West coast Mexico cruises in winter

pseudochicken

Hi!

We have only done Caribbean and Alaskan cruises and are considering trying a west coast, 7-day Mexico cruise with HAL. (never cruised with HAL before). We were wondering what to expect and what the weather is like in February or March of 2010. Currently, we're leaning towards a Caribbean cruise again, but before we commit we want to see if a Mexico cruise would be something nice and refreshing.

I hear it can be on the colder side compared to the Caribbean when out at sea in the winter. Is this true? What about wind, rain, seas?

How are the ports of call? We typically like to explore the destination and stay off the beaten path (although the occasional beach stay is always welcome). Any info would be great! :)

Cheers!

The HAL Oosterdam cruise is our favorite. Did it in Jan 2006 - great warm weather after the first day at sea. Didn't have any rain and really enjoyed the warm weather with low humidity. Last time we did it in mid-October and it was too hot and humid for us.

Next up - back to the MR on the Oosterdam for the 3rd time. Again, we'll do it in January.

Only the 1st and last seaday can be chilly. But the other days will be nice, dry and sunny.

Special is that during those wintermonths humpbackwhales will be in the region. See them from the ship or better make a whalewatchtour.

For more weatherdetails http://www.wunderground.com

We sailed the Oosterdam in January 07. Weather was nice and warm the day after we left San Diego. You will not see the beautiful pale blue Caribbean water, rather dark gloomy looking water in the Pacific :D

Beach water is still rather cold at that time of year. Swimming we did on the ship.

I did the Elation out of San Diego in June of 2007 and the Oosterdam again out of SD in October of 2008. Great time was had on both cruises but I told dh if I did the MR or Baja again it would be in the winter months, waaaay too hot for me:eek:

IMHO- save March and April for the Caribbean. Do Mexico in the fall at the end of the Atlantic Hurricane season. The temps don't really change all that much in the air, but the water is still warm Oct-Dec.

Yeah, I was under the impression that Mexico cruises were best for the fall months. One, to avoid the hurricane season, but two because the weather is warm to hot the entire time and the water should be still warm. The more I think about it, since the cruise has to be in March, a Caribbean cruise out of Tampa is becoming the more logical choice. Airfare by Southwest is way cheaper to Tampa than to San Diego, too.

Archived