Best cabin for four people

strawhat

we are thinking about booking an Alaska cruise but have a few questions...my wife and i last cruised to Alaska three years ago on celebrity but think NCL (Pearl - July 5th) might be better with the kids (15 and 9). What kind of cabin should we be looking for to accommodate the four of us where we can all have some sort of space without breaking the bank? I am using AMEX points for some of this cruise so we will see a significant break in the price. AMEX has tentatively booked us a "balcony suite" (Category BC) but it seems kind of small for four people. Are there other options?

Also, we enjoyed all of our excursions last time and want the kids to experience many of the same things we did. I recently read about a Bering Sea Adventure that someone raved about. The kids love "Deadliest Catch," is this something we should look into and what, exactly is it?

Sorry for the newbie questions...we really need to get away and want to make sure this is the right choice. Thanks in advance for any and all replies...

I think I would go with at least a mini-suite (AG/AF). The BC is a regular balcony cabin. The mini-suite will be slightly larger with more storage space and a larger bathroom that has a tub/shower instead of just a shower.

Your other options are two adjoining cabins (or a balcony and an interior across the hall) or the AB suite that has a separate children's bedroom.

One of the members of our roll call on the Jade was in an aft mini-suite two doors from us. It was one of the handicapped-capable cabins, and though I think the total area of the cabin was the same as ours, it was laid out differently (for wheel chair-access), which seemed to make it more accomodating for a larger crowd.

Your other options are a suite or a balcony cabin and an inside cabin across the hall, as I think was already mentioned. Or just cram in together and get real cozy . . . and spend every waking moment outside your cabin.

One of the members of our roll call on the Jade was in an aft mini-suite two doors from us. It was one of the handicapped-capable cabins, and though I think the total area of the cabin was the same as ours, it was laid out differently (for wheel chair-access), which seemed to make it more accomodating for a larger crowd.

Your other options are a suite or a balcony cabin and an inside cabin across the hall, as I think was already mentioned. Or just cram in together and get real cozy . . . and spend every waking moment outside your cabin.

For Heaven sake PLEASE don't recommend someone book an HC cabin for the ROOM.

There are less than 1% HC cabins on any ship we don't need able bodied people booking them because they want extra room, Having 4 people is NOT a disablity.

Hopefully the OP has more sense than that.

Jeez, lighten up. None of the Jade aft HC mini-suites were requested by handicapped customers on our cruise. Why should they remain empty? My next-door neighbor said that NCL told him when he booked the cabin that if NCL needed it for a handicapped customer, they would have to move him elsewhere. He knew that going in.

OK - I hope we have heard both sides of the HC issue and move past it.

As to the original post - the Mini-suite offers a LITTLE more room, not alot. And no suite perks. Just letting you know.

Some people like OV with pull down bunks better and then spend more money on excursions. There are GREAT Alaska excursions that can run some big money.

As to Bearing Sea - not sure what that is. The map shows it a long ways off.

In any event, I strongly suggest you spend some time on the ALASKA boards over at PORTS OF CALL.

Something to keep in mind is that, while the mini-suites DO offer more room than the balcony cabins, the 3rd and 4th passengers will be sharing the convertible sofa bed. In a balcony cabin, the 3rd passenger will use the fold out chair and the 4th passenger will have an upper bunk. For my DH and 2 teenaged DD's the mini-suite works fine, but other may prefer to have the separate beds for their kids.

we are thinking about booking an Alaska cruise but have a few questions...my wife and i last cruised to Alaska three years ago on celebrity but think NCL (Pearl - July 5th) might be better with the kids (15 and 9). What kind of cabin should we be looking for to accommodate the four of us where we can all have some sort of space without breaking the bank? I am using AMEX points for some of this cruise so we will see a significant break in the price. AMEX has tentatively booked us a "balcony suite" (Category BC) but it seems kind of small for four people. Are there other options?Also, we enjoyed all of our excursions last time and want the kids to experience many of the same things we did. I recently read about a Bering Sea Adventure that someone raved about. The kids love "Deadliest Catch," is this something we should look into and what, exactly is it?Sorry for the newbie questions...we really need to get away and want to make sure this is the right choice. Thanks in advance for any and all replies...

The balcony rooms would be too small IMHO. We had two twin beds, a pull out couch and a pull down bed. Very small for 4 people. VERY SMALL. Unless you don't bring much *shrug* :DSomeone would be trying to get into the shelf to get their stuff, and the door would open when one of our group came in, and the person would have to move. Then, I would want in the drawer, and someone else wanted by because they had to go to the bathroom quickly. Constant moving out of people's way. We took everything out of our suitcases and put them under the beds which helped, but there was still not very much room to move.

we are thinking about booking an Alaska cruise but have a few questions...my wife and i last cruised to Alaska three years ago on celebrity but think NCL (Pearl - July 5th) might be better with the kids (15 and 9). What kind of cabin should we be looking for to accommodate the four of us where we can all have some sort of space without breaking the bank? I am using AMEX points for some of this cruise so we will see a significant break in the price. AMEX has tentatively booked us a "balcony suite" (Category BC) but it seems kind of small for four people. Are there other options?

Also, we enjoyed all of our excursions last time and want the kids to experience many of the same things we did. I recently read about a Bering Sea Adventure that someone raved about. The kids love "Deadliest Catch," is this something we should look into and what, exactly is it?

Sorry for the newbie questions...we really need to get away and want to make sure this is the right choice. Thanks in advance for any and all replies...

We are also a family of four and we will be cruising on the Pearl in Aug. to Alaska. Currently we are booked in an AF mini-suite. I'm afraid it will be a little tight but the next category up I believe for four people is an AB Penthouse. When we priced that out it was approx. $3k more total and it just doesn't seem worth it for us. If we were to get a discount on it though I may consider it for suite perks. We also looked at doing 2 cabins but again with flights, excursions, etc. it was a big jump.

There is an excursion in Ketchikan called The Bering Sea Crab Fisherman Tour through NCL that sounds like the tour you are looking for. It is also offered by independent tour groups.

We are newbie cruisers and have never been to Alaska but I have learned a great deal from checking out the Alaska boards. I'm sure someone over there has done this and could give you feedback.

There are so many choices with excursions from mild to extremely active and budget friendly to expensive.

For Juneau, we did book a whale watch through Harv & Marv and I wouldn't have known about it if not for the Alaska boards. I think it could be the highlight of our trip. Our two children are 13 and 14 and I think it will be a great experience for all of us.

Best of luck with your planning.

Archived