zip loc bags of all sizes and garbage/laundry bag

· small umbrella

· playing cards

· sewing kit & scissors

· extra hangers & clothes pins (hang wet bathing suits to dry)

· beach bag/backpack to carry camera, bug spray, change of clothes, and water shoes on excursion

· beach towel (one for each person)

· binoculars

· small flashlight

· highlighter for highlighting the things you may want to do on the ship’s daily newsletter

· bottled water &/or can sodas can be packed or brought on board

· go to www.rumrunnerflasks.com (if you want to smuggle alcohol in your suitcase - works perfectly!)

Women's Cruise Clothing Packing List

· panties, socks & bras (include strapless if needed)

· lingerie/night shirt/pajamas

· belts

· walking shoes, sandals, flip flops, and other shoes you may need

· water shoes

· costume jewelry and watch

· swim suits & cover-up/sarong

· work-out clothes (if you plan to)

· outfit/dress for nights on ship

· shorts, capri’s, pants &/or jeans

· tops of all types (sleeveless, short-sleeved, t-shirts, etc)

· light jacket and/or sweater (for cool nights)

· sweatshirt

Men's Cruise Clothing Packing List

· underwear, undershirts, & socks

· lounge around pants or sleepwear (if needed)

· walking shoes, sandals, flip flops, and other shoes you may need

· water shoes

· belts

· dress shirt (polo, button down, etc) and pants (khaki’s, jeans, nice shorts ) for nights on ship

· shorts, pants &/or jeans

· casual shirts of all types (sleeveless, short-sleeved, t-shirts, polo, button-up, etc)

· swim trunks & t-shirt

· work- out clothes (if you plan to)

· light jacket &/or sweatshirt (for cool nights)

· sweatshirt

Toiletries

· curling iron, ponytail holders, barrettes, etc (if needed)

· hair brush/comb

· shampoo, conditioner, and styling products (gel, spray, etc)

· bath soap & hand soap

· deodorant, perfume, & cologne

· toothbrush, toothpaste, dental floss, & mouthwash

· nail clippers, nail file & tweezers

· make-up, make-up remover, & moisturizer

· nail polish and remover

· razor and shaving cream

· feminine hygiene products (if needed)

· Q-tips & cotton balls

· ChapStick

· baby/bath powder

· Plastic door hanging shoe holder (great for organizing bathroom toiletries in small bathroom)

**Each person is allowed up to 200 lbs of luggage; however, each suitcase can only weigh 50 lbs max.

** Unlike a hotel where people check in on varying days and at varying times, folks check in to a cruise ship all together. A ship receives thousands of pieces of luggage in a matter of a few hours, which means your bags may not arrive in your stateroom until a few hours after you've boarded. Therefore, carry-ons are key. Pack everything needed to get you and your family through dinner time -- bathing suits, cameras, medications, sandals, sunscreen, a change of clothes and toiletries to get you through a day.

My packing list has also considerably narrowed since I started cruising.

I leave all the post its, shoe organizers, and plethora of highlighters and such at home.

Passports

Cruise docs

Airline info/itineraries

Excursion confirmations

Credit card/s

Make up

Hair products

Insect repellant

Extension cord

Contacts/solutions

Razor/shaving cream

Sunscreen

Anti-diuretic pills

Pepto pills

Bonine

Ginger pills

Immodium pills

Bandaids

Neosporin

Ibuprofen

Snorkel gear

Migraine pills

Camera

Travel alarm clock

Cell phone + charger

Battery charger

Extra batteries (AAA and camera batts)

Waterproof camera x2

Lanyards

Card for room safe

Insulated cups

Sunglasses (Rx and not Rx)

Brush

Toothbrushes & pastes

Water shoes

Extra pairs of glasses S/J

ipod charger

I also pack less clothing than I started with...taking into account I usually buy a few tshirts while on the trip and spend most of the day on sea days in my swimsuit and cover up.

This time I'm packing for 4 instead of 2, and still plan on getting everything into 2 suitcases and a rolling garment bag, along with a carry on each.

We have discovered to pack mix and match seperates. Never do we pack 'outfits'.

I want to do a "shout out" to my mom who packed in a rolling backpack for our last 3 day cruise. Her luggage weighed 13 pounds.:eek: She still had not worn everything she brought. We ate in the dining room every night.

One of the "tricks" I use to cut down on the number of shirts I wear is to pack light cotton shirts (not T-shirts) to change into for dinner in the dining room. Then, I wear the same shirt the next day while I'm out playing on the ship or in port. That way, I only need 1 shirt per day instead of 2 (one for play and one for dinner).

We have discovered to pack mix and match seperates. Never do we pack 'outfits'.

I want to do a "shout out" to my mom who packed in a rolling backpack for our last 3 day cruise. Her luggage weighed 13 pounds.:eek: She still had not worn everything she brought. We ate in the dining room every night.

and, even with small souvenirs, I still had room for more.:D

The Packing lists I've seen are just endless. For me bringing all those items is just too much. If I needed all the items on those lists I should probably stay home. First cruise I brought everything but the kitchen sink. Second cruise, pretty much the same thing. I brought so many things "just in case". For my 9th cruise this coming November I've pared way down to just the necessities. Very few clothes since you never get to wear all the items you bring anyway. I don't do formal night anymore, (or elegant night as it is now called), been there done that, it was fun but I'm over it. The "must haves" for me are a surge protector, small fan (I need the air flow and ambient noise to fall asleep) since I find the Carribean way too humid to leave the cabin door open, my laptop which I use to download digital pictures and produce slide shows, not to access the internet (another thing I stopped doing after my second cruise) and a handheld scale for the luggage. I try to keep my suitcase at 40 pounds just in case I make any purchases while in port.

Now that the airlines are charging for even the first bag in some instances, it's just not worth it to bring so stuff. Traveling light just feels so much better. I'm older and wiser now...I just want to enjoy my vacation without any added stress. If I find I really need something I didn't bring with me, I just buy it.

Ok its almost time for me to start packing. I want to hear from all your all hardened cruise junkies. What is the couple items that you pack that all the cruise newbies didnt pack and wish they had.

I usually try to keep my checked luggage at 30 lbs or less, since my last few cruises I've brought back 20 lbs worth of booze :D Packing light is definitely the name of the game.

There are hangers in the closet. Not a lot of them tho, but enough. I imagine if you asked for more the steward would bring more.

Thank you Max! Good to know and now I can pack accordingly. Which at this moment, I'm not sure what that will be. But thanks a bunch!

Archived