Dress code for kids

Parents are asked to have the kids follow the same dress suggestion...which is no shorts in the dining room. ;) It's kind of cool in that dining room anyway...so a pair of pants would be more comfortable for the kids.

Just bring a couple of pairs of khakis. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I agree it should be the same but it also depends on age. You just said "kids" is that under 5, 6-11, 12-17? I think that also makes a huge difference. Nice shorts and a cute top I would say is fine for an under 10. pre teens/ Teens should be same as adults.

I thought there no jeans were allowed in the MDR? Jean are OK?

Jeans are not prohibitted on Royal Caribbean and are fairly common on casual nights. Most people wear them with a nice shirt and shoes though, not old, raggedy jeans with a t-shirt and rubber flip flops or gym shoes.

Jeans are not prohibitted on Royal Caribbean and are fairly common on casual nights. Most people wear them with a nice shirt and shoes though, not old, raggedy jeans with a t-shirt and rubber flip flops or gym shoes.

I paid more for the Ragged Look.Its the style Baby! Those looking for tips will not deny you access to the Dining Room.My Jeans are the Rage as are my Vans.I dress to be me,to look hot for the babes.My goal is to have fun on the Balcony,the mile high club at sea.Party ON!

I paid more for the Ragged Look.Its the style Baby! Those looking for tips will not deny you access to the Dining Room.My Jeans are the Rage as are my Vans.I dress to be me,to look hot for the babes.My goal is to have fun on the Balcony,the mile high club at sea.Party ON!

It's funny cuz this guy is 74...lol

My wife and I worried about this for months before we sailed. Bought them nice, but cheap, suits for formal and smart trousers and shirts for the other nights.

They had such a great time in the kids clubs we only actually saw them twice for dinner on the two formal nights we had. They never wore any of the other smart clothes we got them.

Whatever :rolleyes:

Since when is it okay for ANYONE to wear jeans in the MDR, any night (with the exception of the 1st, since not everyone has their luggage)??? I miss the days of classy cruising.

SilverSea, Here I come!

Since people decided for themselves that they want to be comfortable, wear what they like & not have to be told what is appropriate clothing to wear. IT won't be long before RCI changes their official standing but for now enjoy whatever you want to wear.

Since people decided for themselves that they want to be comfortable, wear what they like & not have to be told what is appropriate clothing to wear. IT won't be long before RCI changes their official standing but for now enjoy whatever you want to wear.

See, that's the problem today - people really don't know how to dress appropriately for the occasion so they have to be told. I find it pretty sad myself that people will go into a lovely formal dining room with formal service dressed like they just finished digging in the garden.

Now, I swore I would never be one of those people who would be offended by the attire on another patron in a restaurant but recently DH and I were dining in a relatively pricey steakhouse (our bill for the two of us was over $200 and we didn't go crazy). There was a family seated nearby - father and two late-teen/early 20's sons - all wearing baseball caps throughout the entire meal. Try as I might - I've got to admit I took offense.

See, that's the problem today - people really don't know how to dress appropriately for the occasion so they have to be told. I find it pretty sad myself that people will go into a lovely formal dining room with formal service dressed like they just finished digging in the garden.

Now, I swore I would never be one of those people who would be offended by the attire on another patron in a restaurant but recently DH and I were dining in a relatively pricey steakhouse (our bill for the two of us was over $200 and we didn't go crazy). There was a family seated nearby - father and two late-teen/early 20's sons - all wearing baseball caps throughout the entire meal. Try as I might - I've got to admit I took offense.

First let me say that I don't go to $200 for two restaurants to begin with. It's out of my price range & I've got better things to do with $200 than spend it on 1 meal.

Secondly, from my observations the casual dress that I've seen on cruise ships doesn't come close to the relaxed attire you've described but more like Dockers & a Golf shirt on a formal evening & not something that people would be digging in the garden with. I've been on many cruises with many cruise lines & have never been offended by lack of dress- NEVER. It's been a while since we've cruised RCI but unless things have really gone downhill (which I seriously doubt) I have a feeling that I'll be very comfortable on our next cruise with them this summer.

See, that's the problem today - people really don't know how to dress appropriately for the occasion so they have to be told..

Yes, but unfortunately dress codes don't help that problem. You can't put rules to define good taste. At work I end up spending way too much time with dress code issues -- there are pleanty of things that are technically within the written dress code that are quite questionable, and other things that I have been forced to send people home for that are (at least in my opinion) very nice looking outfits (the woman's dress suit with "cropped" pants)

. . . There was a family seated nearby - father and two late-teen/early 20's sons - all wearing baseball caps throughout the entire meal. Try as I might - I've got to admit I took offense.

While I'll overlook alot of dress that pushes the edge of appropriateness, the baseball cap phenomonon is one of my pet peeves as well -- When Bum Phillips, coach of the then Houston Oilers, was asked why he never wore his signature cowboy hat at home games, replied that his mother had taught him that gentlemen never wear hats indoors. If Bum can consider the Astrodome "indoors" -- why is it that other people cannot figure out that rule in their day-to-day lives? Then of course, there are probably few men out there now days that Coach Phillips' mom would consider "gentlemen" any way!:D

All in all though, I'm inclined to agree with rcacace -- while dress standards have relaxed over the years on RCI, I have not really seen too much that pushes the edge beyond "casual" to "sloppy"

While I'll overlook alot of dress that pushes the edge of appropriateness, the baseball cap phenomonon is one of my pet peeves as well -- When Bum Phillips, coach of the then Houston Oilers, was asked why he never wore his signature cowboy hat at home games, replied that his mother had taught him that gentlemen never wear hats indoors. If Bum can consider the Astrodome "indoors" -- why is it that other people cannot figure out that rule in their day-to-day lives? Then of course, there are probably few men out there now days that Coach Phillips' mom would consider "gentlemen" any way!:D

While I don't wear hats outside, let alone inside...I just really don't get why there is such an issue with people wearing hats indoors in general. Seems like a significantly outdated "rule". A hat is an accessory just like any number of other things that can be worn.

Drinking and posting messages don't mix :rolleyes:

First- I think certain destinations seem to steer the "norm" regarding how comfortable people are. For example, on our Western Caribbean Cruise, people were progressively more dressed down. Perhaps constant sun exposure and parties onboard led to a more relaxed environment.

Secondly- I agree that the hat rule seems 'dated' but I find it most helpful to ask the waitstaff when I am wearing a hat- "Excuse me, but will it offend anyone if I leave my hat on during the meal?" They are usually the best judge of the dining room environment. Seriously, I havent worn a hat at dinner onboard... seems a bit silly in the MDR.

Third- There were so many people in the MDR and the decor was so beautiful and I was so hungry and anxious to visit with friends at the table that I rarely noticed ANYONE else in the room.

IMO- As long as kids are clean and kept with their table group, I dont think ANYONE is going to notice they are wearing jeans. It seems like children get a "pass" anyway. I certainly am NOT going to ruin my dinner by arguing with my teenager right before dinner. ;)

While I don't wear hats outside, let alone inside...I just really don't get why there is such an issue with people wearing hats indoors in general. Seems like a significantly outdated "rule". A hat is an accessory just like any number of other things that can be worn.

My two cents. I feel a woman wearing a hat as a fashion accessory is fine. But when you have kids wearing a baseball cap in a dining room, that's kinda of silly. I wouldn't say it's the kids fault though. The parents should know what is appropriate and what isn't.

Other things not appropriate in the MDR

1) Clown making balloon animals.

2) Waiters listening to their iPods.

3) Heelies (shoes that have wheels on them)

4) Adults way past their alcohol limit.

5) Metallica shirts.

Just for starters.....you may want to add on :rolleyes:

My two cents. I feel a woman wearing a hat as a fashion accessory is fine. But when you have kids wearing a baseball cap in a dining room, that's kinda of silly. I wouldn't say it's the kids fault though. The parents should know what is appropriate and what isn't.

See, that makes no sense to me. A guy can't wear a hat as an accessory in the MDR but it would be appropriate for a woman?

See, that makes no sense to me. A guy can't wear a hat as an accessory in the MDR but it would be appropriate for a woman?

Yes. But a woman can wear a lot of things guys can't. :)

Not trying to get anyone mad. Like I said...this is my two cents. Other people have money they can throw in here also.

Yes. But a woman can wear a lot of things guys can't. :)

Not trying to get anyone mad. Like I said...this is my two cents. Other people have money they can throw in here also.

All I'm saying is that goes to show you how ridiculous the general rule really is.

Other things not appropriate in the MDR

1) Clown making balloon animals.

2) Waiters listening to their iPods.

3) Heelies (shoes that have wheels on them)

4) Adults way past their alcohol limit.

5) Metallica shirts.

Just for starters.....you may want to add on :rolleyes:

Hats for women (not "caps") have always been in good fashion and good manners.

As for baseball caps for men indoors -- two words "Ron Howard" should suffice. The guy is a great director, but he went through that period when he wore a baseball cap 24/7 and in most cases he just looked silly (there is NO baseball cap that looks good with a tux on the red carpet). I don't think he fooled anyone -- he was/is "folically challenged"

No caps indoors just makes sense -- the baseball cap was invented to keep sun out of the wearer's eyes during the game and to unify the team (uniform and unify are from the same "root"). Neither of those two original purposes are served by wearing the cap indoords :). As to being an "outdated" issue -- I think not. I prefer to be able to look a person in the eye when I address them -- the visor on the cap makes that difficult. Making eye contact improves the communications process.

Those little woolen-type caps do not have the visor issue -- I still think it odd that someone would want/need to wear a knit hat indoors (I'm generally warm enough) but hey.

As to the "list" (based upon things I have unfortunately been subjected to during "fine" dining experiences):

6) multiple facial piercings (particularly those that challenge the piercee's ability to chew with his/her mouth properly closed)

7) any article of clothing that bares the wearer's hairy back/shoulders

8) T-shirts with pictures of the wearer's beagles that lit up and blinked

All I'm saying is that goes to show you how ridiculous the general rule really is.

True. But women wear hats that compliment what they are wearing. Guys wear the same hat no matter what else they are wearing.

Archived