What do you do to protect your hair?

SWEETPEA09

Nothing! Wear a hat, if you must! Use a good conditioner--that should be adequate for 1 week! Salt water may be drying, but it won't harm your color. Chlorine can leave a "green" tint, but not if you wash after being in it! Just do everyday grooming rituals!

The sun and chlorine will strip the color from your hair, maybe not to the point where you will automatically notice it, but it will happen.

Before going into the sun I wet my hair, slather on a conditioner and spray my part with sunscreen. I generally wear a hat for further protection.

As far as chlorinated water, avoid getting your hair into it if you can. If not, wet your hair thoroughly with plain water before getting into the chlorinated water, it won't absorb as much that way. Never allow chlorinated water to dry into your hair. If all you have available is a garden hose or a bucket or bottle of clear water, use it! Shampoo your hair as soon as possible and use a good conditioner.

Edit to add, I don't think salt water is quite as damaging as chlorinated water, the only time I ever go into the ocean it's only up to my shins. Other than snorkeling, then I rinse off as soon as I get back onto the boat, I can't stand the feeling of salt water drying on my skin, ick, ick.

Hi!

It is sooo important to protect your hair.

I usually use a deep leave in conditioner like Biolage or Paul Mitchell.

I then use a product specifically used to block UV on hair.

I have posted a few good ones below.:D

14563-002156.jpg

http://www.folica.com/Aveda_Color_Con_d4843.html

Here is another..

Although I am not a huge Redken lover..this product is good and smells nice.

21EAE0PC0VL._SL250_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Redken-Rescue-Shimmering-Defense-Protective/dp/B000QYP4QK

:D

I don't really worry about it as we are in the water everyday on vacation. I just make sure to get my color done AFTER I return from vacation and not right before. No sense spending all that money and then having the sun and chlorine ruin it.

I have a hair question, also. Has anyone had to color their hair on a cruise?:confused: We're going on a 24 day Mediterranean B2B in July, w/ a week before, and a couple of days after, so I will have to color my hair again during the cruise, as the gray roots show within 2 weeks and get worse at 3 weeks!:eek:

I'll take a hat for color protection.

My hair gets FRIED on cruises if I'm not careful. I take some humectant conditioner and leave it in my hair before going to the pool or swimming.

Someone on the boards mentioned a Banana Boat sunscreen for hair. I'm think I'm going to buy some and try it out. The sun really bleaches my hair out.

Hi!

It is sooo important to protect your hair.

I usually use a deep leave in conditioner like Biolage or Paul Mitchell.

I then use a product specifically used to block UV on hair.

I have posted a few good ones below.:D

14563-002156.jpg

http://www.folica.com/Aveda_Color_Con_d4843.html

Here is another..

Although I am not a huge Redken lover..this product is good and smells nice.

21EAE0PC0VL._SL250_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Redken-Rescue-Shimmering-Defense-Protective/dp/B000QYP4QK

:D

This Redken UV protection is amazing! I use it as a leave-in before styling, then as an additional smoother before I go out. I also use it to help comb out my hair after swimming. It's great.

L'Oreal also has this great new line of haircare products for colored hair called Everpure. They apparently have a hairspray that has UV protection in it. You can get it at Target, Walmart, CVS, etc.

Has anyone tried the L'Oreal Ever Pure? I asked my stylist about it, but she didn't know anything about it.

I used it on my recently-highlighted hair, and I really like it. I have very thick, curly hair, and it works well, and my color looks great. I'm going to buy the hairspray I mentioned today.

I have a hair question, also. Has anyone had to color their hair on a cruise?:confused: We're going on a 24 day Mediterranean B2B in July, w/ a week before, and a couple of days after, so I will have to color my hair again during the cruise, as the gray roots show within 2 weeks and get worse at 3 weeks!:eek:

I'll take a hat for color protection.

Not on a cruise, but I colored my hair just this past weekend in a hotel room. Had planned to do it Friday before I left, but the day got away from me and I didn't want to leave too late. So, Saturday morning, after bathing and blow drying the cat for the show, I colored my hair (used the Clairol Perfect 10 as it doesn't take too long).

I always do my own color, though. About every third time I highlight with the L'Oreal Coulour Experte stuff - then with the next two touch-ups, the highlighting just "bleeds" through and looks fine.

Many years ago (when I was young and had no gray, so no need for hair color - lol), we spent three weeks in Florida and Mississippi with a lot of time spent in the sun. I came home with carrot red hair (normal color is auburn). Went to a salon and they used a brown henna to drab it down - luckily, my hair was very short that summer. I now wear a hat in the sun.

What are your tips for protecting your highlighted/ color treated hair on a cruise from the sun, salt, etc.........:rolleyes:

I let the sun lighten my hair! There are some UV sprays that you can get to protect your hair from the sun. I always have great hair days on cruises because the water is so soft, and the salt water is actually good for your hair!

Not on a cruise, but I colored my hair just this past weekend in a hotel room. Had planned to do it Friday before I left, but the day got away from me and I didn't want to leave too late. So, Saturday morning, after bathing and blow drying the cat for the show, I colored my hair (used the Clairol Perfect 10 as it doesn't take too long).

I always do my own color, though. About every third time I highlight with the L'Oreal Coulour Experte stuff - then with the next two touch-ups, the highlighting just "bleeds" through and looks fine.

Thank you for the response. I was on vacation, so I waited until I was at my own computer. I looked up Perfect 10 & it sounds good, altho pricey. I have trouble with gray roots showing after about 7-10 days. I looked up solutions and just got a great deal on eBay from someone selling Color Mark liquid touch up. I don't like the crayon I have. It coats the roots w/ waxy color and then it feels like my hair is dirty. ColorMark sounds good, tho expensive. Anyone used it? Now I'm just researching in the best color to use on the cruise - 10 minutes sounds good (always wondered why men's hair color was 5 minutes to color!? Because men wouldn't put up with the 40 minutes it takes to color, wait, color ends, rinse & condition, clean mess, etc.!) I'll have to try it out first.

Thank you for the response. I was on vacation, so I waited until I was at my own computer. I looked up Perfect 10 & it sounds good, altho pricey. I have trouble with gray roots showing after about 7-10 days. I looked up solutions and just got a great deal on eBay from someone selling Color Mark liquid touch up. I don't like the crayon I have. It coats the roots w/ waxy color and then it feels like my hair is dirty. ColorMark sounds good, tho expensive. Anyone used it? Now I'm just researching in the best color to use on the cruise - 10 minutes sounds good (always wondered why men's hair color was 5 minutes to color!? Because men wouldn't put up with the 40 minutes it takes to color, wait, color ends, rinse & condition, clean mess, etc.!) I'll have to try it out first.

L'Oreal also has a 10 minute color solution, and it's about half the price of the Clairol Perfect 10. I haven't tried it, but it's similar technology. I'm a recent convert from salon to DIY color. I use the Clairol Perfect 10, and compared to what I paid in the salon, it's a huge bargain to me!

To protect my hair on a cruise, I use Biolage UV Filter and wear a hat. I also use John Frieda's brunette glaze every day to help keep the shift from auburn to red at bay.

Archived