HAL says goodbye to Filipino bands

Ebikini

This is from HAL's new release in November '08:

Holland America Line Delivers Entertainment Enhancements

Seattle, WA, November 4, 2008 - As part of Holland America Line's latest Signature of Excellence enhancements, entertainment on board five popular ships is evolving to feature a new music program, the new Showroom at Sea and expanded entertainment and enrichment activities. The enhancements are part of an extensive $200-million program that will occur during nearly month-long dry docks on ms Statendam, ms Maasdam, ms Ryndam, ms Veendam and ms Rotterdam beginning in spring 2009.

"The new musical offerings and entertainment initiatives are designed to be even more compelling and relevant to today's premium cruiser," said Richard D. Meadows, CTC, executive vice president, marketing, sales and guest programs, Holland America Line. "These enhancements will allow us to offer more venues and more choices to our guests."

Signature Bands Featured on All Ships

Joining the resident shipboard entertainment staff are three new musical groups catering to a wide audience: The HALCats, The Neptunes and Adaggio. Each ship in the fleet will now feature an ensemble of these signature musical groups.

An eight-piece party band, The HALCats play the music of the '60s, '70s and '80s throughout the ship. Charged with creating a sophisticated and sultry mood, The Neptunes, a three-piece combo, feature music from the Great American Songbook. Adaggio, a string quartet, comprised of a viola, cello and two violins, perform light classics in the Explorer's Lounge. Guests can dance to the tunes of Tony Bennett, Frank Sinatra and Harry Connick Jr. in the newly refurbished Ocean Bar.

Showroom at Sea

Holland America Line has redesigned its main show space to combine modern stage technology and décor with the ambiance of a glamorous nightclub. Called Showroom at Sea, this venue will feature new show concepts along with production-style shows. Remodeled seating and a larger parquet dance floor will also feature movable tables and chairs complete with white-linen tablecloths and café lamps. The old-Hollywood atmosphere in this intimate room is just the place to dance the night away.

Explorations Team Expands Activities

Entertainment and enrichment are taking on a new, contemporary look and feel across the fleet. A new Explorations Team employs cruise staff, each specializing in a particular area, to educate and entertain guests with an expanded menu of activities including flower arranging, hands-on cooking, dancing and working with digital photos, blogs and movies. Each team consists of a cruise director, a party planner, a travel guide, dance directors and a "techspert." On longer cruises, a book club leader joins the team to lead lively group discussions.

This $200-million phase in the Signature of Excellence commitment brings the latest innovations at sea to Holland America Line's Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam and Rotterdam. The first of the extensive dry dock periods begins with the Veendam in spring 2009 and the last will be completed on the Maasdam in early 2011. While in dry dock, ships will expand the aft deck to create a new resort pool concept, The Retreat, and create a new bar concept called Mix that features separate areas -- Martinis, Champagne and Spirits & Ales. Enhancements will be made to all existing staterooms and additional staterooms will be added to the five ships. The ships also will introduce innovative lanai staterooms with direct access to the Lower Promenade Deck. New spa staterooms near the Greenhouse Spa and Salon will offer special in-room spa amenities.

For a cruise brochure or for more information, consult a professional travel agent, 1-877-SAIL-HAL (877-724-5425) or visit www.hollandamerica.com.

From Prof Harold Hill, in post #15 of this thread:

Just to clear what seems to be some confusion up...all Ocean Bars on all ships WILL still have a band. Instead of hiring a (typically) Filipino band as a group, however, they're going to hire individual musicians and put them together as a band, just like the HALcats. A pianist/singer, bass, and drums.

The groups will all be called the "Neptunes" on every ship.

Just sharing what I know with everyone...:)

The problem, though, is that every time Seattle "enhances" the entertainment, they only make it worse. I haven't heard a "sophisticated" or "sultry" piece of music sung in the lounges in years. The singers that I've heard with the HALCats wouldn't know the meaning of those words.

Now, I didn't miss that those words were used in connection with the Neptunes, not the HALCats, but all the singers should have a knowledge of the concepts. That is, if they truly wish to think of themselves as "singers".

The problem, though, is that every time Seattle "enhances" the entertainment, they only make it worse. I haven't heard a "sophisticated" or "sultry" piece of music sung in the lounges in years. The singers that I've heard with the HALCats wouldn't know the meaning of those words.

Now, I didn't miss that those words were used in connection with the Neptunes, not the HALCats, but all the singers should have a knowledge of the concepts. That is, if they truly wish to think of themselves as "singers".

Maybe HAL can offer a contract to all the "Karaoke and SuperStar" winners:D Any sultry or sophisticated singers available?:D

My wife and I are seasoned cruisers with HAL and we find the best music to listen to and to dance to are in the Ocean bars. The Philipino groups that HAL have in the Ocean bars are definately what brings us back time after time.

We have yet to hear a really great Hal Cat group, even though Caren and the Hal Cats on the Noordam this past February were good.

Now if they would just ban smoking in the Ocean bars, life would be good !

I haven't heard a "sophisticated" or "sultry" piece of music sung in the lounges in years. The singers that I've heard with the HALCats wouldn't know the meaning of those words.

Oooooookay, but I wonder what Randy & Paula think.

american-idol-judges.jpg

Whenever we've heard the Halcats play for dancing, they were just too large a group, for the small rooms they played in, and therefore too loud. If a group of three will play for dancing in the Ocean Bar, that would be fine with us.

I wish they would bring back the Filipino group that used to play in the EXPLORERS LOUNGE. They played classical music and they were outstanding.

Himself: I agree with you 100%. I used to love to go there after dinner, but no longer. Gypsy music is not my cup of tee.

There was an excellent group in the Ocean Bar on the Amsterdam when we were on her in January. It was our favorite place to be and thoroughly enjoyed the music. And yes, there were people dancing every evening.

You must have had the same group we had for the holiday cruise. Packed house every evening. I don't understand why they would want to do something else when this works.

Just wondering, does anyone appreciate the HAL cats?

I enjoyed them on my last cruise. And, I thought Darlene was a pretty good singer too.

Of course, I prefer the old style rock and roll music and very much enjoyed the sailaways when they performed on the aft Lido deck. I think HAL is expanding their reportire to include dance tunes, so maybe that is the reason they are getting rid of the other bands?

I do know that the HALCats are union, and part of their contract entitles HAL to have them perform for a certain number of hours each day. Frequently, though, they were not booked for anywhere near that number of hours ... probably because they weren't needed to that extent most days -- what with the other bands/musicians onboard the ship. Maybe HAL feels that by eliminating the Filopino band, they will just use the HALCats more effectively.

In this time of cost-cutting, it's an understandable measure. Of course, one would hope that the HALCats would have to be brought up to speed on other types of music, if need be ... so that they could play the dance standards in the Ocean Bar nightly.

I guess we'll have to see ...

Blue skies ...

--rita

Just to clear what seems to be some confusion up...all Ocean Bars on all ships WILL still have a band. Instead of hiring a (typically) Filipino band as a group, however, they're going to hire individual musicians and put them together as a band, just like the HALcats. A pianist/singer, bass, and drums.

The groups will all be called the "Neptunes" on every ship.

Just sharing what I know with everyone...:)

Assuming the above comes to pass, this is not so bad. While the music from the Cats on various HAL ships was ok, the singing harkened back to Vietnam bar scenes I am sorry to say. Maybe this will be more subdued and oriented toward romance, dancing, and just relaxing. I know I will get pillared for this position, but I for one won't miss this attempted confluence.

harry

On our last cruise Jenny and the HAL Cats performed four nights out of 12 for dancing in the QL. In general we enjoyed their music, but one night the dancers from the cast came in and they started playing music for them rather than for the paying passengers. This was very irritating. None of the people paying the bills could dance to that herky-jerky junk, and we all got up and left after a short while.

As I have posted on other threads concerning dancing, the QL was unused multiple nights on our last cruise. When I say unused, I mean that it sat empty with no absolutely no activities. Period.

A dance combo is nice, but rather than let the QL be totally unused why not load an iPod with good dance music appropriate for the age group of the passengers and turn it on random play? That beats the heck out of nothing, or for that matter a bad combo. Another plus would be that we wouldn't have to put up with the frequent breaks that live musicians take.

On our last cruise Jenny and the HAL Cats performed four nights out of 12 for dancing in the QL. In general we enjoyed their music, but one night the dancers from the cast came in and they started playing music for them rather than for the paying passengers. This was very irritating. None of the people paying the bills could dance to that herky-jerky junk, and we all got up and left after a short while.

As I have posted on other threads concerning dancing, the QL was unused multiple nights on our last cruise. When I say unused, I mean that it sat empty with no absolutely no activities. Period.

A dance combo is nice, but rather than let the QL be totally unused why not load an iPod with good dance music appropriate for the age group of the passengers and turn it on random play? That beats the heck out of nothing, or for that matter a bad combo. Another plus would be that we wouldn't have to put up with the frequent breaks that live musicians take.

Jenny and HC were great at the pool party last summer on Zuiderdam, but they just dont get it when it comes to romantic dancing.

harry

Archived