Are waterproof shoes a must have?

SBwannaB

We will cruise at the end of May. We don't plan on hiking, but will do the White PassRailroad excursion in Skagway and flightseeing in Ketchikan and tour the towns. Do we really need waterproof shoes? If not, any recommendations? thanks

You can just use spray on waterproofing with regular shoes. I backpack, and find the best products at outdoors stores. For waterpoofing you can get a 3m product at a supermarket, but products like Nikwax are probably better.

If you hunt around a bit, you might find good waterproof shoes that serve well all around. I have a pair of Keens that I wear into the dining room in the evening. One other thought - though you are not hiking, Alaska seems a bit more rugged. A little ankle support might be a good idea.

Link to Campmor.

Land's End has waterproof shoes for $49. Probably not as good as gore-tex but they seem to be really nice shoes for the price. Lands End conveniently sent me a code for free shipping last week, so I purchased a pair of the Lands End shoes for my son and for my mother. We just received them so I can't speak to the waterproofness, but the quality exceeded my expectations of a $49 shoe.

A good hiking shoe with good traction is all you should need. I've invested in several pairs of hiking shoes and haven't worn boots for years. I think hiking boots are fine for unmaintained trails in remote wilderness areas but for maintained trails, I think "ankle support" isn't really necessary. Boots take up too much weight and space in the luggage.

ETA: Gore-tex or a waterproof shoe has an interior solid waterproof barrier that prevents water from reaching inside the shoe. A spray on waterproofing is a HUGE help, but after treatment, expect shoes to be water resistant, not waterproof. After a spray treatment, I've found the water gets in between the sole and the upper. The spray can't really seal this area. If you are out in rain, the spray works reasonably well. But if you encounter puddles of over an inch, expect you feet to get wet wearing shoes that you have sprayed since the water usually seeps in through the seam between sole and upper.

We have booked 3 boat trips were we could potentially get drenched, so for our family, I decided waterproof shoes were a good investment for our itinerary.

I always recommend taking two pair of walking shoes. IF you hit a wet spell, it will be damp all over. As mentioned, go get some cheap waterproof spray, all you need.

Agree with the above. This isn't rocket science. I'm sure most of us going to AK for the first time have shoes that we can and do wear when it's raining out and cool.

I am fully expecting to get yet, just as I do occasionally at home and will be prepared with a pair of dry socks and dry shoes to slip into when I get back to the ship after a day of probable wet excursions.

And my Budget Queen tip of the day- TA DA!!!! to dry out shoes quicker- loosely place a hand towel in each shoe, the wicking action speeds up drying. :) :) :)

budget queen you are amazing. i never thought of that. thanks:)

I think hiking boots are fine for unmaintained trails in remote wilderness areas but for maintained trails, I think "ankle support" isn't really necessary. Boots take up too much weight and space in the luggage.

Seems to me like a little ankle support would be a good idea. That is, a low top hiking shoes vs. an average athletic shoe. I found this worked well in Europe when my legs were getting tired at the end of the day, and I'm on cobblestones. I've not been to Alaska but is seems like you'd end up in quite a few rugged places even if you're not actually out hiking. What do you think?

Seems to me like a little ankle support would be a good idea.

Ankle support is a must for me and my wife. She badly twisted ankle on Mex cruise (not wearing hightops).

We both use Reebok high top basketball shoes with the aforementioned waterproof spray. They are much lighter than waterproof boots which we also have but won't take.

As a last resort we will use, if necessary, strips of aluminum tape over the vent holes if rain forecast. Kinda looks cool :)

I like BQ idea about towels then hair dryer to completely dry.

I recently bought a pair of Totes through JCP online. It states they are waterproof and we'll find out! They were only about $25.00. I have been wearing them around to break them in before our cruise. I will say this, I wear a size 7 shoe and that is what I ordered. They just fit. My big toe is right at the tip of the shoe. Would not be able to wear really heavy socks with them and for sure will need to be sure toenails are clipped. I did not want to return them for a 7 1/2 because I have a high arch and the bottom of my feet fit perfectly in that area of the shoe. They zip up over the arch. That part was a bit snug when I received them. Since I have been breaking them in by wearing heavy socks, the top of the arch area fits fine and the shoes have stretched. They are now quite comfortable.

Diane

:)Thanks for all of the great suggestions and tips. Unless I find a really good deal on waterproof ones, I will probably just use the waterproofing spray and bring an extra pair. My problem with planning too far in advance is that I start overthinking things and confusing myself!:rolleyes:

We will cruise at the end of May. We don't plan on hiking, but will do the White PassRailroad excursion in Skagway and flightseeing in Ketchikan and tour the towns. Do we really need waterproof shoes? If not, any recommendations? thanks

If you are not hiking, and only doing shore excursions/touring--not sure why you would need waterproofing on your shoes.

Because Inside Passage can be wet and damp. :)

Not sure where the OP will need waterproof shoes. While flightseeing, on the White Pass and Yukon RR, on deck? While I'd make sure that I had synthetic socks and other apparel (not cotton) to keep drier, it just doesn't sound like the OP is intending to do anything that would require waterproof shoes.

does the waterproof spray discolor the shoes?

I don't have a pair of low-cut hiking shoes and was going to get one and waterproof them, but I would want to be able to wear the shoes after the trip as well.

You would have to ask a person in specialty shoe store but something thing like a white leather sneaker will be no problem.

does the waterproof spray discolor the shoes?

I don't have a pair of low-cut hiking shoes and was going to get one and waterproof them, but I would want to be able to wear the shoes after the trip as well.

Sprayed some on white hightops (couldn't get black) and couldn't tell any difference in color. Works well

I bought waterproof shoes for our last Alaska cruise (should have known better after 2 previous trips there). I lugged them along, taking up valuable luggage space and never put them on my feet. Even in the rain in Juneau and Skagway my feet didn't really get wet. I didn't step in puddles and the falling rain didn't go into my shoes. My Gore-tex jacket was much more important to me. Unless you plan to do a lot of hiking in the rain I wouldn't bother with waterproof shoes. Just be sure to bring 2 pair of comfortable shoes big enough to accommodate heavy warm socks.

I appreciated my gore-tex low-cut waterproof shoes even when my feet didn't get wet as they kept them nice and warm when it was colder outside. They didn't take up much room cause I just wore them on the plane. they are comfortable also so no problem with luggage space. I also brought a pair of tennis shoes for walking the deck for exercise, but when out viewing the glaciers, I put my gore-tex shoes on cause they were warmer and I didn't need heavy socks. Glad I bought them and always take them to Alaska. I also wear them on the Kenai Fjords boat trips and the PWS tours out of Whittier.

Well, this upcoming cruise will be my first trip to Alaska, but I did live in Vancouver for over ten years so I know a little bit about wetness. :rolleyes: I might spray some waterproofing stuff on my hikers, but I won't bother buying special waterproof shoes. Never used them in Vancouver, and I walked everywhere, so don't know why I'd need them for a few ports in Alaska and aboard ship.

We use Camp Dry (silicon spray) on raincoats and pants, shoes and umbrellas. It works great. I recently saw a recommendation to water proof soft sided luggage to keep items dry, in case of heavy rains during baggage transfers (unless it is already waterproof). Just do it enough ahead to let items dry a few days before packing. It has a smell until it drys and airs out. Doing this outside is preferrable for me. I would rather wear shoes that are broken in and comfortable, since I plan to be doing some walking in Alaska.:)

Archived