Azamara vs. Oceania

TravelAbby

I was considering a cruise on the Oceania Insignia for September. Checked the Azamara sight and found a great cruise on 9/13 for less then half of what the Insignia cost. Is the Oceania line that superior. Is there a huge difference in food and service. The ships should be identical. Would appreciate any input.

Abby

I was considering a cruise on the Oceania Insignia for September. Checked the Azamara sight and found a great cruise on 9/13 for less then half of what the Insignia cost. Is the Oceania line that superior. Is there a huge difference in food and service. The ships should be identical. Would appreciate any input.

Abby

I have been on both lines several times and like them both for what they have to offer..Oceania is superior in some respects and Azamara is superior in other respects..its really up to the individual..I do love the price on Azamara..I get to do lots more shopping!!

Jancruz1

We are booked on the 9/13 sailing - please join us - we have a thread on the Roll Call board - there are several couples on this sailing and we'd love to have more.

It's a wonderful itinerary. I haven't sailed Azamara before but from everything I've read it seems like a great choice. Check out some of the member reviews and see what you think.

Kathy

No offense intended, but I think that you miss the point. These boards do have a fairly effective search function; a search for "Azamara vs Oceania" revealed six separate threads with the same title, each with several pages of posts.

I would certainly agree that any member of the Community has the right to post any reasonable question at all, it wouldn't hurt to use the search function and see if the information that you want hasn't already been posted.

Just arguing for a more efficient use of available resources.

I think more than anything it was the "tone" of the response to the question. If you noticed the OP only has 39 posts so they are obviously not a "seasoned" CC board member and possibly didn't realize there was a "search" function so pointing that out was helpful but to make such a blatant comment such as "Not again" is a bit of a turnoff to someone looking for an honest answer to a question. This particular board isn't that active so what's another question with some polite, informative answers - that's the purpose of these boards isn't it.

Sorry but if you don't want to read/answer the question in an helpful manner than just don't respond that's easy isn't it?

Well I guess I got my come uppance.........lol

Reading my original response I still think it was put forward as a tongue in cheek piece of advice, for which I am well known on here, but I guess I will mind my own business in future (some hope) and not point the questioner in the right direction.

I wish you all a safe journey and will move along and away from this thread.

Brian

I totally understand where the person was when they asked the question that had been asked and answered in 6 other postings-they might be like me-new to CC and really did not know where or how we can look for things. I call myself 'computer impaired' and I know I make mistakes when it came to postings on CC and other computer programs. I just always hope that people are kind and understand that mistakes are made and hopefully overlook a repeated question or being on the wrong posting. So far, I have been lucky and not been critisized for my mistakes-this is supposed to be a fun and learning place!;)

I agree! Things do change especially in these times,prices,services etc.which old postings do not address or are notup to date. A civil question desetrves to be answered with ba certain amount of decorum. If one does not want to answer a posting then there is always an off switch on the computer.

hi ed,

i have just posted a question azamara vs costa and saw your post....;-)

i had a chuckle too on your "Why worry about what people think, they don't do it very often."

i see you have been the azamara journey and just wondering if you would kindly shed some light on some of my questions on the tread that i have postes?;

hi all

is there anyone who can give us a bit of advise on azamara vs costa cruises?

we are mid 50's but very young at heart and do NOT want to be on a cruise where there are only older generation people - we love a mix

....but do like the idea of a smaller cruise line azamara vs the bigger cruiseline costa

we are going early may09 and thus we are weighing the pros and cons of each:

azamara

pros; smaller more intimate and easy em/debarkation

cons; maybe too old a mix of people, small pool

costa

pros; varied mix of people of all ages, larger pools

cons; too big, too many kids and delay on em/debarkation(maybe not a prob in may?)

ANY comments are welcome

also the x1 package for unlimmited beer, wine and soda sounds like a good deal for the costa cruise? we are australians and cannot see/find this offer.

lastly is ther a similar type of drinks deal for the azamara?

thanks in advance

katiekoo

Hi, Katiekoo,

I'll try to answer your questions, since I've sailed with both Azamara and Costa. Your pro/con analysis is pretty accurate, except for the age of people on Azamara. True, there are very few children onboard because Azamara has no programs for children. That does not mean that the demographics onboard are comprised mostly of older people. You will see some very active passengers, as well, since Azamara's itineraries are port-intensive, with fewer sea days. With Costa, you will see lots of kids, especially if they are offering their “Kids Sail Free” promotion.

Azamara does not have an equivalent to Costa’s X-1 program, which may be a good deal if you drink a lot of liquor. I had the X-1 package during my first cruise on Costa Magica, and at the time it was a very good deal ($78 if I recall correctly). However, Costa raised the price by the time of my sailing on Costa Fortuna, so I decided not to purchase it.

I would not hesitate to sail with Costa again. I did enjoy the Italian flair, the international atmosphere, the pasta dishes (the best pasta I’ve ever had at sea!), the Toga Night, and the adults-only pool at the stern of their ships.

With Azamara, you will get better food, better service, exotic ports, and a more luxurious experience, all without breaking the bank. It is my favorite cruise line, although Crystal is poised to take that spot in the near future.

Hi Katiekoo. I have no experience with Costa, so can't answer from that perspective. However, we have thoroughly enjoyed our Azamara Cruises ( and of course have one upcoming in May). The passenger mix really is pretty good; Estafon is correct that there aren't a lot of kids, probably due to the lack of specifics for them. But, the overall mix of passengers is pretty good. You will find a number of people your age, some older. The scooter crowd tends to be on bigger ships with less port-intensive itineraries, I think. The Azamara demographic tends, IMHO, towards active, curious, and overall interesting people in our experience. In other words, just nice people with only a few "lemons" mixed in the salad.

By and large, a good group of all ages.

Hope that's helpful.

Best Regards,

Archived