NCL in Charleston

sue5002

Ok I usually check this page daily, just to see if NCL will bring another boat to CHarleston. I went on my first cruise in February, and I loved it. The only problem is the Majesty will not be back next year and NCL has yet to replace her. Has anyone heard any good news about a replacement? Hopeful in NC

Unless NCL suddenly changes the itinerary of one of their ships, or suddenly buys another, Charleston homeport status for NCL will likely follow Houston, none.

Here's the NCL homeport status this winter and next.

...........................2009-2010...2010-2011

Norwegian Dawn > Miami...Miami

Norwegian Gem > New York City...New York City

Norwegian Jade > Barcelona...Barcelona

Norwegian Jewel > Miami...New York City

Norwegian Pearl > Miami...Miami

Norwegian Sky > Miami...Miami

Norwegian Spirit > New Orlelans...New Orleans

Norwegian Star > Los Angeles...Los Angeles

Norwegian Sun > South America...Port Canaveral

Pride of America > Honolulu...Honolulu

Norwegian Epic > Not In Service....Miami

In 2010-2011 NCL changes the homeports for two ships, the Sun and Jewel. I doubt NCL would have moved the Jewel to Charleston, but they certainly could have moved the Sun. That they didn't points out the fact NCL really isn't interested in doing so. It appears NCL believes Port Canaveral will make a better homeport for the Sun than Charleston.

It appear Charleston has joined the ranks of Houston as another former home port NCL cruised from. A very sad development indeed.

So sad to hear that...I was hoping to catch a cruise to Bermuda from Charleston and spend some pre-cruise time there. I was in Charleston for a few days last year, and I absolutely loved the city. We stayed out on the Isle of Palms and had a wonderful time. I was hoping to go back someday and when I learned NCL used Charleston as one of her ports, I was ready to go. :) Now, I'm just sad. :(

DT

Same here. We were hoping to sail to Bermuda from Charleston. It was the ideal location to leave from since it would be a short drive from NC. Not to mention Charleston is one of my favorite places! It has so much to offer - great food, night life, history, shopping.

I just got a flier in the mail from NCL today that listed Charleston as having cruises leaving for Bermuda (as well as NYC, Boston, Philadelphia and Baltimore, if I recall). I admit that I pitched it immediately and didn't look at it too closely since I've got no $$ for cruising at the moment, but I'm sure that it said Charleston.

ee

I just got a flier in the mail from NCL today that listed Charleston as having cruises leaving for Bermuda (as well as NYC, Boston, Philadelphia and Baltimore, if I recall). I admit that I pitched it immediately and didn't look at it too closely since I've got no $$ for cruising at the moment, but I'm sure that it said Charleston.

ee

There are only six more Majesty cruises left from Charleston, three to the Bahamas and three to Bermuda. By the end of May NCL will be leaving Charleston.

There are only six more Majesty cruises left from Charleston, three to the Bahamas and three to Bermuda. By the end of May NCL will be leaving Charleston.

Can't do it this year, but wanted to do in 2010. :(

DT

Carnival is bringing in a bigger ship to do Charleston. Too bad for NCL. I lived just out side of charleston for 20 years, What a great city to visit. and clean, you best believe it. Went on the Majesty 6 years ago. Loved it, wnated to do it again in 2010. But no....:(

Celebrity is bringing one of their ships too. I thinks it's the Zenith, to start sailing in 2010 for a 10 day southern, I believe.

Majesty is leaving the fleet after she finishes out this years sailings in the Fall.

I'm none too happy about NCL pulling out of some of the eastern ports. I did find out, however, that you can fly from Columbia, SC to Orlando with allegiantair.com for unbelievable fares.. as low as $40 one way. Port Canaveral's close to Orlando, so you can cruise the NCL Sun, which I hear is a beautiful cruise ship.

Like many of us, freestyle has spoiled us.. can you imagine set dinner times and having to dress up? LOL

Celebrity is bringing one of their ships too. I thinks it's the Zenith, to start sailing in 2010 for a 10 day southern, I believe.

No Zenith...it was sold about three years ago, redone (lost all it's warm charm) painted all white so she looks like a ROM cruise ship now and she's sailing under Pullmantur in Europe. And to add insult to injury, she has Pullmantur in huge orange letters on her hull.:(:(:(

If you like the Majesty, you would have LOVED the Zenith, all standard cabins were 172 sq.ft.

Celebrity will be sailing the Summit to Bermuda in 2010 so that's probably the ship for the Caribbean as well.

No Zenith...it was sold about three years ago, redone (lost all it's warm charm) painted all white so she looks like a ROM cruise ship now and she's sailing under Pullmantur in Europe. And to add insult to injury, she has Pullmantur in huge orange letters on her hull.:(:(:(

If you like the Majesty, you would have LOVED the Zenith, all standard cabins were 172 sq.ft.

Celebrity will be sailing the Summit to Bermuda in 2010 so that's probably the ship for the Caribbean as well.

Thank you, my dear... Where I lack brain cells (you know i worry about that) you make up for it.. what are great friends for!! Hugs.

Thank you, my dear... Where I lack brain cells (you know i worry about that) you make up for it.. what are great friends for!! Hugs.

We make a good team.:)

Did you get the impression that the Zenith just might have been our favorite ship?;)

Carnival is bringing in a bigger ship to do Charleston. Too bad for NCL. I lived just out side of charleston for 20 years, What a great city to visit. and clean, you best believe it. Went on the Majesty 6 years ago. Loved it, wnated to do it again in 2010. But no....:(

Its not like NCL didn't give any warning. Her schedule of itineraries have been known for a year, since last April I believe. The writing on the wall of her demise as a NCL ship has been known for a few years as well.

The cruise consultant on Jade told us that the city of Charleston significantly increased its port taxes and fees, prompting NCL to decide to stop using the port.

While there's no doubt a grain of truth to that, it really an oversimplistic explanation. Much of the increase in taxes and fees would just be passed along to NCL cruisers in the form of higher fares and taxes. The real problem is that an older, smaller ship with fewer amenites than modern cruise ships would not be an attractive buy at a higher price point, so the ship would end up cruising with too many empty staterooms to be economically viable.

While there's no doubt a grain of truth to that, it really an oversimplistic explanation. Much of the increase in taxes and fees would just be passed along to NCL cruisers in the form of higher fares and taxes. The real problem is that an older, smaller ship with fewer amenites than modern cruise ships would not be an attractive buy at a higher price point, so the ship would end up cruising with too many empty staterooms to be economically viable.

BINGO, give the man a cigar!

Carnival will not be home porting in Charleston just doing a handful of cruises (which they already do now). Celebrity on the other hand during the winter months will be homeporting in Charleston with the Mercury starting 2010.

Carnival will not be home porting in Charleston just doing a handful of cruises (which they already do now). Celebrity on the other hand during the winter months will be homeporting in Charleston with the Mercury starting 2010.

The Mercury is a fine ship too.

celebrity-mercury.jpg

Mercury Statistics:

Year Built 1997

Refurbished 2002 & 2007

Tonnage 77,713 tons

Length 866 feet

Beam 106 feet

Passenger Capacity 1,870

Total Inside Cabins 297

Total Outside Cabins 636

Cabins & Suites w/ verandas 220

Suites 50

A little more than a third of its outside cabins have balconies. Although two years older than the Sky, it's approximately the same size with approximately the same number of cabins.

Sky statistics:

Year Built 1999

Refurbished 2004

Tonnage 77,104 tons

Length 848 feet

Beam 106 feet

Passenger Capacity 2,002

Total Inside Cabins 429

Total Outside Cabins 572

Cabins & Suites w/ verandas 257

Suites 14

Archived