New to Princess, New to Cruising, and Alaska

panda24

I'm going with my parents to Alaska on the Golden (round trip from Seattle) in June. Any secrets or suggestions about excusions or the ship, over all info for new cruisers, or any other do's/don't would be greatly appreciated.

I can't think of a nicer first cruise than a Princess cruise to Alaska! Princess is great, and so is Alaska. You should check out the Alaska board if you haven't already.

Everybody will probably tell you to go on the White Pass Railroad in Skagway, and I'd agree with that. In Juneau, if you want a nice day and would like to do it inexpensively, there're local buses right near the pier that you can catch to go up to Mendenhall Glacier. There's a nice visitors' center up there and lots to see. We're not shoppers, but in Ketchikan I always like to go into the Tongass Trading Company store that's at the pier. They've got really nice, good quality teeshirts there with Alaska themes.

I second the recommendation to spend some time on the Alaska boards, there is a lot of helpful information already there.

Also, join your roll call.

If you make a port stop at Victoria, I really recommend Butchard Gardens - they are magnificent yet very easily done in a few hours. For whale watching, Auke Bay in Juneau is great. If you can sneak in the Lumberjack Show in Ketchikan, do so. It is corny but very entertaining. Even our teens loved it!

Have a fantastic time!!:D

I'm going with my parents to Alaska on the Golden (round trip from Seattle) in June. Any secrets or suggestions about excusions or the ship, over all info for new cruisers, or any other do's/don't would be greatly appreciated.

Check out the threads on clothing. We live in the desert and now desperately shopping for warm clothes for our August cruise

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. Another newbie question. I was looking at binoculars to buy for the great viewing....do you recommend any brand. I also saw a review on the binocular reviews that their cruise line offered binoculars. Does Princess have them available or would it be better to take my own set?

Great question - binoculars were a "must" on our cruise - I can't recommend an optic type, but would definitely recommend you bring your own. I don't think Princess provides them (never saw them, anyway)...

Alaska was my first cruise with Princess, on the Diamond, and my first cruise in almost 20 years. Thats the one that got me hooked on Princess! :D

The White Pass Mountain Railroad is great as another poster said. Princess has an excursion into the Yukon where you take the bus out and the railroad back. It gives you two different perspectives and I would highly recommend it. Make sure you bring layers to dress in so you can take layers on and off depending on the weather. Alaskan weather varies from cold and drizzly to warm (in the 70s for them is warm!) and sunny, so you need to be ready for just about anything. Make sure you bring something to wear in case it does rain, you'll be glad you did :)

You will have a great time - enjoy!

Check out the Alaska Boards, as other have said. My advice would be to book one of the private whale watching tours in Jueanu and try to take the tram up the mountain (by the ship). Check out Chilkoot or Shoretrips.com for excursions in Skagway. If you are a dog lover, go to Caraboo Crossing to see the sled dogs and the pups. Keep an extra set of camera batteries with you and keep them warm. One other thing, don't miss the naturalist's lectures. They are very good. Binoculars are optional IMHO.

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. Another newbie question. I was looking at binoculars to buy for the great viewing....do you recommend any brand. I also saw a review on the binocular reviews that their cruise line offered binoculars. Does Princess have them available or would it be better to take my own set?

Only certain cabin class has binoculars and their quality is mediocre at best. Should bring your own. Make sure it is waterproof with 8x to 10x power. I like 42mm size. For Alaska trip, it is a must if wildlife viewing is priority. There are few threads that you read.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=875943

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=578690

Archived