Confronting Chair Hogs!! Your experiences...

Riley's Mom

ALthough I never have had the reason to confront a chair hog...by removing their items and taking the chair ...

I would like to know if any of you have done this and had the chair-hog confront you when they returned to the now occupied chair....

After hearing about how crowded the Liberty has been I may have to do this in order to have a chair for myself..

All replies are appreciated.

Carla

That chair hog lit into me with all fours, there was spit flying, curse words, my heritage was questioned and my parents flamed. It was real ugly, that chair hog would not back down, and if she had not been 70 I would have hit her back.

I, personally didn't need to resort to removing things from chairs but I did see someone else do it. I was watching from my chair as a couple placed items on chairs right next to the pool and then left. It was over an hour and they had not returned. Another man, sitting in the chairs because all the pool seats were taken or "saved" waited the full hour then went up and removed their stuff and sat down. He did not throw the stuff around but placed them on a nearby table so they wouldn't get wet or lost.

When the couple finally did come back, after almost 2 hours, they were not happy that their chairs were gone. The women asked the sitting man who moved their stuff. He said he didn't know, that he had been sitting there for almost an hour and nothing was on the chair when he sat down.

I thought he handled it perfectly and I suppose others agreed with me. I wasn't the only one who saw this happen and no one told the "saving" couple what he did. The next day I saw the couple again. They came out to the pool at the later time with their stuff with them. I guess the day before taught them a lesson.

The very few times I've found it necessary to remove pig-type items from a saved lounge chair, I've never had a confrontation.

There were a few Hogs who came at me snorting and rooting around for trouble.

Always one to keep my cool, and completely "unruffle-able" and totally unable to be intimidated, I suggested they go file a complaint with the Purser's Desk. Then, ignored them.

They usually go away when you don't scratch their back.....

I've never removed someone's items from a chair. Heck, I don't even pay attention to how long someone's things have been on a chair...I'm too busy having a good time. I've always managed to find a chair somewhere.

I sat down on a chair that had been saved by a teenager who had been saving it for her family since 8 am (this was around 11) she was saving several. I tried to show her the signs posted all over stating no saving of chairs.

Everyone around me ripped into me big time, stating I was picking on this poor girl. Trust me, she was holding her own against me!

I stood my ground, as I felt I had paid to be on that cruise like everyone else, and should have had a chair to sit in.

I sat down on a chair that had been saved by a teenager who had been saving it for her family since 8 am (this was around 11) she was saving several. I tried to show her the signs posted all over stating no saving of chairs.

Everyone around me ripped into me big time, stating I was picking on this poor girl. Trust me, she was holding her own against me!

I stood my ground, as I felt I had paid to be on that cruise like everyone else, and should have had a chair to sit in.

Bravo!!!!:D:D

On the Liberty I sat down with a lady at 8 a.m and she put her towels down on 2 chairs and said she was going to get her daughter. All day and I mean all day they laid empty. 2 of our dinner tablemates walked by looking for a chair, it was 3 oclock. My DH moved their stuff to a single chair at the end of the row so our friends could sit by us. At 4 pm two teenagers came, found their stuff and were livid. Everyone in the row just laughed which made them madder. They still had a chair but not 2!! They just huffed and walked away. We kept telling people all day long to sit there as no one showed up, but no one did till we moved the stuff!!

Turn the stuff left on the chair to the lost and found. But eating the oranges and soiling the towels looks like a real winner. And I will own that old lady next time.

========================================================

Poor You!

What the heck did this "old lady" do to you???

Try to belittle you or yell at you,etc.???

Carla

. He said he didn't know, that he had been sitting there for almost an hour and nothing was on the chair when he sat down.

I thought he handled it perfectly and I suppose others agreed with me. I wasn't the only one who saw this happen and no one told the "saving" couple what he did.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Priceless... This is a great way to handle the "chair-hogs", I never thought about blaming it on "no-one"....Great Idea. Keeps you out of trouble but gets the point across to the offenders.

I guess I don't understand the allure of having to be by the pool. If I want to see the "entertainment", I can watch from elsewhere. If I am serious about getting some rays, there are lots of chairs elsewhere. Just my 2 cents.:rolleyes:

I guess I don't understand the allure of having to be by the pool. If I want to see the "entertainment", I can watch from elsewhere. If I am serious about getting some rays, there are lots of chairs elsewhere. Just my 2 cents.:rolleyes:

I think this may be something that a lot of people don't really understand. I'll tell you my senario and maybe that will help clear up why some people really do need to be by the pool area and it's so irritating to see 30 or so empty chairs with towels and shoes in them.

I have four kids and they, of course, love to hang out at the pool, waterslide, areas on sea days. We typically get up there before 9 and every single chair around the pool area has shoes, magazines, or towels on them, but no bodies. I simply pick the stuff up and hand it off to an attendant and tell them that someone must have lost their things or forgotten about them.

Even with 4 kids we NEVER take more than 2 chairs. The kids are either in the pool or just sitting on the ends of our chairs for a few minutes. I think it's rude to have a chair for a kid, too. They're not going to use it like the adults would, so yes, I'm just as concientious as I expect others to be.

I need to be by the pool to watch my kids and make sure that they are safe. So...I don't feel one moment of guilt about picking someone's things up and moving them while they sleep the morning away. It's abysmally rude and I just don't understand the logic for anyone to think that they have any right to hold a chair right beside the pool while they run around doing other things.

Recently, my hubby and I took a short cruise without the kids and we intentionally found chairs on the upper decks because there are cases where people do need to be close to the pool and we respect that. It would be great if others would do the same. Not to mention easier for them to keep their belongings if I'm on the ship with them, they're hogging a chair and my kids are with me. I'd say I've moved hoggers junk no less than 40 times and will be doing it the next time I'm on a ship if they're piled up all over the pool deck. :D

That chair hog lit into me with all fours, there was spit flying, curse words, my heritage was questioned and my parents flamed. It was real ugly, that chair hog would not back down, and if she had not been 70 I would have hit her back.

I fell out of my chair and laughed when I read this!!!

I totally agree about the kids and loungers---one chair is ample---they never used it for "sunning or reading" or things like that---it's simply a place to put a towel! Good for you for not taking a chair for each child.

Generally, I don't WANT to be right next to the pool--it's noisy and very crowded. I generally will go up a deck, where I can have a bit of space, and I can easily walk down to the pool when I need to take a dip---gives me a bit of exercise, and I get to "sight-see" along the way!

I read somewhere that if you can capture a chair hog you can use them on the weekends and take them into the forest and they can sniff out truffles for you. Anyone done this?

This is true....but you may not want the truffles. You see, the chair hog will find the truffles, but they will leave a little......ummmmm...deposit...so they can come back and get them later.

We almost had a confrontation on our last trip, but we just said the chairs were empty when we got there :) The guy found another chair somewhere else and couldn't keep his eyes off us.

We were there for a good 2 hours before he showed up!! SAD :(

I witnessed a confrontation on the Serenity Deck on the Fantasy. Two couples (not together) had gotten chairs fairly early in the morning, but around lunchtime, both of the women disappeared. They were gone for hours. Finally, a woman and her daughter tried to take the chairs and both of the men jumped up and started yelling that those were their wives chairs! Real in-your-face stuff!

The newcomers insisted that no one had been sitting in them for hours, while one of the men kept saying they had been there all day, and anyway, the daughter wasn't old enough to be back there. This went on for quite awhile (and really ruined the Serenity for me! :rolleyes:) They all sort of bullied the attendant, but eventually, the newcomers left. The men tried to pull us into it all, saying that they had been there for hours just like us, 9:45am right?, and I just said that we had been there since 8:30am and went back to my book.

Finally the women came back and the husbands related their terrible tale about how someone almost took their chairs.

And then the women left, again!

Does Carnival not watch for this? I just got off The Liberty of the Seas on Royal Caribbean and they had Deck Patrol. The Deck Patrol would watch for people who laid down towels and walked away. They then marked a time on the chair and after 30-60 minutes, removed the persons things and put it in a plastic bag and put it on shelves. This worked great! I was up at 8 AM and watched them do this to many people.

I am on the Carnival Boards because we were considering a Carnival Cruise...

Does Carnival not watch for this? I just got off The Liberty of the Seas on Royal Caribbean and they had Deck Patrol. The Deck Patrol would watch for people who laid down towels and walked away. They then marked a time on the chair and after 30-60 minutes, removed the persons things and put it in a plastic bag and put it on shelves. This worked great! I was up at 8 AM and watched them do this to many people.

Surprised by your RCI experience, as that's not what I've seen on the 2 cruises with them. On the Explorer of the Seas, capacity cruise during summertime, chair hogs were certainly at work. Never once saw staff remove towels/belongings nor put times on chairs, which is a great idea but I can picture hogs having family pass by periodically & pull away tags - lol.

Other cruise to Alaska so no worrying aboud deck chairs there...even though mild weather & a few kids in outdoor pool...but there was one indoor pool for adults only & youths did use pool & hot tub & no staff member said anything. Didn't bother me, they were behaving, but some other woman chased them out.

Was your experience on the Liberty your only experience with RCI? Possibly on a new large ship that particular staff was instructed to do so...or maybe my 2 experiences were the out-of-the-norm, but I'd be surprised if it has been fleet wide policy. Maybe something new to make up for the complaints people have been having for the new number of little surcharges on board.

We were on the Libertry of the Seas in January and the pool attendants did come around about 8:00 with masking tape and put times on "saved" chairs but they NEVER came back or did anything after that. Some chairs still had the piece of masking tape on them at noon.

I know this because I was in my chair (or the pool) the whole time.

FYI, I think you will enjoy a cruise on Carnival just as much as RCCL. There isn't much difference and IMHO the food is better on Carnival.

Everyone has there own reasons for wanting to be at a certain place on deck. We like to have a chair around the pool because we actually use the pool. If you want to be elsewhere thats great, but why question what others want to do?

Archived