HELP!!!! Advice needed....Taking a Cruise after Hip Replacement

Sandytoes

I booked my cruise last December.

I started to have a severe pain in my hip running down my leg in March.

After several visits to the Drs and having every test done. I was told I had no choice - a total hip and knee replacement is necessary.

Next month (May) I will have a total hip replacement.

Not sure when my knee will be done. If I can hold off until after my cruise, that will be great.

• I am wondering what my recovery will be, if I'll be able to make my August cruise.
  • Will it be difficult for me to get around the ship?
  • Should I call my TA and ask for a handicap stateroom? It might be too late.
  • Do I need to avoid lounge chairs?
  • Walking on sand?

Any advice or info will be greatly appreciated.

Chris

After several visits to the Drs and having every test done. I was told I had no choice - a total hip and knee replacement is necessary.

Not sure when my knee will be done. If I can hold off until after my cruise, that will be great.

• I am wondering what my recovery will be, if I'll be able to make my August cruise.
  • Walking on sand?

Chris

I think you should call your TA and ask for a handicap accessible stateroom. I'm really hoping you won't need it...but "just in case", it would be MUCH better to have one than not. You'll appreciate the grab bars around the toilet, the grab bars and drop down shower seat (so you won't have to step in/out of a tub, and no threshhold to concern yourself getting in and out of the bathroom to begin with.

I think you probably want to avoid lounge chairs. They're hard to get out of under normal circumstances sometimes, and with a newly installed hip/knee, might be a real challenge.

As for the sand ..probably need to see how you heal! But I really would urge you to call your TA and see if you can get an accessible cabin. I think you'll be much more comfortable.

• Walking on sand?

Chris

Shouldn't you ask your doctor these questions?

I second the motion of talking to your doctor! Most recovered hip replacement patients don't need any sort of "handicapped" cabins!

I know there is a time-frame after surgery where certain motions are prohibited--like leg-crossing, dancing, etc.....

Talk to your surgeon and follow his/her directions. A hip replacement can change your life for the better, but not if you ignore the doctor's orders!

Find out NOW if you need to change your cruise dates!!!!!

My husband has had both hips replaced in the same year. So I asked him your questions. He said that your doctor is the best person to ask about what you will and will not be able to do.

He was back to work in three months after each. He wasn't allowed to drive for 8 weeks after the first one. He went to rehab for 12 weeks for the first one, 8 weeks for the second. (the first one took longer because the other hip still needed replacement). It was a year after the second hip replacement before we cruised again.

He also states that age and fitness also play a factor in the length of time to recover. He was 58 when he had both of his done.

Make sure that you attend all your physical therapy sessions and go for as long as you can.

If your doctor gives you the OK to still go on the cruise, hubby did have some suggestions. First of all, if you are flying - make arrangements to use a wheelchair at the airport. It can be long waits in lines and/or long walks to gates. With a metal hip, you will set off the metal detectors and need to be hand wanded at the very least. So allow yourself extra time.

It shouldn't be that difficult to get around the ship - provided you have completed rehab. However, if you are no longer using a cane, you might still want to bring it to help you walk on a rocking ship.

Everone heals at different rates. I played golf 4 weeks after my first knee replacement. Was back at work 2 weeks after the surgery. You should see how you heal and talk to you Doctor. Just be ready to be wanded at the airport, no big deal they are just doing their jobs keeping us all safe.

Thanks for all your advice.

I will ask my Dr for any restrictions.

hajekfam ~

My cruise is three months after surgery.

I will be going to rehab (not sure how long)

and probably PT after that.

By the sound of your husbands recovery

I will have no problem.

What a relief!!!! Thanks!!!! :)

One other thought. If you think mobility on the ship will be an issue you can always rent a manual wheelchair or a motorized scooter to use onboard. Care Vacations is the company most of us use. We rent a scooter, and it's in the cabin when we arrive, and we leave it there when we leave.

Good luck with your surgery. My hubby had his left hip done here recently and it went well. Try to get a wheelchair in the airport, they know the airport shortcuts and also can get you through security faster. Also get a card or something signed by your ortho doc that tells security that you have a hip implant because you will set off the sensors and they will wand you. My hubby was ready to pull his shorts down to show them the scar because security was cranky, but then he remembered his card.

I haad a total hip replacement last May.

I flew for the first time in late February, and I set the alarm off, as I had expected. I carried my card and showed it to security. They wouldn't even look at it, saying that everyone could obtain a card like this. I was put in a clear isolation booth and a female attendand was called to search me. I was seperated from my carry on and handbag, which made me very nervous. When I asked the male attendent to please bring me my handbag, he replied that my luggage was "clean" but I wasn't. I insisted that my handbag would be brought to me, as I was still waiting for a female attendent to search me. He finally brought the bag into the booth, but told me not to touch it.

After about 10 minutes a female attendent arrived and she took a wand and then touched me all over my whole body etc.

I nearly missed my flight, as it was a long way to my. I was literally the last passenger boarding.

Please allow extra time for this sometimes lengthy procedure.

Ginnie

I can't help with any info on a hip replacement but I did have a double knee replacement Oct 2006, I was 46. We took a 12 day TA in April 2007. We also stayed an extra 5 days in England visting our daughters.

It has now been over 2.5 years and I still get wanded by security everytime I fly. When I was checking in at the Galveston Port 2 weeks ago when we were boarding the Voyager I set off the alarms as well as everytime I boarded from a Port of Call. I have accepted this and plan extra time whenever we travel....it sure beats the pain I was in for 18 years!!!

Good Luck with both of your surgeries!!

Good luck with your surgery. My hubby had his left hip done here recently and it went well. Try to get a wheelchair in the airport, they know the airport shortcuts and also can get you through security faster. Also get a card or something signed by your ortho doc that tells security that you have a hip implant because you will set off the sensors and they will wand you. My hubby was ready to pull his shorts down to show them the scar because security was cranky, but then he remembered his card.:D

For this cruise we'll be driving, so I won't have to worry about going through security.

Thanks for the info, I have to remember to ask for that card when I see the Dr.

I can't help with any info on a hip replacement but I did have a double knee replacement Oct 2006, I was 46. We took a 12 day TA in April 2007. We also stayed an extra 5 days in England visting our daughters.

It has now been over 2.5 years and I still get wanded by security everytime I fly. When I was checking in at the Galveston Port 2 weeks ago when we were boarding the Voyager I set off the alarms as well as everytime I boarded from a Port of Call. I have accepted this and plan extra time whenever we travel....it sure beats the pain I was in for 18 years!!!

Good Luck with both of your surgeries!![/quote]

This is good to know.

Sounds like you healed quickly to take your trip.

I also have been dealing with the pain for some time now. It just has gotten to the point where I can't take it any longer.

Drs told me I was "too young" :rolleyes: to have it done. Stupid me I should have gone to a different Dr. No one should have to deal with this much pain.

All I can say, it will soon be over with.

Do you think I will need the card for security on a Cruise Ship?

I never use my card anymore. Like one of the past posters stated...anyone can get hold of a card on-line...so it really is no use. Just give yourself extra time when traveling. It always reminds me that the Security people are actually doing their job to keep us all safe!!! :)

Archived