Just cruised with a 17 month old--our experience

cantwait2cruise

She is 18 months right now, and its tough - very active, can't communicate too well, and prone to toddler meltdowns for no apparent reason, I'm hoping it improves a little before our trip, but if not we'll manage it. I refuse to stop living just because we have a little one (but we do make necessary adjustments along the way)

I think what helped us was that we tried keeping the kids well rested while on the cruise. Having the stroller (or two) helped since they'd nap in the strollers. Just had to walk them around a deck somewhere (or on the Royal Promenade on the Explorer).

We were also kinda fortunate that the kids either enjoyed the nightly shows (on Disney) or they just fell asleep in the middle of dinner in the stroller, and stayed asleep during the show (on RCI), but we did sit in the back just in case we needed to make an early exit.

The naps were key to keeping them from melting down at dinner. Whether it was retreating to the room to decompress (remove distractions) or walking them around in the stroller in the mid-afternoon, it would keep them from going mental later in the evening.

Cruisegirl06 - just a tip for the buffet that I have been using for years (even now that the kids are older)

As soon as you arrive at the buffet - find a table! Then the baby and one person stays at the table. The other person becomes the "runner" for the food for the toddler and herself.

Then once that tray of toddler food and the adult food is done - that person sits down - starts feeding toddler (and herself) and the other person can go get their food now.

Even now that the kids are older - one of us stays at the table while the rest of us get our food.

It's less chaotic if the toddler stays seated and the adults do the running. :D

Well, first I'm sorry this was a stressful experience for you. I can realate. Last year we traveled for 6 weeks in Europe with our children who were 8 months and 3. It was a crazy but great expereince. Here's how I look at travel with kids:

I'd rather change diapers in Paris! I will be rocking a baby to sleep, and begging a toddler to please try using the potty, and cleaning baby food off my blouse, anyway and well I would rather do it in Paris, or the carribean, or somewhere awesome. Travel with children can be difficult, but if you can curb your expectations you can have a great trip with kids of any age.

• 2 weeks later...

I have to say traveling / cruising with my 15 month old was a breeze. I think it really depends on the child personality. I also have a routine at home- nap times ect but even with a 7 hour time difference she adjusted within the first day.

I also think you should have realistic expectation... Any time away from home with the little one - usually ends up to be more work than at home. Everything at home is setup for them... And you dont have to watch their every move... Things like washing bottles, meal times ect tends to be more complicating...

If you really want to travel and see different places with a toddler ... Cruising was ideal for us.

We just booked a September cruise on the Carnival Dream and will be taking our daughter who will be 14 months at the time. We didn't get to go on our annual cruise last year and were anxious to book one this year. I didn't think about some things before booking, like not being able to go in the pool, but we only have 2 sea days, so we should be okay. Luckily, my wife's parents are coming too, so they will help out. She's generally pretty calm now (at almost 7 months), so I'm hoping her personality doesn't change until then.

We cruised with our baby at 6 months and it was a different experience but fairly straightforward as he was only just starting to crawl. We have been looking at a 12 night med cruise for later in the year and he will be nearly 2 this time. He has always been a good traveller and adapts to different places well but he is really developing fast and is pretty quick on his toes.

I've booked a 2 night sampler cruise out of Southampton in May to see how he (or more likely us) get on with him on the ship. I'm hoping it goes well as we both love our cruise holidays.

Although I think it will be much easier once he is potty trained and able to be more involved in the kids activities onboard.

Archived