Mexican Riviera with Kids

dreadlockjack

Hi!

Sorry to ask these questions, but as european, I do not know anything about this region. We are infected by the cruise-virus since two years - it's our ideal family vacation....

We saw some nice cruises for the mexican riviera with the following stops: Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, Ixtapa (Zihuatanejo), Manzanillo

• Is this something for a family with a 5 yr old boy?
  • We used to do excursions on our own spontanously with a hired driver - can one do that at these stops?
  • Is the region safe?
  • Is the region up-to-date with western standarts?

Thanks for the help and best regards from europe!

DJ

Hi!

Sorry to ask these questions, but as european, I do not know anything about this region. We are infected by the cruise-virus since two years - it's our ideal family vacation....

We saw some nice cruises for the mexican riviera with the following stops: Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, Ixtapa (Zihuatanejo), Manzanillo

• We used to do excursions on our own spontanously with a hired driver - can one do that at these stops?
  • Is the region safe?

DJ

A cruise is great for a 5-year old. That being said, all those areas are pretty safe, except, sadly for Zihuatanejo/ Ixtapa, as of now. Don't get me wrong, I love that area, as that is where my wife and I went on our honeymoon. However, there have been quite a few executions in that area.

The other areas that you mentioned have not been hit, and we all hope it stays that way.

We are booked to go to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan and Cabo on the Carnival Splendor on May 31. If violence escalates in Mexico and spreads to those regions, I have no problem having a great time on the ship.

Either way, come on out, soak up some rays and hoist a few cocktails with your Yank friends.:)

I have done this route with my kids quite a lot and we always have a fantastic time. That being said, since you're not familiar with the Mexican Riviera, you want to keep in mind that the water is not like the stunning blue Carib you're used to. The Pacific is not as clear, calm or warm. If I were coming all the way from Europe and wanted a warm weather vacation, I would stick with the Carib (or do Alaska if heading for the U.S. West Coast, which would be a wonderful cruise for a 5 year old).

If you do want to do the Mexican Riviera, I'm only familiar with Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta, but there is plenty for a 5 year old and family to enjoy - and it's easy to spend a day at the beach or a resort within walking distance or to hire a cab at the pier.

Best,

Mia

My 5 yo had a great time on our Mexican Riviera cruise last month. In Cabo, we went on a semi-submarine. In Puerto Vallarta, we went on a pirate ship "Marigalante" for a 6 hour excursion - what a blast! In Mazatlan, we hired a driver for a 3.5 hour tour. She enjoyed that as well, but obviously not as much as the other two ports.

Hi!

• Is the region safe?

DJ

In Mazatlan, I would recommend Randi's Happy Horses. She is great with kids, and the kids love riding horses on the beach.

I've traveled extensively in Mexico, and fell just as safe there as I do in the States. However, just like any where, you need to be aware of your surroundings.

As for western standards, I'm not sure of your definition, but all of the Mexican cities I've been to, including the ones you mentioned, meet the same standards you'll see in most Caribbean ports, and better than many.

Hi all!

That is very useful information for us! Thank you very much! I think, the Mexican Riviera will be the right region for our next cruise!

It will be RCI (first time with them) on the Radiance (with a slide for our son:rolleyes:).

Thanks also for the advise about shore excursions!

Cheers

DJ

Hi there,

We just got back from the RCCL Mexican Rivera last month. We stopped at Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta. I saw ZERO issues at any of the ports and we had a fantastic time at all.

Cabo: I found the water to be very warm but then again I am from up north so different experiences. We went to Lovers Beach via a glass bottom boat that included some snorkeling gear and came back to pick us up at a designated time ($60 for 6 of us). They first took us to a small market where we picked up beverages and snacks. We just hired them from one of the MANY groups there trying to get you at the pier. The beach was lovely and he had a great time just running through the water and playing in the sand there. I should note there are no bathrooms or anything on Lovers beach however so plan accordingly. I was silly and forgot the beach toys I had specifically bought but next time I would bring some small buckets, shovels, etc

Mazatlan: We went to Stone Island via King David tours and again had a wonderful time. We ran on the beach, bought a cheap kite from a vendor, and generally just played in the sand and sunshine. It included meals and an open bar as well as a boat tour around before going to the island. Next time we would jsut grab a water taxi and do it ourselves. For the tour we paid $35 per adult and it included two activities. I think I would have liked picking my own food from the many restaurants and paying for drinks, etc instead. Probably would have been cheaper that way.

Puerto Vallarta: I cannot recommend enough the Sea Life Park in Puerto Vallarta. Not only can you do a dolphin swim but the park itself is VERY appealing for young kids (and adults!) For $69.00 USD my son and I did a "dolphin encounter". As long as you note it in your reservation a child is free of charge when with a paid adult on this encounter. I thought it was going to be a very brief and distant encounter but it turned out we were in the water with the dolphin for around 40 to 45 minutes! My son (4 1/2 years old) loved it and we even got to have a dolphin water fight. It was a great experience for me as well as him and very affordable. We took a cab there from downtown for $15.00. Afterwards we spent time trying out the tube slide and the rest of the park. They have a kid’s area with smaller slides as well as some fun ones where you go down together or alone in tubes. My only regret is that we did not get there sooner and just spend the whole day. Here is a link to the park: http://www.sealifeparkvallarta.com/

You can find info on the dolphin encounter there as well.

Overall it was a total blast and he had a wonderful time. I never felt unsafe in the least.

Hope this gives you some info and feel free to ask any questions :)

My 5 yo had a great time on our Mexican Riviera cruise last month. In Cabo, we went on a semi-submarine. In Puerto Vallarta, we went on a pirate ship "Marigalante" for a 6 hour excursion - what a blast! In Mazatlan, we hired a driver for a 3.5 hour tour. She enjoyed that as well, but obviously not as much as the other two ports.

Good to hear positive reviews of your Cabo and PV excursions - we are doing the exact same things on our 5/31 Mariner cruise w/ our 6-yo DS. We have nothing planned yet for Mazatlan (thought about doing the type of tour you did but I think DS would be bored) so we may just hang out at the beach for the day.

Just returned from Cabo, Mazatlan and PV on the Carnival Splendor. We were travelling with our two DS's 22 mos and 4 yrs. There were no times in any of the ports that I felt unsafe!

In PV we hired a federal cab driver to take us around for 6 hours. We shopped at the Malecon, went to a restaruant a LONG way from the city, and then went to a beach. I would recommend that you NOT do this. Had we of known beforehand where he was taking us we would not have gone. It really was a waste of our day as the restaurant he drove us to was at least 45 minutes to an hour away and the beach was a locals beach with LOTS of vendors and rocky coarse sand. However, I never felt unsafe. I wish we just would have stuck to what we planned to do which was go to one of the resorts on the beach and use their facilites like the Krystal or the Marriott for 25.00 pp.

In Mazatlan we took a pulmona to the water taxi stop and rode it to Stone Island. Accidentally we ended up at the water taxi stop that took us to the wrong side of the island so we had to ride in the back of a truck to the beach. This truck ride included driving through nothing but homes of the locals. We made it to the beach ok and then enjoyed about 5 hours there playing in the water and sand. DS's both loved it! We took the right water taxi back and took another pulmona back to the boat. We used the beach chairs at Victors and DH had the garlic shrimp and said it was delicious. We would do this again in a heartbeat, especially now that we know where we're going.

In Cabo, we took a catamaran ride around Los Arcos and lovers beach. It was my absolute favorite thing of the whole cruise. It was open bar and the views you get are absolutely breath taking! I highly recommend this excursion! After that we walked around the marnia area and started walking to Medano beach but the walk was longer than we thought so once we got there we had to turn around a take a water taxi back to the marina. Medano beach is incredibly beautiful also so you can't go wrong spending the day there either. Just take the water taxi from the marina instead of walking just be prepared to hop out in the water because the taxi's do not dock at Medano.

So I say go for it! We thorougly enjoyed ourselves and are actually thinking of booking to these same ports in December.

That looks like a very nice cruise. I would book it without any reservation. Most of the current safety issues in Mexico are concentrated in the big border cities and not in the resorts further south. I think you'll have a great time. I'll have to look at this cruise as it departs from my home town.

BTW - Radiance class ships are great - not too big while still having lots of on board activities.

Just returned from Cabo, Mazatlan and PV on the Carnival Splendor. We were travelling with our two DS's 22 mos and 4 yrs. There were no times in any of the ports that I felt unsafe!

In PV we hired a federal cab driver to take us around for 6 hours. We shopped at the Malecon, went to a restaruant a LONG way from the city, and then went to a beach. I would recommend that you NOT do this. Had we of known beforehand where he was taking us we would not have gone. It really was a waste of our day as the restaurant he drove us to was at least 45 minutes to an hour away and the beach was a locals beach with LOTS of vendors and rocky coarse sand. However, I never felt unsafe. I wish we just would have stuck to what we planned to do which was go to one of the resorts on the beach and use their facilites like the Krystal or the Marriott for 25.00 pp.

In Mazatlan we took a pulmona to the water taxi stop and rode it to Stone Island. Accidentally we ended up at the water taxi stop that took us to the wrong side of the island so we had to ride in the back of a truck to the beach. This truck ride included driving through nothing but homes of the locals. We made it to the beach ok and then enjoyed about 5 hours there playing in the water and sand. DS's both loved it! We took the right water taxi back and took another pulmona back to the boat. We used the beach chairs at Victors and DH had the garlic shrimp and said it was delicious. We would do this again in a heartbeat, especially now that we know where we're going.

In Cabo, we took a catamaran ride around Los Arcos and lovers beach. It was my absolute favorite thing of the whole cruise. It was open bar and the views you get are absolutely breath taking! I highly recommend this excursion! After that we walked around the marnia area and started walking to Medano beach but the walk was longer than we thought so once we got there we had to turn around a take a water taxi back to the marina. Medano beach is incredibly beautiful also so you can't go wrong spending the day there either. Just take the water taxi from the marina instead of walking just be prepared to hop out in the water because the taxi's do not dock at Medano.

So I say go for it! We thorougly enjoyed ourselves and are actually thinking of booking to these same ports in December.

We are doing the same cruise in 54 days:D what did you think of the ship? We are traveling with my DS 8. He has been looking forward to it. We did this itinerary with Princess and never felt unsafe and at the time it was just my DS and I.

We are doing the same cruise in 54 days:D what did you think of the ship? We are traveling with my DS 8. He has been looking forward to it. We did this itinerary with Princess and never felt unsafe and at the time it was just my DS and I.

We LOVED the ship! It is somewhat confusing to navigate especially in the aft but once we got the hang of it we enjoyed it. You can't get all the way back to the Gold Pearl dining room from any of the floors above 4 so it was a bit of a pain to get there but that is my ONLY complaint. We were in a spa balcony room on deck 11 and loved the location. In fact I was just telling my DH that I think we were spoiled by going on this ship. We want to do the 2 day in Cabo on the Elation but I'm so afraid I won't like the ship as much. Enjoy your trip, we had SOOO much fun!

We will be on the Splendor in October with our 12, 9 and 2 year old. Two questions on your excursions. Can you explain the water taxi confusion so we don't make the same mistake in Mazatlan? We also are considering going to Stone Island.

Did you book your catamaran through the ship or privately in Cabo? If private, which tour company did you use? I know we arrive early that day and wasn't sure if the private tours would accomodate such an early sailing. We have LOVED our catamaran excursions on past cruises.

We will be on the Splendor in October with our 12, 9 and 2 year old. Two questions on your excursions. Can you explain the water taxi confusion so we don't make the same mistake in Mazatlan? We also are considering going to Stone Island.

Did you book your catamaran through the ship or privately in Cabo? If private, which tour company did you use? I know we arrive early that day and wasn't sure if the private tours would accomodate such an early sailing. We have LOVED our catamaran excursions on past cruises.

My DH had done a lot of research on walking to the water taxi but the Mazatlan port area is somewhat confusing and he started doubting himself so we started asking for directions to the water taxi and that's how we ended up at the wrong one. When leaving the terminal walk out to the main road and head to the LEFT. The water taxi stop is located about three blocks down on your LEFT side, you will see a dirt road that heads towards the water and the taxi stand is at the end of that road. Once you get to Stone Island just head straight over the berm and viola, the beach. We walked to the end and set up at Victors. There is another water taxi stand when you turn and walk to the RIGHT, but do not take this one as it ends up in the Mexican village. If you don't want to walk the three blocks there are pulmonas everwhere that will take you to the water taxi for a very low price, just make sure they take you to the one you want to go to. We were tired after a long day at the beach and the pulmona was a welcome sight!

As far as the catamaran, we booked this through Carnival for 29.00 pp. I do believe they had an earlier sailing through Carnival but by the time we booked the only thing they had left was the 9:00 sailing. I know this because there were people on the catamaran when it came to get us. There were tons of other catamarans at the marina that could probably be booked through their own website, maybe just check on google. I do know one in particular that was really popular was the Pez Gato. Just to clarify, our catamaran was a double decker.

Let me know if you have any other questions as now I have to live vicariously through everyone else since ours is over. :(

Archived