Cancelling Air-with Air/Cruise pkg-smart?

DTC

Ok, one last question and I will make up my mind.

If I cancel my air with Carnival, I was told no penalty with them!!

Is it true that I can:

Book my own air (there are 3 of us)

Get a taxi to hotel from airport for about $20-30 depending on which hotel I get (hoping for Intercontinental)

Get a taxi from hotel to port for about $25 (flat fee)

Get a taxi, after embarking, and take it to the airport ($30 or so).

Is this all true?? I think my PVP was trying to sell me their transfers, that is why it made more sense (in his words) to rent a car with the hotel, which we really don't need to do. We would like to be able to know and plan our own airfare. Thanks for your advise!!

Yes you can do all of those things.

We're flying into Miami. Taxi to hotel $24 plus tip. When you check in to your hotel, you may be able to arrange a shuttle to the port. We paid about$10 to port from hotel in May last year.

Is it true that I can:

Get a taxi to hotel from airport for about $20-30 depending on which hotel I get (hoping for Intercontinental)

Is this all true?? I think my PVP was trying to sell me their transfers, that is why it made more sense (in his words) to rent a car with the hotel, which we really don't need to do. We would like to be able to know and plan our own airfare. Thanks for your advise!!

All sounds about right, and is what we do every time. Always book our own air and take taxis from hotel to port, port to airport, etc. We don't care much for the most of the shuttle or transfer experience, other than a free shuttle ride from the airport to the hotel or something.

Is it true that I can:

All of your assumptions are correct, except I believe that the cab fare is a little less than you have stated, but it is certainly no more.

IMO you will definitely save money doing what you have suggested.

Is it true that I can:

Book my own air (there are 3 of us) YES

Get a taxi to hotel from airport for about $20-30 depending on which hotel I get (hoping for Intercontinental) YES

Get a taxi from hotel to port for about $25 (flat fee) YES, IF YOUR HOTEL DOESN'T OFFER A SHUTTLE, BUT THIS MAY BE CHEAPER.

Get a taxi, after embarking, and take it to the airport ($30 or so). YES

Please understand that it's the PVP's job to do their best to sell you on all of the cruise lines products and their airfare is always much more expensive so definitely doing as you have assumed will work out much better for you. I would suggest as someone else has already mentioned to arrive to the port city a day early to avoid any issues with flight cancellations/unforseen issues etc.

HAVE A GREAT TIME ON YOUR CRUISE!!!!

Jay

When we originally booked our cruise for our European cruise last September we had air/cruise. We decided to not stay with our PVP and go with a TA. She cancelled our air with no charge. Our TA booked us a private car to pick us up at the airport.

There was no charge for changing any of this.

Archived