Are waterproof shoes a must have?

SBwannaB

The waterproof shoes I have are just as comfy as any other shoes...and I HATE wet feet so I'll definitely be bringing them. But then I live in the desert of Washington, so any kind of wetness on my feet is rare and uncomfortable. I guess if I was around it more I'd be used to it but no....I'm definitely wearing my waterproof shoes as my main ones to wear!

Not sure where the OP will need waterproof shoes. While flightseeing, on the White Pass and Yukon RR, on deck? While I'd make sure that I had synthetic socks and other apparel (not cotton) to keep drier, it just doesn't sound like the OP is intending to do anything that would require waterproof shoes.

I was thinking the same thing. I assume you need to waterproof a pair of shoes because chances are you will be out walking in the rain, even if it's just walking around the port city, and most people don't want to have to pack rain boots. Since most of the posters who have already been to Alaska promote waterproofing they must know from experience. It gets pretty damp and rainy here at home so I suppose waterproofing a pair of my sneakers wouldn't hurt.

And my Budget Queen tip of the day- TA DA!!!! to dry out shoes quicker- loosely place a hand towel in each shoe, the wicking action speeds up drying. :) :) :)

If hand towels do a good job of drying out wet shoes, just imagine what a ShamWOW would do!

Sometimes I'm so clever......

I recently bought a pair of Totes through JCP online. It states they are waterproof and we'll find out! They were only about $25.00. I have been wearing them around to break them in before our cruise. I will say this, I wear a size 7 shoe and that is what I ordered. They just fit. My big toe is right at the tip of the shoe. Would not be able to wear really heavy socks with them and for sure will need to be sure toenails are clipped. I did not want to return them for a 7 1/2 because I have a high arch and the bottom of my feet fit perfectly in that area of the shoe. They zip up over the arch. That part was a bit snug when I received them. Since I have been breaking them in by wearing heavy socks, the top of the arch area fits fine and the shoes have stretched. They are now quite comfortable.

Diane

Hi Diane,

Just wanted to let u know that a friend of mine bought a pair of these and though they are very comfortable and a very good value, the zippers on the shoes don't last too long . she got tired of re- zipping her shoe every 10 mins, coz the zippers wont stay closed. this of course was after use

over time. so if ure hoping they'll hold up just for the cruise , then they might work out fine, but not for too long .

Just thought ill let u know. ;)

-Maddie

Archived