If you were me

kcep02

My husband and I are going on the Glory May 23-30. We just booked the cruise a week ago. We don't have passports. Would you apply for one or just use the birth cert. and pray there are no problems?

My husband and I are going on the Glory May 23-30. We just booked the cruise a week ago. We don't have passports. Would you apply for one or just use the birth cert. and pray there are no problems?

The turnaround time, from what I have read, is much quicker now for passports. I would go for the passports.... if I were you!

From the PASSPORT website: ( http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/processing/processing_1740.html )

ROUTINE SERVICE

As of (Thursday April 2, 2009 ), we are processing routine applications in approximately 4-6 weeks from the time of application.

EXPEDITED SERVICE*

As of (Thursday April 2, 2009 ), we are processing requests for expedited service, that include overnight delivery to and from the Passport Agency, about 2-3 weeks door-to-door*.

Tom

Now, this is just my $.02, of course...

Go on your cruise, bring your birth certificate and proper photo ID. It's all that's required by the law and all that WILL be required for the foreseeable future. I'm not saying that a passport isn't a good idea... it's just not required.

If, God forbid, something did happen the local US consulate can arrange for a legal return to the US for you without undo delay.

Have a great cruise!!

If you decide to apply for passports you will need to send your birth certificates in with the application. This will leave you in the position of having no documents while waiting for your passports to arrive and your birth certificates to be returned. Considering your time frame you should get certified copies of your birth certificates so you will have what is needed to board the ship.

I agree with what Host Mach has posted above. Passports are a great idea but not required. What ever you decide is best, make sure you have what is needed for your cruise.

I would get passports done.

If you are worried about time, get them expedited.

I got my DD's passport done, and it arrived in 17 days- and that was with regular service. Good luck with your decision!

Also, you can always order a certified copy of your Birth certificate as backup....

Sorry I say wing it. There is always a first time but been on 19 cruises and no emergencies yet.

I have had a passport since 2002 though.:)

Bill

Not sure if you would get them and get birth certificates back within time for cruise.

But, since you are "spur of the moment" travelers (so to speak) why not get them when you return so that if a travel opportunity which requires passports presents itself in the future, you have the bases covered.

I think it is a good idea to get passports, but I wouldn't count on getting them in time for this cruise. If you apply before this cruise, get certified copies of your birth certificates as a backup. I would wait and apply for them after this cruise.

Get the passports. I applied for mine on Tuesday and was told I should have it by May 10. Just do it ASAP. The lady that did my passport told me that you can cruise without a passport but depending on where your cruise goes the authorities may not let you off the ship. According to her if your ports of call are US Territories you are fine with just a Birth Cirtificate and State ID but if it's not you will need a passport. If you want to you can go to the Dept. of State website and they have a "Do I need a passport?" link where you can put in the countries you are visiting and how you're getting there and it will tell you. I hope this helped.

The turnaround time, from what I have read, is much quicker now for passports. I would go for the passports.... if I were you!

From the PASSPORT website: ( http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/processing/processing_1740.html )

ROUTINE SERVICE

As of (Thursday April 2, 2009 ), we are processing routine applications in approximately 4-6 weeks from the time of application.

EXPEDITED SERVICE*

As of (Thursday April 2, 2009 ), we are processing requests for expedited service, that include overnight delivery to and from the Passport Agency, about 2-3 weeks door-to-door*.

Tom

That was basically the same time frame we were given last year when we applied for ours. We received it 2 weeks later and that was supposed to be when the influx of apps. were coming in and that was not it being expedited.:)

You can't fly without a passport or special intervention from the Embassy/Dept of State. So if an emergency happened you would have to get ahold of the Embassy, find the right person with authority, wait for them to issue the authority, get the authority in hand, then fly. On a Monday morning might be done in a few hours, on a Friday evening....who knows?

Get the certified copies of the BC and then apply for Passports ASAP.

Better safe than sorry in my humble opinion.

Have a great cruise either way!

Aloha.

Me and my Fiance just recently applied for our Passports, and no joke we had them in our hands in 9 days! A Passport is much easier to keep up with.

I agree with most poster that you should get yourself the passport. Saves a lot of time and headaches in the end. Also, if you decide to go somewhere in the near future that do requires a passport you will already have it:D

You can't fly without a passport or special intervention from the Embassy/Dept of State. So if an emergency happened you would have to get ahold of the Embassy, find the right person with authority, wait for them to issue the authority, get the authority in hand, then fly. On a Monday morning might be done in a few hours, on a Friday evening....who knows?

Get the certified copies of the BC and then apply for Passports ASAP.

Better safe than sorry in my humble opinion.

Have a great cruise either way!

Aloha.

The US consulates aren't like a grocery store. They are available 24/7. The folks at Carnival are VERY familiar with requirements and contacts in the ports they visit.

The US consulates aren't like a grocery store. They are available 24/7. The folks at Carnival are VERY familiar with requirements and contacts in the ports they visit.

But why put yourself though the additional hassle (if it came to that), when having a passport is "the key" ??

Mach - I agree with you 99% of the time... ;)

:D

Tom

But why put yourself though the additional hassle (if it came to that), when having a passport is "the key" ??

Mach - I agree with you 99% of the time... ;)

:D

Tom

Well... first, the OP asked for an opinion and everything I've stated simply supports my opinion.

Second, I think the fee for a passport is INSANE. I've had a passport since the early 70s but I think the current fees are an undo burden on a family. ONE passport for a solo traveler costing $100 or more is almost acceptable but $500 for a family of 5 to take a vacation is silly.

As long as the REQUIRED documents are a valid birth certificate and proper photo ID I'll maintain my position... or until the price of a passport becomes more reasonable...

Well... first, the OP asked for an opinion and everything I've stated simply supports my opinion.

Second, I think the fee for a passport is INSANE. I've had a passport since the early 70s but I think the current fees are an undo burden on a family. ONE passport for a solo traveler costing $100 or more is almost acceptable but $500 for a family of 5 to take a vacation is silly.

As long as the REQUIRED documents are a valid birth certificate and proper photo ID I'll maintain my position... or until the price of a passport becomes more reasonable...

I agree - the fee is outrageous (and even THAT does not ensure a SECURE document, as it evidenced by recent news reports)!!

On the subject of fees... we are having one of our A/C units replaced today (HOPEFULLY --- yes it's in the 80's down here!) since the compressor BIT THE DUST. The repair guy told me he first has to put in for a $90 permit with the county.... :rolleyes:

Tom

Archived