Princess STAR - Sept. to Alaska - Questions!

Cruisin'BusyBee

Could someone help ans. a couple ?:

1. on the ship, Star, it appears to have an outdoor movie set - brrrr - won't it be too cold for Sept. to watch movies? Is there an inside movie theater anywhere on ship?

2. Ok, from NY, so know about the snow/cold, but what is Alaska really like in Sept.? Any hints for clothing would be appreciated. I suppose I could board plane in my "muck a lucks" - somewhat inconvenient for NY Sept. though........................

3. are bugs still out in Sept.?

4. 1st time to Alaska & real excited, but are the days onboard (Sea Days) still "active" as the cruises to Caribbean, ie: wine/liquor tastings, lectures and so on?

Thanks for any help here:)

C/BB

1. on the ship' date=' Star, it appears to have an outdoor movie set - brrrr - won't it be [i']too cold[/i] for Sept. to watch movies? Is there an inside movie theater anywhere on ship?

2. Ok, from NY, so know about the snow/cold, but what is Alaska really like in Sept.? Any hints for clothing would be appreciated. I suppose I could board plane in my "muck a lucks" - somewhat inconvenient for NY Sept. though........................

3. are bugs still out in Sept.?

4. 1st time to Alaska & real excited, but are the days onboard (Sea Days) still "active" as the cruises to Caribbean, ie: wine/liquor tastings, lectures and so on?

C/BB

The Star has a Movies Under the Stars screen. When you sit out and watch a movie, the ships crew will bring you blankets to keep warm with.

The middle pool has a crystal dome over the pool and is usually closed in colder climate. The do keep it warm in there. The only grand class ships that have this dome is the Grand, The Golden and the Star. The other grand class ships they put the additional deck on called the Riveria which added weight so they had to do away with the dome.

Alan

1. on the ship' date=' Star, it appears to have an outdoor movie set - brrrr - won't it be [i']too cold[/i] for Sept. to watch movies? Is there an inside movie theater anywhere on ship? I haven't been on Princess yet. Will be a few works before you.

When I was there in Sept 2007, I wasn't cold but I'm from Wyoming, my sister from Flordia was cold. I brought jeans for shore excursions and capris/dress pants and a dress for the dining room. Layers really work. So you can add/remove as you needed too. There was rain most mornings but it always cleared out by mid day.

3. are bugs still out in Sept.? I didn't notice any, but I didn't go into the woods. My DH did a fishing trip and said it wasn't bad. We brought bug repellent for "just in case".

C/BB

Enjoy your cruise!!

Alaska cruises tend toward being 'educational'. There will probably be a naturalist and possibly a park ranger on board with several lectures about Alaska in general, glaciers, animals, living conditions, etc. We even had an Iditarod sled racer on board who gave a lecture and had her dogs at the pier.

Sea days are also different in that you are not that far from land, generally, and 'up close and personal' to glaciers and very scenic views quite a bit.

As Magictam said, layers are the way to go, and bring a pair of gloves for glacier-viewing days.

From what I've read on the Alaska boards, weather can be iffy anytime - in July 2008 we had some soggy days, cold days and some sunny ones. We were awakened one night with the HUGE foghorn blasts as we traveled through some major fogbanks.

It was all pretty fabulous regardless of the weather - have a wonderful time!!

We were in Alaska last September. We looked rather strange boarding a plane in NC where the temp was 80+ degrees wearing our winter coats and boots. However what you wear (and boots are heavy) doesn't count against the airlines weight limits. The coats and boots were well used on the cold and rainy days we encountered.

We did the inside passage cruise in Sept 2007. We had wonderful sunny weather all but one day which was cold and wet - but we still did a glacier landing and walkabout on that day. We wore everything from shorts and flip flops to coats and earmuffs. No matter what weather you encounter I'm sure you will enjoy your cruise.

This isn't going to help much but we have cruised in Alaska 3 times.

The first time was toward the end of August and we read that it should be warm. It rained all 7 days and we did not bring a jacket. The second time we dressed for cold weather and it was between 78 and 82 each day. Our last time was between 65 and 75 everyday and we were the most comfortable. My wife's advice is one word. Layer.

Have a great cruise.

Bob

We enjoy Alaska very much, in fact we will be sailing on the Star on July 12, 2009

I'm also going in September on the Star, but the week after you. This will be my first time to Alaska and the biggest question I had was what to take, lol, so I'm so happy to see this thread.

The friend who I'll be travelling with, went last year in September and said that (I think) the cruise staff said it was the warmest trip they'd had yet. BUT, my friend has also been when it was quite cool. I think the layering idea is the best idea.

Usally the early part of Sept. through the middle is one of the nicest times to come. The leaves are starting to change in the Anchorage area...We haven't had our first frost yet and the skies are blue....However in South Central it is rainey....Ketikan receives 13'....yes feet...of rain a year so it is likely to rain...While it may be a bit warmer there, 45 degrees in the rain feels cold...bring raincoats, good walking shoes...weatherproofed....and layers, you will need a sweater at least and probably a jacket. One of the fleece jacquets that are so cheap now with a sweater (wool) would do just fine....Remeber in Alaska....cotton kills.....you get hypothermic very easily wearing cotton....it is downright dangerous..Have fun....An Alaskan cruise is fun anytime....and you sure can see bears at that time of the year in most places..

Thanks to all who gave (and continue to give!) such good advise and insight. :) To those going prior to me, please write a short review here when you return - it would be so great. I will likewise write one when I return. The information on these boards has been extremely valuable to helping plan my vacations. All of the Caribbean Vacations that I have been on (8!) have been very busy; I am so looking forward to relaxing and actually learning on my adventure to AK.

My Excursions tentatively: 1. Ketchican: Totem Traditions

2. Juneau: Mendenhall Glacier/Hatchery

3. Sagway: Liarsville & Salmon Bake

Comments on those anyone?

C/BB

Gloves, hooded sweatshirt, turtleneck.

In Ketchican we just hopped off at first opportunity and walked the city without crowds where we saw plenty of Totems. Walked to the Indian hatchery (there was a Totem museum here, too) via Creek Street and then on a trail (Deer Mountain I think) above that. Great views if the clouds cooperate. Tons of salmon in the creek.

Whale watching in Juneau with a stop at the glacier on the way back. The bus driver was very informative. Kept up a very interesting patter as he drove. Man, did we see whales. Saw the Gov's Mansion before we had ever heard of Sarah Palin.

Skagway, took the White Pass & Yukon RR to the pass (the short trip). I'm a train buff so it was worth it to me (and the short trip was enough, too). Walked into town, forgot to go to Starbucks(!) for no good reason other than we were in Alaska.

BTW, we had no 'bug' problems in August.

CDB

Archived