Having kids staying in room across from you?

We are thinking about getting a 2 person balcony, but having our two kids have an inside cabin across from us. They are responsible, but ages 13 and 7. Has anyone done this and have advice on techniques to keep everything comfortable and safe? Thanks for your assistance.

We often did this when our children were younger. You have to book an an adult is each ... but you don't have to sleep that way.

Natually, we made sure ours we in for the night and had the security lock on the door and knew not to open it for any reason whatsoever unless they recognized our voices.

Think, lots depends on the children. It worked well for us. :)

(They hated the time we had adjoing cabins because of Daddy's snoring. :D )

We just got home yesterday from our cruise and that is the way we have done it the past 5 years with our 3 kids....and it has worked out great! Our kids are now 12, 14, and 16. We always have gotten an extra key to their cabin so we can come and go as we want...and check in on them to make sure all is well.....but as long as you have good kids that you trust....should be no problem at all! The kids always enjoy having their "own" room! and us as well!! :)

We booked a balcony & an inside room for our upcoming cruise. Ages

14, 12, 9 & 3. Obviously, we'll have the 3 yr old with us. We did request

a balcony room that sleeps 4 (incase, the 9 yr old wants to come over) &

we are directly across from each other. I wish we could have got an adjoining room, balcony & oceanview, but none were available. Besides being too expensive, I didn't feel comfortable with a balcony for my kids (mainly b/c of my 3 yr old)

We often did this when our children were younger. You have to book an an adult is each ... but you don't have to sleep that way.

Actually you don't have to do this on Royal Caribbean. They allow you to book kids into their own room as long as it is directly across the hall or next door to their parents' cabin.

Actually you don't have to do this on Royal Caribbean. They allow you to book kids into their own room as long as it is directly across the hall or next door to their parents' cabin.

Good to know that's the way it is now! Good Deal! It's been quite a while since I've cruised with children.

Mainly, it was just fine having them across the hall! :)

We tried doing this, but then the youngest (9) got scared and dh wound up having to trade out with her. LOL but really as long as they aren't too young and are trustworthy, I think it is fine. They can always call you if they need anything. Oh..and keep the security lock on of course

I waited till my DS's are 15 and 16 (17 in July). They are in HS now and a quad balcony is just not big enough. They have an inside just down from our Deck 7 corner aft on the LOS. With the big balcony and extra lounge chairs, throw a couple of pillows and a blanket down and they could sleep out there!! :eek:

There is an overhead 3rd if they really want to sleep in our cabin, but I doubt they will! We will most likely do our usual get bkfst from the Windjammer and eat on the balcony. Meet back up at dinner, 12mn bed check, rinse and repeat for the next 7 days!

Jacquelyn :D

They do allow it, but on a recent booking I ended up switching a parent into the kids' room anyway because they will not allow you to combine discounts. (C&A discount for balcony room, SH OBC in the inside room). Something to consider, anyway.

If you are not a shareholder, you may want to use a NC or Savings certificate in the non-balcony room (general advice).

Archived