Opinion on trip insurance

nic624

Hi,

I am aware that purchasing cruise insurance is a personal decision, but I have a situation where I would like to hear the opinions of others.

For my past cruises I have always purchased trip insurance and not thought twice about it. However, I had always flown to the port of embarkation. I have liked having the insurance for the possibility of lost luggage and delayed flights. This time I am going out of NY, which is only an hour drive from my home.

I will be travelling with my sister, her daughter, her daughters friend, and my father and his girlfriend. My father is not in the best of health so he will be purchasing insurance (I am not sure about his girlfriend).

I know of the other benefits of insurance besides those listed above, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money when my top reasons for purchasing insurance always concerned air travel. I know accidents can happen, but generally speaking, I am a healthy person with no reason to believe I will fall ill (based on history).

My question is: If I decide to purchase insurance and my father cannot make the trip (covered by his own insurance), will my insurance allow for coverage to cancel my trip due to someone else's illness (dad's)?

Also, I am sure I am not alone in the thinking that insurance is good to have when flying to the port. However, if you typically do purchase insurance and now are leaving from a port within driving distance, would you still feel the need to have it? I am truely torn in this decision, and would like some opinions.

Thank you,

My sister had this situation recently. They purchased the insurance, but then her sister in law got ill and they all decided not to go on the trip. The insurance co. gave them a hard time because they said there was no reason my sister couldn't go. In the meantime, my sister also became ill right before the trip and got a doctor's note. The insurance co. then paid.

Not sure if all insurance works this way.

There are multiple policies available and it gets confusing, I know!

First off there are policies that exclude the travel portion (aka getting to the ship) but honestly this is the cheapest part of the insurance.

It's the health and evacuation insurance that's the killer. Many employer heath plans will not cover out of country and if they do it's going to be out-of-network, so if your policy only covers 80% the travel insurance I'd buy travel insurance to cover the rest. Also, since an evacuation can cost 10's and even 100's of thousands of dollars having that is pretty much a requirement in my books.

As for your Dad's pre-existing condition most policies will still cover you if you buy the insurance within a specific trimframe (usually a few days after final payment or after initial booking, depends on the policy)

There is a site that will compare travel policies for you, I will put that in a separate link in case the moderator needs to delete it (I'm not sure if posting that sort of link is not permitted) If the post gets deleted check out Frommer's travel site, there is info there.

I have been cruising since 1978 and for many years I never bought the insurance. Now as I am getting older I realize that it is a good idea to get the insurance. A few years ago, my brother was booked on a cruise with us and unfortunately his wife passed away about a month before the cruise. Thank goodness he had the insurance. Last year, one of our friends booked on a cruise with us, fell in his home and broke a bone in his back......not a

real serious break, but enough for him to have to cancel the cruise. Again, thank goodness he had insurance. But worst of all, another one of our friends was on a cruise and had a bad fall during the muster drill on the ship. They took him to the infirmery where the ship's doctor decided he could not sail on the ship. They held up the departure until an ambulance came to the pier and took him and his wife off the ship. Again, thank goodness he had the insurance. You never know what will happen and investing in the insurance seems like a pretty good idea. ;)

My real reason for buying travel insurance was coverage for medical problems & evacuation while traveling. From insuremytrip.com you can buy coverage for that only & it's a LOT less expensive than full trip insurance, which runs roughly 10% of your trip. I'm willing to take the chance on having to cancel, but not getting stuck in a foreign country with no health or evac. insurance! Just a thought.

Hi,

I am aware that purchasing cruise insurance is a personal decision, but I have a situation where I would like to hear the opinions of others.

For my past cruises I have always purchased trip insurance and not thought twice about it. However, I had always flown to the port of embarkation. I have liked having the insurance for the possibility of lost luggage and delayed flights. This time I am going out of NY, which is only an hour drive from my home.

I will be travelling with my sister, her daughter, her daughters friend, and my father and his girlfriend. My father is not in the best of health so he will be purchasing insurance (I am not sure about his girlfriend).

I know of the other benefits of insurance besides those listed above, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money when my top reasons for purchasing insurance always concerned air travel. I know accidents can happen, but generally speaking, I am a healthy person with no reason to believe I will fall ill (based on history).

My question is: If I decide to purchase insurance and my father cannot make the trip (covered by his own insurance), will my insurance allow for coverage to cancel my trip due to someone else's illness (dad's)?

Also, I am sure I am not alone in the thinking that insurance is good to have when flying to the port. However, if you typically do purchase insurance and now are leaving from a port within driving distance, would you still feel the need to have it? I am truely torn in this decision, and would like some opinions.

Thank you,

You would really need to check out whatever policy you were looking at to make sure that it would reimburse you in the event your dad were to fall ill prior to sailing and not be able to travel.

Just let me play devil's advocate here for a minute concerning travel insurance. Having been in a situation where I had a medical emergency overseas while on vacation (I was in the military at the time and Uncle Sam took care of the civilian hospital bills and medevac) I have a little experience to pull from.

1. All of you need to have a passport. I KNOW that there are plenty of people on this board who will disagree with me and they are welcome to their opinion. However, in my situation I had flown to meet my sailor husband at a liberty port overseas. Thank God he had his personal passport on him and did not have to rely on military orders. It facilitated the process of him accompanying me when I was medevaced from France to Germany. Simply not a situation in which you want to have hassles. You already have too much to have to deal with.

2. If your dad became ill, who would accompany him to a hospital and who would pay for the medevac and hospital bills? How would you cover your expenses if you were to have to stay for an extended period of time out of country? As another poster listed, many private insurance companies do not cover out of the country medical expenses.

3. It is not a matter of being in good health and not anticipating any kind of illness occuring. There is a commercial slogan that says "Life comes at you fast." You just never know. You could be injured on the ship or while on an excursion.

Ultimately the decision to buy/not buy insurance is yours. I just never travel out of country any more without it. I consider it part of my travel expenses. Just my 2 cents worth.

(1) The third party Trip Insurance policies are less expensive and better coverage than Carnivals. Since you would not be insuring the airfare with these policies, they'd be that much less expensive.

(2) Most policies cover cancellation for injury/illness of your traveling companion that prevents them from traveling (might be nice if all were under the same booking). You have to check the wording in these policies, for caveats like (you're covered if you cancel because your traveling companion cancels because he is sick and provably unable to travel -and- you're covered if your traveling companion cancels because he's sick and you Have to stay home to care for him, etc.). some policies cover you for the extra cost of the single supplement if your traveling companion cancels.

(3) Most buy the Trip Insurance because their Healh Insurance does not cover Out-of_Country Acident/Illness and for the Medical Evacuation coverage.

ken

I believe in "self-insurance" for the most part. In other words, if I absolutely had to cancel last-minute, I would be able to part with the money I had spent on the cruise/airfare/other prepaid expenses. BUT I am young and healthy and my parents are healthy so it's hard for me to come up with a scenario where I would have to cancel last minute. IF something catastrophic happened, I'm guessing the $1000 I spent on a trip would be the last thing on my mind. If I had a $10K trip planned I might think otherwise, but I tend to travel on a budget :rolleyes: I figure the money I save on insurance each trip adds up and eventually would cover the cost of a last-minute cancellation, should I ever need it. (*fingers crossed that I don't need it!*) That being said, I still do everything in my power to avoid problems that may cause delays. I get to the airport early so I don't accidentally miss my flight (potential traffic delays, you never know), I fly in a day early, make sure I have reasonable layover times...you get the picture.

That being said, I do think emergency evacuation insurance is a must for "exotic" trips - in other words, it wouldn't be something I felt a need for if I went on a 5-day Canada & NE cruise but it would be something I would purchase for a Galapagos vacation. My medical insurance covers even international care (many do not, so check beforehand!). If it didn't, I would look into a travel medical policy as well. Again, I am in great health and don't foresee a likely scenario where I would need to be air-lifted off the ship. If I had known heart issues or something of that nature, then I would probably consider evacuation insurance on any cruise, regardless of destination.

I'm sure others might think I'm taking too many risks, but given my current health and personal situation, they are risks I am willing to take.

So to the OP: I think you will need to examine your own situation, consider the risks if you do not have insurance, and then decide if the risk is acceptable to you.

On our first cruise we bought the insurance because we were travelling with my father in law who was in poor health. We only bought it because we thought he might possibly have to cancel at the last minute.

His health remained stable and we were able to go. On the ship, however, mother in law fell in her stateroom and broke her elbow!

Travel insurance covered their flights home from our first port of call (nearly $1,000) and reimbursed them for the unused portion of their cruise.

Since then, we would never dream of travelling anywhere without it. You just never know.

Also, the papers are full of stories of 'perfectly healthy' people having heart attacks, etc... Better safe than sorry in my opinion.

Whatever you decide, have a great trip!!

Hi,

Thank you,

Others have given you a link to imt.com. Go there, read the DIFFERENT coverages. Every insurance policy you have ever bought and ever will buy will cover EXACTLY what the policy says it will cover. NO more, no less. And what one policy says, has nothing to do with ANY other policy.

FYI, there are travel policies that cover "Cancel for any reason!"

Also pay close attention to the pre-existing conditions waiver window since that will surely apply to your Fathers condition. Some policies require insurance coverage be purchased very soon after booking a trip or they will not cover ANY pre-existing condition. Others allow you to wait until final payment to get insurance and still have pre-exist. covered. [more expensive policy, but if it covers and a cheaper one doesn't, IS it more expensive?]

I always buy trip insurance.

Dan

Insurance is just that. If you need it, you'd be glad you had it. If you're under 60 in good health and have a healthy young family, then go without the insurance, but think twice if your parents are getting up there or other issues if they might cause a hardship.

Yes Nicolle, purchasing of travel insurance is a very subjective issue.

If you purchase insurance within a set period after depositing on your cabin, you will be covered for cancellation due to any illness to your immediate family member ie; your father. Example: Travelguard Vacation deluxe plan allows 21 days for purchase to get this coverage (for pre-existing illness) where others are 14 days after deposit.

I too have often considered this purchase. Ask yourself if you fell and broke your arm, would you have enough credit line to pay the Medical Bills on board ship or a land based hotel? I know you are walking your luggage to the port, however, what if it gets lost and doesn't get to your cabin? ( I have seen this happen first hand to more than 40 cruisers - the conveyor belt broke and luggage fell to the Terminal Roof! It wasn't found for 3 weeks!) What if you lost your camera, passport, or needed emergency evacuation back home due to an illness or accident? Do you have $50,000 for this flight?

Insurance I buy costs $55. Is this too much to insure your peace of mind? Only you can answer this question. Good Luck compare prices on insuremytrip.com.

Bon Voyage

Nanatravel

Look at it another way. What's the difference between driving to a port or flying? Which mode of transportation has a much higher chance of an accident?

Although many policies cover the illness of an immediate family member, you would likely have to cover pre-existing conditions to be covered for something that might be more likely to happen with your father's current health condition.

Buy insurance for those things that you're most worried about. When we were young and healthy and our parents were also, we didn't buy it for short trips - only the longer more expensive ones. Now....we see it in a whole new way after seeing people need to use it and reading about circumstance after circumstance on these Boards that insurance would have covered.

As someone said on here the other day, it's about piece of mind. You're thinking no further than the port and trip cancellation. You need to think about the entire trip and the what-if's that might happen while out of the country as well.

There is also insurance that covers to cancel for any reason (usually an extra that has to be purchased within so many days of your first down payment on a cruise)

Has anyone ever purchased this add on???? I am wondering because we just booked a cruise for 2011 and used the early saver prices even thou the deposit is not refundable if cancelled. So I am looking to Ins that has that policy.

There is also insurance that covers to cancel for any reason (usually an extra that has to be purchased within so many days of your first down payment on a cruise)

Has anyone ever purchased this add on???? I am wondering because we just booked a cruise for 2011 and used the early saver prices even thou the deposit is not refundable if cancelled. So I am looking to Ins that has that policy.

I looked into it and it was double for what I pay for insurance now. It basically cancelled out the savings I would be saving if I booked early savers..........

No one expects to get sick/injured/have a death in their family while on vacation. We purchase travel insurance for peace of mind ( dh and dd have pre-existing medical conditions which can flare up at any time, and my mom is 81) The minute I book a cruise/vacation, I am then on the phone getting insurance for the trip, including airfare. It is worth the $300 extra I pay to cover my $5000 vacation for the 4 of us. I count it as part of our vacation expense, and don't think 2x about it.

No one expects to get sick/injured/have a death in their family while on vacation. We purchase travel insurance for peace of mind ( dh and dd have pre-existing medical conditions which can flare up at any time, and my mom is 81) The minute I book a cruise/vacation, I am then on the phone getting insurance for the trip, including airfare. It is worth the $300 extra I pay to cover my $5000 vacation for the 4 of us. I count it as part of our vacation expense, and don't think 2x about it.

Have you ever purchased the cancel for any reason add on?? Just wondering if they really stick by it

Insurance is just that. If you need it, you'd be glad you had it. If you're under 60 in good health and have a healthy young family, then go without the insurance, but think twice if your parents are getting up there or other issues if they might cause a hardship.

I respectfully disagree. We were a "young, healthy family" (or so we thought) on the Liberty back in Dec 2007 when my 47-year old hubby had a heart attack on the ship. I've posted about it on these boards enough already and he is fine now, but our total expenses were over $110,000. Rushed to Cayman Islands hospital, then air ambulanced to Miami for treatment. Granted our health insurance covered part of the medical, but not the private flights the kids had to take from GC to Miami, or the extra week and a half expenses we had for all of us in Miami (hotels, meals, transportation), or half the cruise we missed, excursions, other non-covered medical, etc. I am so glad we purchased travel insurance... at a mere cost of $41 per person at the time.

The Policies with "Cancel for Any Reason" option charge a 50% premium for that privilege which pretty well negates you Early Saver savings AND they only insure up to 75% (Travel Insured policiy vaguely says but doesn't explain up to 75% and CSA Freestyle Luxe is up to 100% but based on what percentage of your Cruisefare you're losing, so it's not really 100%). I believe both have to be purchased w/in 14 days of Deposit.

IMO there's no value in using "Cancel for Any Reason" insurance to offset the Early Saver's non-refundable deposit.

ken

Well if we do travelsafe with the added cancel for any reason policy we would get 85% of our non refundable deposit back and we are saving $510 by going the early saver rate.

The insurance with that added benefit would be an added $78 for a total of $276 which we would get anyway because we always get travel ins with 5 people traveling.

So with the 15% loss we could re-coup and the added $78 premium we are still ahead by $244.50 going with the early saver if we had to cancel. If we don't cancel we would be ahead the $510 that could go toward our sign & sail bill!! :D:D

The Policies with "Cancel for Any Reason" option charge a 50% premium for that privilege which pretty well negates you Early Saver savings AND they only insure up to 75% (Travel Insured policiy vaguely says but doesn't explain up to 75% and CSA Freestyle Luxe is up to 100% but based on what percentage of your Cruisefare you're losing, so it's not really 100%). I believe both have to be purchased w/in 14 days of Deposit.

IMO there's no value in using "Cancel for Any Reason" insurance to offset the Early Saver's non-refundable deposit.

ken

What kind of insurance one buys and how much it costs has nothing to do with your early saver savings. They are 2 different things with 2 separate purposes.

What you are saying is like you make a great deal on a car but putting gas in it ruins your car deal. It all comes out of your wallet but for different reasons.

Dan

What kind of insurance one buys and how much it costs has nothing to do with your early saver savings. They are 2 different things with 2 separate purposes.

What you are saying is like you make a great deal on a car but putting gas in it ruins your car deal. It all comes out of your wallet but for different reasons.

Dan

well put -

Dan

If you book 6 months out and are not afraid of the possibility of having to cancel other then said medical reasons in your policy.......I agree.......

But if you were me:D who has never booked that far ahead (and never will) because of on going possiblities of cancelling for any reason other then said medical reasons in my policy I would disagree......I would have to pay double for my cancel for any reason policy which would be pretty much the amount I would be saving on early savers........no savings there.

So it comes down to........how much ya want to gamble:D

Archived