Business Services onboard

ev8876

Hi. Will be on the Constellation on 12/4/04. I do not want to have to take my laptop computer with me. Does anyone know if the internet cafe onboard provides access for receiving documents by email in formats such as Word, Excel or Adobe Reader? Thanks.

Hi. Will be on the Constellation on 12/4/04. I do not want to have to take my laptop computer with me. Does anyone know if the internet cafe onboard provides access for receiving documents by email in formats such as Word, Excel or Adobe Reader? Thanks.

I haven't done a Millenium class cruise since last December, but here's what was true at that time:

You have several choices, but none include VPN service (they won't let you load any software), so you'll need a webmail account somewhere or you'll need to use your assigned on-board email account (see celebrityatsea.com for info). File attachments are allowed. If you use the assigned email account, when you receive an inbound email, a voicemail is automatically sent to your cabin phone.

Each of the cafe machines includes the standard selection of MS applications, including Word and Excel, so you'll be able to view such documents, but not save them to the cafe machine's hard drive. Bring your own media if you need. Printing is also available.

If in doubt about any specifics, you can contact the people that run this operation at their web site www.celebrityatsea.com and many questions are also answered there.

Business services on board! Why are you taking a cruise?!?

The last time I took a full week off was for my honeymoon almost 20 years ago. And, I don't remember a vacation since where I did not receive a call from the office, or a fax, or an email. My wife has long joked that the only way to have a few days to decompress and get away from the office is to tell them we are on a cruise, and that it's to Europe!

Well, for our 20th anniversary next May, we are booked on a 16 day transatlantic to Europe, and are staying on in Rome for five more days. Will I take my laptop - yes (mainly for my digital camara photos). Will I tell the office I can receive email - NO! I am looking forward to sea days with nothing to do but relax . . .

Nothing at the office needs management from a cruise ship. And, while we may like to think otherwise, no one is irreplacable. Trust your coworkers and staff to handle what comes up - remember the tired old TQM word "empowerment?" My advice after 20 years of "working vacations" is to pick a cruise ship with NO business center, Faxes, or cell phones!

Archived