If you were me

kcep02

We are on the same cruise (my husband and our 9 yr. old son)...we don't have passports yet either. We are having to apply for them because we are flying to Jamaica in June.....I wasn't even thinking about not having them back in time for our cruise - I will have to send my org. b/c etc. Guess I better get busy huh? I live in Georgia, but I was born in Texas - not easy/fast to get another cert. copy of my b/c.

It is not that hard to get a birth certificate from Texas. I can't remember the name of the web site that I ordered mine from about 3 years ago. I live in Pennsylvania but was born in El Paso. It was the easiest process. I have my "Original Copy" of my BC but it was really pretty ragged and you couldn't even feel the seal anymore. So we ordered both of our BCs so that we would have them and to get our Passport. We do like to travel and have had opportunities to travel outside of the US, we are prepared for that. God only knows when the price of a Passport will ever go down or even how expensive it will get in the future.

Piece of mind is one reason to have it. Just for cruising.....not so much.

Robin

Ok I did it .....First thing this morning I went and got a 2nd copy of my BC (just in case the passport doesn't get here before my cruise) then I headed to the post office and turned in the paperwork for my passport. I was told the processing time is about 3 weeks. My husband went this afternoon to apply for his and he left his BC at home so he will go back Monday. We both have back up BC just in case. Now we are ready to go.

Ok I did it .....First thing this morning I went and got a 2nd copy of my BC (just in case the passport doesn't get here before my cruise) then I headed to the post office and turned in the paperwork for my passport. I was told the processing time is about 3 weeks. My husband went this afternoon to apply for his and he left his BC at home so he will go back Monday. We both have back up BC just in case. Now we are ready to go.

Glad to hear that!

Drop back in and let us know when you get them! :)

Tom

I hear what Mach is saying and somewhat agree for a family of five. But if someone was ill and needed to get everyone home, I'd rather have passports so we could go to the airport and get home quickly rather than have to find the place to go and sit around waiting to get clearance to go. :mad: Like everyone else....just MHO. I always get insurance as well. Figure if I have it I won't need it. Not a fan of having to mortgage the house to pay off a huge medical bill if one of us had to be evacuated. If I didn't have a home and such probably wouldn't bother. Opinions are like as*holes, everybody has one. :) Just gotta ask the question, get opinions then decide what works for you.

Kat

I was at our local VFW yesterday for fish fry and some of the people in attendance were from homeland security (and they were BIG) and I asked the question if on a closed cruise after June would you need a passport... I was told in no uncertain terms that after that date a PASSPORT would be REQUIRED period.... no exceptions... I stated that on the State website it said that a CLOSED loop cruise would be exempt and he stated again that by June the law would be EVERYONE and that I should check back sooner to June.

He said that in the field every person is being told that passports are it... nothing else will do.

Just FYI

Now do I believe them??? Well when a BIG guy with a BIG gun asks for my passport I will be showing him/her it.

I was at our local VFW yesterday for fish fry and some of the people in attendance were from homeland security (and they were BIG) and I asked the question if on a closed cruise after June would you need a passport... I was told in no uncertain terms that after that date a PASSPORT would be REQUIRED period.... no exceptions... I stated that on the State website it said that a CLOSED loop cruise would be exempt and he stated again that by June the law would be EVERYONE and that I should check back sooner to June.

He said that in the field every person is being told that passports are it... nothing else will do.

Just FYI

Now do I believe them??? Well when a BIG guy with a BIG gun asks for my passport I will be showing him/her it.

I'd take that with a grain of salt... Those folks aren't the CBP answer desk and certainly don't keep up on every change on every regulation... kinda like PVPs!!!

:)

It would be a lot easier (read: NO OTHER POSSIBLE INTERPRETATIONS) if they would just go ahead and make passports mandatory for any foreign travel - with perhaps Mexican/Canadian land boarders as an exception. It's the "specially worded" loopholes which tend to confuse people - but hey, they ARE the government, so they reserve that right!! :D

Tom

Just FYI

They were wrong. It doesn't surprise me that they don't know the law. In my experience, working at a government agency does not mean that a person knows all of the law with respect to that agency. The people working in a particular division will usually know the applicable law for that division.

Did you ask them about passport cards? I guess DHS plans on mass detentions for those using passport cards at the border? :rolleyes: There are also other exceptions in addition to the closed-loop cruise exception.

I'll be using a BC+DL in July along with thousands of others after June.

It would be a lot easier (read: NO OTHER POSSIBLE INTERPRETATIONS) if they would just go ahead and make passports mandatory for any foreign travel - with perhaps Mexican/Canadian land boarders as an exception. It's the "specially worded" loopholes which tend to confuse people - but hey, they ARE the government, so they reserve that right!! :D

Tom

... make that "BORDERS" .... :o

Tom

I think everyone should have a passport. It just makes things easier and we use ours even on domestic flights.

Host Mach stated that it was like taking extra money along to have in case you get robbed and it's something you have no control over.l That to me is like saying why have car insurance, fire insurance, etc. because you don't have control over that either. The passport is the equivalent of insurance.

We take our passports with us on shore because we don't see why that would be more likely to be stolen than our wallet with credit cards, cash, driver's license, etc. Just take care with it and it will be OK.

Thank you.

Linda

If you just take your birth certificates, like everyone is saying, make sure they are "state certified". Some states like Texas won't take the hospital birth certificates...those with the little footprints. (Maybe it's because they won't match

your big hoofprints now! hee hee)

If you just take your birth certificates, like everyone is saying, make sure they are "state certified". Some states like Texas won't take the hospital birth certificates...those with the little footprints. (Maybe it's because they won't match

your big hoofprints now! hee hee)

No states accept the footprinted hospital certificate because they aren't official documents. They're nothing more than a momento from the hospital.

They were wrong. It doesn't surprise me that they don't know the law. In my experience, working at a government agency does not mean that a person knows all of the law with respect to that agency. The people working in a particular division will usually know the applicable law for that division.

Did you ask them about passport cards? I guess DHS plans on mass detentions for those using passport cards at the border? :rolleyes: There are also other exceptions in addition to the closed-loop cruise exception.

I'll be using a BC+DL in July along with thousands of others after June.

That's fine... I'm just saying what I was told.... doesn't bother me as I've had a passport since age 5....

My husband and I are going on the Glory May 23-30. We just booked the cruise a week ago. We don't have passports. Would you apply for one or just use the birth cert. and pray there are no problems?

I would get the passports & get it over with. The way things are going, you will need one again.

We were in a similar situation. We sail the Glory on 5/9/09, and didn't have passports. So back in Feb., we applied for the Passport CARD. Took 3-4 weeks for DH's and my cards and BC to arrive, standard processing. Took an additional 2 weeks for DD's card to arrive for whatever reason. Now we're all set!

So I guess my answer is "I'd get the passport card!"

So I guess my answer is "I'd get the passport card!"

The passport card is not a passport.

If you are sailing a closed loop cruise a passport card is the equivalent of a BC/DL combination rolled into one document. You cannot fly home from a foreign country with it. You cannot catch up with the ship with it if you miss the sailing due to a flight delay. For almost all cruise situations it is a waste of money. The passport card was designed for land border crossings or ferry crossings, not cruises. Spend the extra cash and get a real passport or save your money.

The passport card is not a passport.

No, it's not a passport. As the name states, it is a passport CARD. And yes, it is intended for land and sea travel only, not air travel. Last I checked, cruises qualified as sea travel.

No, it's not a passport. As the name states, it is a passport CARD. And yes, it is intended for land and sea travel only, not air travel. Last I checked, cruises qualified as sea travel.

Birth Certificate and government issued photo ID qualify for sea travel, as far as sea travel means cruising round-trip with Carnival. You need to provide Birth Certificate and photo ID and money to get a passport card. Why would you spend the money for passport card when it does nothing more than what you already have?

Birth Certificate and government issued photo ID qualify for sea travel, as far as sea travel means cruising round-trip with Carnival. You need to provide Birth Certificate and photo ID and money to get a passport card. Why would you spend the money for passport card when it does nothing more than what you already have?

Because in a few months, a birth certificate and ID won't cut it anymore. Not to mention the fact that it's easier to carry than a passport book. Plus, a LOT of people keep things like birth certificates and passport books in the safe in their stateroom, which won't do any good if they miss the boat. At least the card is waterproof and portable.

Because in a few months, a birth certificate and ID won't cut it anymore. Not to mention the fact that it's easier to carry than a passport book. Plus, a LOT of people keep things like birth certificates and passport books in the safe in their stateroom, which won't do any good if they miss the boat. At least the card is waterproof and portable.

Dear Lady you really must keep up. Nothing changes in the next few months. The links to Homeland Security, the State Department, Customs and Border Protection, Carnival Cruise Lines etc have all been posted in this thread, many of them multiple times. Closed Loop cruises will require Birth Certificates and photo ID's and nothing more.

Carnival Cruise Lines does not offer any itineraries where a passport card will be accepted but a birth certificate and photo Id will not be accepted. Carnival does have a few itineraries where a passport is required but a passport card will not help you.

Unless you cross our land borders into Canada or Mexico regularly or you travel a ferry from Victoria to the San Juan islands, or Halifax to Portland etc. you have no need of a passport card. For someone looking to book a Carnival cruise it is a meaningless document.

Dear Lady you really must keep up. Nothing changes in the next few months. The links to Homeland Security, the State Department, Customs and Border Protection, Carnival Cruise Lines etc have all been posted in this thread, many of them multiple times. Closed Loop cruises will require Birth Certificates and photo ID's and nothing more.

Carnival Cruise Lines does not offer any itineraries where a passport card will be accepted but a birth certificate and photo Id will not be accepted. Carnival does have a few itineraries where a passport is required but a passport card will not help you.

Unless you cross our land borders into Canada or Mexico regularly or you travel a ferry from Victoria to the San Juan islands, or Halifax to Portland etc. you have no need of a passport card. For someone looking to book a Carnival cruise it is a meaningless document.

If it were "meaningless," as you say, Carnival would not accept it in lieu of a BC and ID. Personally, I would feel a lot better bringing my passport card than my birth certificate on a cave tubing or snorkelling excursion.

The OP asked "what would you do?" and I answered. Everyone's entitled to an opinion, so let's just agree to disagree on whatever it is we're disagreeing on. :confused: If you'd rather spend twice as much on a passport book, then it's your money. Just don't mislead anyone by implying that a passport card is not an option for a cruise.

If it were "meaningless," as you say, Carnival would not accept it in lieu of a BC and ID.

Yes, Carnival accepts a passport card "in lieu" (in place) of a BC and ID. What I meant by "meaningless" was the $45 spent on the document since the passport card is of no greater significance.

Just don't mislead anyone by implying that a passport card is not an option for a cruise.

My point was that the passport card was a waste of time and money, at least for anyone with the basic requirements needed to apply for one.

I am constantly AMAZED at the people that have to go after someone for their opinion... If someone wants to use a passport card rather than the DC/DL combo it's their option... I think that a passport is the way to go and that is my opinion... Give it a break.

My husband and I are going on the Glory May 23-30. We just booked the cruise a week ago. We don't have passports. Would you apply for one or just use the birth cert. and pray there are no problems?

You have a few weeks, get a passport. That way you will be ready for anything that could happen. Remember, if anything happens and you need to get back on a plane then you may have some difficulties without a passport.

Archived