ROATAN - Zip line and Beach tour

cruzy-sue

we just got back yesterday from the Pearl and we did this exact excursion. We felt like it was a good price and a great excursion. there were 9 of us. 4 adults (early 40's) and 5 kids ranging from 9-15. the kids think this was their favorite excursion ever! it is a lot of zips. by the end of them all i was ready to be done (I am not as adventurous as the rest :)). the beach was very refreshing afterwards. the guides were very helpful and pleasant to talk to. I don't think you could go wrong booking this trip! Patti

we just got back yesterday from the Pearl and we did this exact excursion. We felt like it was a good price and a great excursion. there were 9 of us. 4 adults (early 40's) and 5 kids ranging from 9-15. the kids think this was their favorite excursion ever! it is a lot of zips. by the end of them all i was ready to be done (I am not as adventurous as the rest :)). the beach was very refreshing afterwards. the guides were very helpful and pleasant to talk to. I don't think you could go wrong booking this trip! Patti

Did you have to climb high to get to the lines? How far was the beach from the zip line area? Was there any shopping to be had in Roatan? And did you have time to do anything after this excursions - or before?

Sorry for all the questions.

Did you have to climb high to get to the lines? How far was the beach from the zip line area? Was there any shopping to be had in Roatan? And did you have time to do anything after this excursions - or before?

Sorry for all the questions.

we shopped around the port when we returned. we were pretty tired out so we didn't shop long. as to your other question about how high the zips were.....I don't know in feet, but I can promise you several of them were really fast and steep. we did 16 zips in all and there is no climbing to the platforms. wait, I take that back. there are steps leading up to the "biggie" zip but it wasn't many and it was an easy climb on them (maybe 6 steps). at the end you can do the suspension bridge or just walk up the steps to the end. they come and pick you up at the end and drive you back to the beginning. if I can figure out how to upload pictures, I will post a couple to show you.

zipline.jpg.edeca7f4694af94056e59ae432d737b1.jpg

Yes, thank you so much!! Were there any 40-somethings-not-in-th-best-shape doing this?

LOL... that would also apply to DH and me. Good question!

I told our twenty-something and in-pretty-good-shape kids that I would go & be the photographer. But they're making me do the zip-line. Oh well, life is too short. It should be really fun, though.

I am 50 and a little over weight I have a 23 year old that wants to do this also, would yopu recommend it to us? IS there any health concerns that might interfer with doing this? Alos you said this wasn't offered throught the cruise who did you use and what was the cost?

I am 50 and a little over weight I have a 23 year old that wants to do this also, would yopu recommend it to us? IS there any health concerns that might interfer with doing this? Alos you said this wasn't offered throught the cruise who did you use and what was the cost?

The original poster gave this website. Prices and other info is there.

http://roatancruiseexcursions.com/

We're mid to upper 40's, little taking our 22 & 24 year olds. I think I read there is a 250 lb max weight. It looks fun!

Ha! Just noticed I already responded to your post over on the Carnival board. You must think I'm stalking you. LOL...

• 1 month later...

I think i want to use this company too, but how long do you get at the beach. If we get 7 hours on shore (11 - 6) I'd like to make the most of it not to miss my tender but could i stay longer at the beach and take a taxi back to port? My goal is to do activity early then drink a few at the beach for as long as I can take in the local beauty

I booked this tour for my niece (8), sister and myself. There are approx. 14 zip line at various heights. At times we had to keep moving at a quick pace as the platforms can only hold so many people. It was very muggy. the guides took my niece through 12 of the zips and since the last two were shorter, she did them by herself. My sister struggled a little and the guides went with her on about 10 of the lines.

Afterwords we went to beach that was not that far from the zip line office. As a group we decided on what time we wanted to head back to the ship (~5:00pm ship time). The beach was nice but had a lot of peddlers. The restaurant was good. Since we did not have to tender we had enough time to get back on the boat.

Zipline1.jpg.744b2c62f235b13ca3a938b69cf7cdcf.jpg

zipline2.jpg.34f6325a3c3d3f847e145b5059154491.jpg

beach.jpg.8833ecea0bcbdc5bac9056a00d862624.jpg

We booked this last week through shoretrips. Pics are the same place. The lines are fairly new (January 2009 completion). The zip was fantastic. Go early before it gets too hot and too crowded. We passed on the beach and came back to the ship. Driver was awiting for us when we finished. DW and I are late 50s. She's had foot surgery and I have knee issues. We had no problems. I thought the guides were very good. DW says she had to finger wag her guide not to pinch her butt:eek:. Bring money for tips with you on the line. If you try to give it to the guides when you return, I think they have to pool tip money. There's not much at the main station. THey sell beer and soda out of a cooler. The place has baby monkeys and macaws. SIL was an observer and she had a great time with the animals. I've got pics I can post later.

Can't wait to see your pics. We'll be in Roatan in Dec & are thinking about the zip line/beach tour. Our ship will be in port from 9-5. Would you reccomend doing tour on our own like you did or (given our time in port) booking thru cruise line?

Can't wait to see your pics. We'll be in Roatan in Dec & are thinking about the zip line/beach tour. Our ship will be in port from 9-5. Would you reccomend doing tour on our own like you did or (given our time in port) booking thru cruise line?

IMO, I'd either book with Victor Bodden and let one of his guides drive you around to zip line and beach or just see the island or go through shoretrips and book an early time and then come back tot he ship or work out with the local shoretrips person a chance to do something else. West End and West Bay are two different areas that appear to be next to each other but there's no linkage by road plus you may wish to see the eastern end of the island. Victor would offer the most flexibility and the size of your party is dictated by you not whoever else signs up.

We just got back, too and did this thru shoretrips. It was really one of the highlights of the trip - It was pretty scary - but really really beautiful and exhilerating. Ours was a group of about 10 - and when you get to the mountain - you harness up and away you go. The guides are helpful - and all along saying "Take your time" - but they do kind of rush you so the next person behind you can go....

AFterwards the beach was nice - and a local guy came around with his "boat" and offered to take some of us snorkeling for $10 - I was glad I had brought my own snorkel - this was an unplanned snorkel trip - and some of this dude's "equipment" was - how shall I say - not looking real sanitary..... But it was beautiful - However, we loved the snorkeling much more in BElize.....

I kept cash in my pocket - deep down - and the bags were left in the can with th driver.....

While snorkeing - left small bit of cash in my bag at the beach - with driver - it was stitll there when I got back! - but bring cash because there are some great mahogany pieces being peddled all around there. -

Oh, and Roatan hand-rolled cigars if you dare...

I know my 16 year old dd and her friends would like to do this.

Can my dh and I bring them and watch. I do not want to zip line.

Can I watch and get to them when/after they zip? Thank you.

I know my 16 year old dd and her friends would like to do this.

Can my dh and I bring them and watch. I do not want to zip line.

Can I watch and get to them when/after they zip? Thank you.

If you book through shoretrips, you can go as an observer at a lower cost. However, you don't see much after they do the first line. There are some baby monkeys and macaws to see while you wait. Also beer and cold soft drinks. An observer can hold everyone else's stuff. But zippers should take some cash for tips to the guides at the end before they van back.

I founFor what its worth, Island Excursions, which operates this particular zipline and beach excursion is endorsed by the Honduran govt. I booked this excursion for my family in Roatan and also booked our Jamaican excursion with them, as well. By the end of this cruise we'll know a lot more about them. I am relieved to see so many posters have had positive experiences with this excursion.

Love the pictures!

I would have to recommend these folks when thinking about ziplining and private beach tours. Me and my wife just got back from our honeymoon and would have to say that Roatan was our favorite because of these folks and their expertise and hospitality. We went on their Extreme Zipline course as well as the private resort of Fantasy Island and had the best time in the world. Fantasy Island had probably 20 people on the entire beach and provided us w/ a very relaxing day.

I would definitely recommend Pirates of the Caribbean for your Roatan excursion.

Archived