Whats with the pools

4sariba

I have been on 3 Carnival and 2 Royal. Why is it that the Carnival ships are still using salt water in pools. This was a nice touch in the Royal ships. especially in the H20 zone. Anyone know if they are making plans to do this as well?

All of the Carnival ships I've cruise on have saltwater pools... Why? It's certainly easier to clean - and it has to be cheaper to use filtered and treated saltwater from the sea than have to carry or distill massive amounts of fresh water to maintain the pools safely.

I assume it's a "bottom line" issue....and Carnival is famous for watching the bottom line while providing and excellent cruise experience.

Most people don't mind the saltwater anyway...at least, that's the impression I've picked up on over the years.

Reading info on the new Dream and the Magic, it appears each will have a freshwater pool.....at least one anyway.

What do they do with all the little darlings on the freedom class @ rci when they have nickleodeon host? i gotta belive that there is a fair amout of swim diapers there as well

You don't waht to know.....

Sounds like more Royal Chimp propaganda.

Fresh water + chlorine tales time to be effective. At least in doses that would be safe for humans.

Why would Royal take such chances with passengers health and safety?

It is faster and safer to drain/refill suspect pools nightly.

RCCL has both saltwater and freshwater pools. On most of their ships the pools are saltwater. It's only the Freedom class that has freshwater.

And as to the swim diapers, they are strictly forbidden in the pools and they do watch (there is a deck patrol). The only place babies are allowed is in the Baby Zone on the Freedom of the Seas which is a small, isolated area of the H20 Zone that has a separate water source than the rest of the pools and the H20 Zone.

And don't make it a Carnival vs. RCCL issue. Princess (a Carnival Corp brand) has freshwater pools. HAL (another Carnival Corp brand) has both freshwater and saltwater pools. There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

All of the Carnival ships I've cruise on have saltwater pools... Why? It's certainly easier to clean - and it has to be cheaper to use filtered and treated saltwater from the sea than have to carry or distill massive amounts of fresh water to maintain the pools safely.

I assume it's a "bottom line" issue....and Carnival is famous for watching the bottom line while providing and excellent cruise experience.

Most people don't mind the saltwater anyway...at least' date=' that's the impression I've picked up on over the years.

Reading info on the new Dream and the Magic, it appears each will have a freshwater pool.....at least one anyway.[/quote']

Where did you read that the Dream and Magic are going to have a freshwater pool?

easier to clean ...

It is also a matter of comfort and safety in rought seas. They can drain the pools and make the ship less top-heavy.

I'm taking my 1st cruise this June, so I'm ignorant on this. When you say saltwater pool - do you mean seawater? I have a saltwater pool at home which has a Cl generator to break down the salt into Cl (it's about 20X lower concentration than seawater). I assumed that this was what was in the ship pools. Guess I was wrong??...

Every ship i have ever been on has had saltwater pools.:confused:

Only once on the Tahitian Princess did I have a freshwater pool and it was nice. But that is a tiny ship by most standards, only 700 or so guests on board.

I'm taking my 1st cruise this June, so I'm ignorant on this. When you say saltwater pool - do you mean seawater? I have a saltwater pool at home which has a Cl generator to break down the salt into Cl (it's about 20X lower concentration than seawater). I assumed that this was what was in the ship pools. Guess I was wrong??...

It is seawater........different then your salt water system at home......

Nope, it's pretty much seawater. It's a clean-feeling seawater, though, if that makes sense. Really just feels like water with salt in it - doesn't feel as dirty as ocean water.

Disney Magic and Wonder are also fresh water along with RCCL Freedom, Independence and Liberty of the Seas. And coming up Oasis will have freshwater.

The rest of the RCCL ships are salt water (sea water)

I would prefer that Carnival went to freshwater but it's not a make or break deal for me. ;)

The water in the pool is seawater, but it's filtered, so there's no "stuff" (seaweed, creatures, sand) in it--looks crystal clear! The only way you know it's "salty" is if you taste it! And if you rinse in the shower by the pool, you'll avoid that sticky, crystalline feeling you get when saltwater dries on you.

I agree. I would rather have seawater and know that it's emptied and refilled daily than to swim in the same water all week, even if it was treated. We are talking about approximately 2000 people swimming in that pool.

LOL! I have only been on Disney before and never would have dreamed any cruise ship used salt-water in their pools!LOL Oh well! :)

Why? Have you ever swam in one? Did you know that saltwater or sea water pools were actually the norm at many resorts until the 1950s?

Archived