Credit Card

bee-ess

I am from the UK and will be cruising on Eurodam in July. I have a question about use of the credit card for on board charges. Does anyone know if HAL will convert the final amount to Sterling or will they on request leave it as US$ and allow the Credit Card Issuer to convert.

This issue is a problem for Non-US citizens travelling on US Cruise Lines. I have travelled on both Princess and RCI and have had problems with both. I signed a declaration on boarding on both to request that my final bill was presented to CC Issuer in US$ but both presented in UK Sterling with a 3% charge for converting and a cr*p exchange rate. Princess changed it to UK Sterling on Board on the final morning but RCI refused to despite me having signed the declaration. After months of arguing they refunded my costs but this is not the point - I want a simple holiday not months of aggravation afterwards.

Does anyone know the HAL policy on this matter ?

Being European I still got billed in US-Dollar.

Yet, I of course do not know if this is always true. I know a lot of people got upset by some cruiselines attempt to screw more money thw way you describe it.

Thanks for your replies - looks as though I may have more luck with HAL than the others.

3% of the final total plus about 3 cents to the £ on the exchange rate as well is no small amount but if enough fall for it it is a good earner for the cruiselines.

Did any of you have to sign a form asking for the bill not to be converted to your home currency ?

We are from the UK and have sailed twice with HAL - both times our bill has appeared on our credit card in US dollars without having signed any form of request. I expect you already know this, but there are only two UK credit cards which do not charge interest on foreign currency transactions: Nationwide and The Post Office. You can save quite a bit by getting one of these if you are going to spend large amounts abroad.

Enjoy your July trip on the Eurodam - we had lunch on board in Southampton before going to her dedication ceremony and prelude cruise from Rotterdam to Copenhagen last summer. Our first HAL cruise was a couple of years ago on the Ryndam in Alaska which was fantastic. This year we're trying a 10 night Mediterranean cruise on the Noordam in September and are really looking forward to sailing with HAL again.

HAL has only ever billed us in USD. As someone else suggested, some cards that offer fee free exchange on transactions are a great idea for using while cruising and spending when away from your home country. We use one of these.

Princess was able to bill us in our own currency. It was a nice touch and didnt seem so hard considering that each cruiseline is able to take payments for cruises in each currency. We liked not having to guess the final bill. Considering they are from the same parent company, HAL would do well to adopt this as well.

:D:D:D

Hi, I am due to sail at the end of the month on my 16th cruise with Hal, the final bill is in USA dollars and your credit card convert to Sterling, for the first time it was cheaper to book with Hal UK than any USA cruise company , the drop in the Value of the £ , has made it much dearer to cruise now, especially for solo cruisers , dont forget there is a $60 per day holding on your credit card, for my upcoming 20 day transatlantic cruise its $1,200, plus $11 per person for tips, you probably know all these details, anyway, please enjoy your cruise, take care, audrey:)

• 3 weeks later...

We have had 9 cruises with HAL and our onboard account has always been in $US with the UK Credit Card Co. doing the conversion to £Sterling. I have always used my Nationwide card as there have been no charges for use abroad, but this changes on 1st June/July 2009 when there will be a 1% fee for use outside the EU. This is still a lot lower than other Credit Cards. Until this year I booked all my HAL cruises with US TAs, but the current poor exchange rate means that both of this years cruises have been booked with a UK agent.

Have a great cruise.

Archived